Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:54:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biggest Mine???  (Read 2443 times)
Gameover (OP)

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 02:50:36 AM

What is the biggest mining operation in a single area (not distributed, under one roof) by a single person?

Here is one to start the list:
32Ghash
Current net income: $600/day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5f_e4P6gMA
"This rig is a hybrid of Radeon 5970 and Radeon 6990 video cards, 48 altogether, pulls about 130 amps of electrical service at current configuration and heated up our building like a furnace until I had a local HVAC company add the custom exhaust manifold/hood."

Please post others you know of with photo or video evidence.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acamus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 05:27:57 AM

i was trying to get ppl to do this too, we'll see if we can find some enormous mines!
Iceredwing

Activity: 36

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 08:48:44 AM

Unlike what many believe, I believe that much of recent hashing power growth were from old miners and not new.  Many old miners likely cashed out some holdings when the markets peaked above 8+ for the first time and added huge amount of capacity. . Doubt these people will be in a rush to show it off though.
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:36:28 PM

Unlike what many believe, I believe that much of recent hashing power growth were from old miners and not new.  Many old miners likely cashed out some holdings when the markets peaked above 8+ for the first time and added huge amount of capacity. . Doubt these people will be in a rush to show it off though.

LOL, true, although I now know of two groups that have put together a serious amount of H/W for this, and all free equipment and costs.

One academic and one banking... if / when they get caught they're gonna be bloody sorry, as they are on good money without having to do this. LOL, I have to laugh.

Gameover (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 02:21:37 PM

What do you mean when they get caught?  Do you mean their hardware is from questionable sources and being "borrowed"?

SoreGums

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:26:50 PM

What do you mean when they get caught?  Do you mean their hardware is from questionable sources and being "borrowed"?
That's what it sounds like!!! haha Smiley
i got in trouble about 5 yrs ago when i ran F@H on the work pc's when they were idle Tongue
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:42:33 PM

They shouldn't be using the equipment. One group is at a University, the other a bank/financial institution. They're tech support/networking, so able to do that, but bound to get caught at some point. Someone's gonna get too greedy, and/or make a mistake.

The question is, what can companies, academic institutions, and the like, do to prevent this ?

I should have kept my mouth shut, and kept this BTC to myself. And just made out that my online business was pulling in more money !
w128

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:02:06 PM

At a glance it seems that 4+ Ghash users are fairly common and the top 20% of miners are producing 70% of the hashrate.
keybaud

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:02:16 PM

They shouldn't be using the equipment. One group is at a University, the other a bank/financial institution. They're tech support/networking, so able to do that, but bound to get caught at some point. Someone's gonna get too greedy, and/or make a mistake.

The question is, what can companies, academic institutions, and the like, do to prevent this ?

I should have kept my mouth shut, and kept this BTC to myself. And just made out that my online business was pulling in more money !

If the people doing this read the small print of their contracts, it usually states that anything built, designed, invented, etc in company time and/or using company assets is the property of the company. This means that legally any bitcoins mined are the property of the company and the person taking them is not only misusing/abusing corporate assets they are also guilty of theft.
w128

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:23:10 PM

I imagine the chances of getting caught are pretty slim but, the penalties are likely to be severe.

If running something as innocuous SETI or F@H on company machines will get you fired and sued for the cost of power, re-imaging the machines and a subsequent security audit then hashing Bitcoin for profit is going to see the book thrown at you.

Particularly for the guys in finance. The bank is going to lose it when some security consultant tells them they need to trash every bit of equipment that has potentially been "tainted" with bitcoin and inform their customers of the breach.
orthzar

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:28:09 PM

I heard somewhere (Agorist Radio podcast, I think) that the total Bitcoin network power has surpassed the total power of the top 50(?) super computers in the world.   That was an amazing figure to hear.

It would be nice if someone could add a page to the Bitcoin wiki that lists the top 50 (or whatever) Bitcoin mining rigs.   And a list of the top mining pools.

I imagine that those employees that are using company assets to mine won't have any serious problem, unless a boss or administrator A) finds Bitcoin running on company computers and B) knows the market value of bitcoins and C) knows how much BTC the employees have mined.   A+B+C could result in a lawsuit to get the Bitcoins or getting fired; A results in a slap on wrist.   I would recommend getting to know the administrator/boss in question and then get him/her to use the idle cycles of company computers.   OTOH, if the state owns the computers and you can access then anonymously...
SoreGums

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:37:41 PM

They're tech support/networking

of course they are, that's the only people who can do this sort of thing Tongue

plus if they are all windows machines (highly likely) then the process is easily hidden, especially if task scheduled to run on idle.
w128

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:49:20 PM

I heard somewhere (Agorist Radio podcast, I think) that the total Bitcoin network power has surpassed the total power of the top 50(?) super computers in the world.   That was an amazing figure to hear.

It would be nice if someone could add a page to the Bitcoin wiki that lists the top 50 (or whatever) Bitcoin mining rigs.   And a list of the top mining pools.

I imagine that those employees that are using company assets to mine won't have any serious problem, unless a boss or administrator A) finds Bitcoin running on company computers and B) knows the market value of bitcoins and C) knows how much BTC the employees have mined.   A+B+C could result in a lawsuit to get the Bitcoins or getting fired; A results in a slap on wrist.   I would recommend getting to know the administrator/boss in question and then get him/her to use the idle cycles of company computers.   OTOH, if the state owns the computers and you can access then anonymously...

Nonsense.

"A" is the only thing that really matters here. The market value and amount mined are absolutely irrelevant.

Essentially every employer has a computer use policy which identifies any unauthorized use as grounds for termination. I've had a hand in writing and enforcing these policies.

It's not a game, particularly for any organization that deals with money or PII.

keybaud

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:31:29 PM

You can also kiss goodbye the chance of getting a tech support/admin job elsewhere if you need a reference from your previous employer that doesn't mention 'lack of integrity' and 'abuse of corporate assets'.
Gameover (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 09:21:51 PM

It doesn't strike me as very amazing that thousands or millions of computers (most of which are very specialized GPU integer processors) surpass 50 super computers that contain an equal amount of ram,disk,storage,and interconnects as they do raw floating point generalized computing, you are comparing apples to polka dotted spacecraft, not even in the same realm.

plus if they are all windows machines (highly likely) then the process is easily hidden, especially if task scheduled to run on idle.

If they are universities, they will know for sure, they have very strict budgets and a spike in power costs will definitely be noticed.  As for finance areas they will be fired for sure and it will tarnish their career, there is no way in hell they are going to trust them after such an abuse of resources, I know I wouldn't.  They have no clue what is in the bitcoin programs and utilities, they could contain anything, I know they probably don't but that isn't the point.

Gameover (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 09:22:34 PM

So there aren't any pics or info on big mines lol, everyone is keeping their cards close???

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: