Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:28:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Value drop  (Read 1382 times)
frozenkai (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:29:56 AM

I heard in about 110 days the value will decrease on bitcoins?
What is that all about?

My hard drive died and I lost all my bitcoins, help me out? 19BsFvdjtVDPHhdcYqBUi1bZ9xRopzbRjC
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:31:27 AM

I heard in about 110 days the value will decrease on bitcoins?
What is that all about?

More like value of bitcoins will increase...

In 110 days the bitcoin supply will halve, i.e. miners would receive 25 bitcoins per a solved block instead of 50 as today.
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:32:37 AM

The block reward halves approx every 4 years, not the value of bitcoin but the new supply, the reward for mining.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
frozenkai (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:54:07 AM

So mine as much as you can now?

My hard drive died and I lost all my bitcoins, help me out? 19BsFvdjtVDPHhdcYqBUi1bZ9xRopzbRjC
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:54:50 AM

So mine as much as you can now?

Mine as much as you can always. 

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:12:54 AM

Keep in mind that the block value drop is equivalent to the block difficulty doubling. And we've already seen that happen over and over. And reverse and then recover again. I expect we'll see some volatility as people come to terms with it but we should also see the difficulty drop as some miners drop out, balanced by a price increase perhaps.

I'm beginning to miss last Xmas when mining was much easier. C'est la vie.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:29:26 AM

Actually, mining profits per mhash/s are at a level nearly twice today (when considering the cost of electricity being at typical U.S. residential rates) than they were last Christmas.  This is thanks to a much higher exchange rate today -- up way more than the increase in difficulty.

- http://blockchain.info/charts/miners-operating-profit-margin

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:36:12 AM

Keep in mind that the block value drop is equivalent to the block difficulty doubling. And we've already seen that happen over and over. And reverse and then recover again. I expect we'll see some volatility as people come to terms with it but we should also see the difficulty drop as some miners drop out, balanced by a price increase perhaps.

I would not expect the events to be equivalent.  In the block value drop case, fewer BTC are entering the market which changes the supply/demand curve.  If there is fiat entering the system hoping to find BTC when this event occurs I would anticipate that BTC values would rise when measured against fiat...unless the event is fully priced in by the time it happens at least.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:18:27 AM

Actually, mining profits per mhash/s are at a level nearly twice today (when considering the cost of electricity being at typical U.S. residential rates) than they were last Christmas.  This is thanks to a much higher exchange rate today -- up way more than the increase in difficulty.

I am with the first guy, i was hoping they stayed at 5 bucks for the whole year, so i can save more of them.

edit:  meaning the diff would not have increased so much as miners with expensive electricity were not mining.....as much

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 04:23:50 AM

Actually, mining profits per mhash/s are at a level nearly twice today (when considering the cost of electricity being at typical U.S. residential rates) than they were last Christmas.  This is thanks to a much higher exchange rate today -- up way more than the increase in difficulty.

I know I'm making more $$$ now but less BTC.
I liked it better when I was making more BTC.

Also my track record for knowing when to sell at the peak is poor.
Otherwise I'd just sell high and buy more when it drops. Easier said than done.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: