Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:25:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins sent to MtGox > 12 hrs ago, no confirms on bitexplorer + computer is dead  (Read 1791 times)
Adam (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:32:24 PM

I was having some issues with my windows computer which had a couple of bitcoins on it.  I sent them in to Mt. Gox last night, and it looks like it went through because it was deducted from my account.  I then tried to start fixing the computer, but things are worse than ever right now and I can't boot into anything.  Nothing has shown up in my Mt. Gox account yet and the transfer didn't register on bitexplorer so I'm worried it never went through, and worse yet 24 hours will pass soon so the address they went to might be no good.

I think maybe because I restarted soon after sending it never entered the block (but I'm not positive on how this works).  I saved my wallet.dat folder, installed bitcoin on another computer and put it in there.  It doesn't show any balance or any transactions so I'm not sure if it's even recognizing it.

So I guess I have three questions: 

How do I restore a wallet on a new computer?  I just put it in the bitcoin directory, not sure if that is correct or not.

When I do restore it, will it keep my transaction history and hopefully confirm my transaction which hasn't gone through yet?

Finally, what happens to coins sent to a Mt. Gox address after 24 hours assuming I don't get things figured out before then?

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 05:36:32 PM

To restore a wallet on a new computer, install and run the Bitcoin software, and quit out of it after the first run.  Make sure it is fully quit and not sitting in your app tool tray.

Then go to the Bitcoin directory in Application Data (the one that contains .dat files) and just delete all files (assuming this is not one containing your real live wallet data!).  Then drop a copy of your wallet.dat into the folder, and rerun the Bitcoin client.  It should download the block chain and hopefully all should be well.  Meanwhile, a copy of the wallet.dat with your coins should be safely saved on a USB flash drive.

If your MtGox address is 24 hours old, just generate a new one.  If the transaction never went out, and doesn't appear after wallet restoration, and all your coins are there, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Adam (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:46:03 PM

Ahh, there the transactions are.  Fear alleviated, thanks.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: