Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:17:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongolia  (Read 1225 times)
RealMalatesta (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:29:06 PM

Seems a lot of mining facilities are located in Mongolia where the earthquake was. Has anybody any information about the impact on these?
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:48:00 PM

I'm not aware of a bunch in  Mongolia.  China yes there is a lot there, and growing.

From what I see hashrate does not seem to have gone down much if something did happen. 
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 10:31:23 PM

While everybody talks about cheap electricity, there is another component required for mining: reliable Internet access.

Without good, not necessarily fast, Internet access even "free" electricity is of little use.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 11:22:13 PM

While everybody talks about cheap electricity, there is another component required for mining: reliable Internet access.

Without good, not necessarily fast, Internet access even "free" electricity is of little use.

It is also true about reliability of electricity.  If you have cheap electricity it's not good if you cannot count on quality.  You need a constant supply.  If put in wrong spot you might have outages.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:01:12 AM

as far as i know you don't need good speed connection, unless you want to instamine, but this is not the case, even 1 mega bandwidth is more than enough for mining

with my two old g-blade i was using only 60kbps at best
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:05:32 AM

as far as i know you don't need good speed connection, unless you want to instamine, but this is not the case, even 1 mega bandwidth is more than enough for mining

It is true it takes very little bandwidth for mining.  Latency is a bigger thing, then amount of bandwidth.

I'm looking at upgrading my bandwidth but it has nothing to do with my mining gear.   They would be happy at current rate.

OP never did come back I still don't think Mongolia is a popular place for data centers.  
RealMalatesta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:43:15 AM

It is true it takes very little bandwidth for mining.  Latency is a bigger thing, then amount of bandwidth.

I'm looking at upgrading my bandwidth but it has nothing to do with my mining gear.   They would be happy at current rate.

OP never did come back I still don't think Mongolia is a popular place for data centers.  

I never came back, but I still watched it :-) I think that there are a lot of factors which may become important in the long run for mining. Cheap electricity definitively is one. Bandwith not so much. But then also political and geological stability. And the longer the more important ecological issues. How is the electricity produced, what is being made with the heat... things like this may become more and more an issue.
Jammalan the Prophet

Activity: 500
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:15:24 PM

Seems a lot of mining facilities are located in Mongolia where the earthquake was. Has anybody any information about the impact on these?

What earthquake are you even talking about?
RealMalatesta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:29:14 PM

There were a couple of earthquakes this week... here's some news about it:

http://english.cntv.cn/2015/04/15/VIDE1429091168815696.shtml
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:53:15 PM

Don't think mining has something to do with it...  Roll Eyes
RealMalatesta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:17:23 PM

Don't think mining has something to do with it...  Roll Eyes

That's a funny idea, however: Mining until the earth shakes :-)
Jammalan the Prophet

Activity: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 06:56:17 AM

I was pretty sure about it , that's why I asked you..

You do realize that the earthquake happened in the PROVINCE of Inner Mongolia which is a province in China  , not Mongolia.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 07:23:12 AM

You do realize that the earthquake happened in the PROVINCE of Inner Mongolia which is a province in China  , not Mongolia.

The megafarm which practically every Chinese manufacturer has deployed in is located in Inner Mongolia, not Mongolia.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure a magnitude 5.8 is small for an earthquake. The article also says "No casualties or major damage has been reported so far". If the megafarm did go offline, I'd expect a ~50-100 PH/s drop in hashrate which didn't happen as far as I can tell.
RealMalatesta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 09:59:40 AM

The megafarm which practically every Chinese manufacturer has deployed in is located in Inner Mongolia, not Mongolia.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure a magnitude 5.8 is small for an earthquake. The article also says "No casualties or major damage has been reported so far". If the megafarm did go offline, I'd expect a ~50-100 PH/s drop in hashrate which didn't happen as far as I can tell.

DIdn't realize that there's this difference between Inner Mongolia" and Mongolia. Thanks for this clarification. See, Bitcoin even helps me to learn geography.

5.8 is indeed not too big a magnitude - depending also on how long the quake is. However, why do you think that the drop would be 50-100 PH/s? So many people are writing about the cheap electricity there, FC - if I remember correctly - talked about a DC there, the new DC of Zeus is there - so one would expect that a couple of more PH would be there (btw: What are 1000 PH called?)
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 07:19:06 PM

Never heard of a single farm in Mongolia. Where did u get that info from?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 07:23:17 PM

Never heard of a single farm in Mongolia. Where did u get that info from?

I'm curious aswell.  As far as I knew most in area were actually in China, not Mongolia.

With china it makes it nice as it's in the country that many asic makers are.  Cut cost's by being able to drive a truckload of miners, instead of flying them world wide.

But I for one will always have some miners myself.  I just really enjoy it compared to cloud or hosting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: