Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:11:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Requirements  (Read 2809 times)
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 01:39:23 AM

servers are useless for mining, and certainly ram does not matter, you need a powerful asic to mine properly, or gpu if you're in the altcoin scene

There are also some CPU mineable altcoins as well:

http://www.cpucoinlist.com/

Is cex.io still viable?

They stopped their cloud mining service. Now it is just a trading platform.

I believe they do still support mining. It's just been switched off by default due to the recent price drop and they decided to shift the focus of their business to their exchange platform instead. You can choose to switch it back on if you want, although it would be pointless to do so since it's guaranteed to be unprofitable anyway:

We also want to remind everybody that we did not completely suspend our cloud mining services. We have made a switch button allowing every user manually turn on cloud mining whenever they choose to do so.

What about POS (Proof of Stake: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_Stake)  requirements.

What HasherHub said is correct. Bitcoin doesn't support proof of stake and it probably never will. However, there are altcoins that have implemented PoS such as Peercoin, NXT, and a few others. They aren't really profitable to stake though since even a large amount would only net pennies in staking rewards. There are some exceptions to this rule such as BTSX's DPoS system but there are usually other barriers toward entry (e.g. it's not easy to become a delegate). There are also coins like HYPER which have high staking rewards but the benefit is usually negated by the coin's high inflation.

The CPU/GPU power will count for the stake process or just the amount of Bitcoin altcoin a miner holds?

It's only the amount of coins you hold that matters, as well as a few other factors like coin age depending on the exact system that the coin uses. If you had 1,000 proof of stake coins, then it wouldn't matter whether you staked those 1,000 coins using a Raspberry Pi or a supercomputer.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 01:48:46 AM

servers are useless for mining, and certainly ram does not matter, you need a powerful asic to mine properly, or gpu if you're in the altcoin scene

There are also some CPU mineable altcoins as well:

http://www.cpucoinlist.com/

I would argue that CPU coins cost more to mine then you make.  And even if you run at a profit it's not a profit near paying for a rig with a nice CPU.

I wish CPU/GPU day's were here but sadly they are gone.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: