Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:04:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitInstant Credit Card and Bitcoin Prices  (Read 3024 times)
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:24:01 PM

Could this make the price of bitcoin skyrocket?  Maybe.  Bitinstant will probably convert the bitcoins to dollars when a purchase is made.

There is no probably about it.  You deposit BTC, they sell them and put the funds on your card.  So it isn't a giant BTC sink which will cause the value to skyrocket.  

Now there is always friction in any financial transaction.   Take SR for example.   If their volume doubles would the price of BTC rise?  Everything else being equal?  Yes.  Why?  There is a lag (friction) in the double conversion.  Customer buys BTC, customer sends BTC to SR, SR sells BTC.  The process isn't instananeous.  Thus some amount of BTC are required to float that cycle.  If the volume increases the amount of float increases and those coins become unavailable for other purposes.  Totally out of my ass example numbers to illustrate the effect.  SR does 100,000 BTC worth of tx per month.  The time from USD -> BTC -> USD is roughly 3 days.  That means ~10,000 BTC are "unavailable" for other purposes.  Less supply, more demand, price rises.

BitInstant offering will likely have a similar (although probably smaller) effect.  A miner may hold BTC longer simply because he can sell if/when he needs funds.  Any merchant or service (even those selling back to USD) creates the same effect.  Hopefully someday thousands or merchants and service providers and millions of years create enough demand for "float" that prices are higher and more stable.

It's refreshing to see sound economic analysis here. Way to go DeathAndTaxes. I'd add that in addition to the extra amount locked up in the time lag between purchase and selling, these cards should also make the spread narrower around the current exchange rate, which should eventually allow larger amounts of money to move through the BTC network.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2012, 06:39:03 PM by Rassah

We are definitely getting some of those for Bitcoin Magazine. Thus all our expenses except for large payments will be BTC denominated.

My brand new MAGLEV company is holding all it's cash in Bitcoin, and I like your idea: I'll issue these cards to all two of my employees Cheesy

And BTW, Vlad has an EXCELLENT point: another advantage for this card that no others provide is one for global businesses with employees in different countries. I can keep all my balances in Bitcoin, and when someone needs to spend some money anywhere in the world, I don't have to worry about what currency they use or what banks I have to spend a week transferring money through. I just send Bitcoin to their card's address, and 10 minutes later they can buy what they need.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: