Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:20:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium announces Entropy project on Indiegogo  (Read 4720 times)
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:20:16 AM

Thanks for the info on the instruction manual. Btw, the Epson XP-610 looks to be cheaper, at around $89. I haven't price checked this entire list, so maybe there's an even cheaper one on there?

I think you found the cheapest one. Personally, I would spend a bit more and get the laserjet because inkjets are very expensive per printed page for ink.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
febiz

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:23:12 PM

Damn, too bad the selphy does not work, it would be a perfect match imo..
Btw. why does it not work with some printers? As far as I understood it generates a jpg picture with the paper wallet info, weird that it cannot be printed on some devices.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:49:45 PM

Any Entropy news? Are we still on schedule for October / November delivery?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:25:57 PM

Any Entropy news? Are we still on schedule for October / November delivery?

They say it will probably ship this next week --

https://twitter.com/MyceliumCom

Mycelium.com @MyceliumCom  ·  Oct 15

Still no change in expected shipping time for Entropy (by the end of the month), but we'll have a more concrete estimate early next week

ebrahim payel

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:06:14 AM

BTC
Today, Mycelium has announced the launch of an Indiegogo project for its Mycelium Entropy device. Mycelium Entropy is the newest addition to the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet ecosystem, first announced at the Bitcoin2014 Conference in Amsterdam, and demonstrated at the Central Europe Bitcoin Expo in Vienna, as well as the recent Bitcoin in the Beltway conference in Washington DC. The project fundraiser was initially delayed when Kickstarter decided to deny it on the grounds that "Kickstarter's guidelines do not allow for offering money processing services." Attempts to explain that a hardware random number generator is not in any way a "money processing service" has failed, but the Mycelium team was not deterred, and we found a new place to host the fundraiser.

Mycelium Entropy is a small, simple USB device that is designed specifically to generate paper wallets. All you do is plug it into a printer's USB port, and the device uses specialized hardware to create a random number with 256-bits of entropy. It then uses that number to generate a paper wallet with public and private keys, which your printer sees as a JPG photo that it can print directly from the device. This is currently the most secure way to create paper wallets, since the keys are never exposed to the web, use true high level entropy, and only exist on paper. For extra security, Mycelium Entropy can also create M-of-N split keys, where the private key is split up in such a way that you need two out of three parts to spend from an address. In this way, if one of your paper backups is lost or stolen, the thief still can't steal your coins, and you can still access them using the remaining 2 paper backups. Since the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet has full support for spending from paper wallets, using Mycelium Entropy in combination with the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet can be a very safe and easy way to store and protect your savings. Think of it as being able to create your own bank deposit certificates that you can keep in a safe, while keeping only a bit of spending cash on your Android wallet. With this combination, the idea of "Be Your Own Bank" comes much closer to reality, and becomes much easier as well.

At this stage, the devices are fully functional, and need just a few minor software tweaks, such as fixing issues of incompatibility between US and European sized paper standards causing the headings on the paper wallet image to be cut off. Mostly minor things that will be resolved by the time we are ready to launch. Although the device hardware is open source, we need to raise money to be able to order them in sufficient enough quantities to make them cheaper for everyone, since mass production is much cheaper than ordering them one at a time. Also, about $1,500 of the money raised will go towards testing and compliance for these types of devices, like CE marks, FCC part 15 approvals, etc. While the devices are being developed, we will spend time testing printers and putting together a list of recommended printers to use with these, just to make sure that yours can handle this, or if it can't, to help you find the cheapest (and most secure) option you can get.

You can read many more details, and see examples, on our Indiegogo page.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 05:13:25 AM

I was hoping to be able to give some updates today, but we didn't hear back from one of our manufacturers, so hopefully I'll have an update Monday..
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:00:37 AM

Rassah, thanks for the update here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=839479.0

Btw, can anyone confirm for me if the HP Photosmart 8450 is compatible? My folks have that printer model, so I'd like to get them an Entropy if it will work!
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 12:55:13 PM

Btw, can anyone confirm for me if the HP Photosmart 8450 is compatible? My folks have that printer model, so I'd like to get them an Entropy if it will work!

Is there an easy way to test for this? Like, put a jpg on a thumb drive and see if the printer detects it?
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 09:52:42 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2014, 10:03:18 AM by Rassah

Is there an easy way to test for this? Like, put a jpg on a thumb drive and see if the printer detects it?

Yes, that's how you would test it. Plug a USB stick with a jpeg on it into the port, and see if there's some way to print it.

I read through the printer manual, and although it supports printing photos without a computer, it doesn't say if it can do that from the USB port, or if that is limited to just the memory card slots. I asked on Amazon, but if you can just do the USB stick with a jpeg photo test on it, that would be quicker. Let me know if that works, and if yes, I'll add it to our list of compatible printers.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 08:19:18 AM

Yes, that's how you would test it. Plug a USB stick with a jpeg on it into the port, and see if there's some way to print it.

I read through the printer manual, and although it supports printing photos without a computer, it doesn't say if it can do that from the USB port, or if that is limited to just the memory card slots. I asked on Amazon, but if you can just do the USB stick with a jpeg photo test on it, that would be quicker. Let me know if that works, and if yes, I'll add it to our list of compatible printers.

I did, in fact, test it this way; I directly printed a jpeg from a thumb drive plugged into it, so you can definitely add it to the list, then! Looks like I'll be ordering one. Smiley
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 08:27:27 AM

I did, in fact, test it this way; I directly printed a jpeg from a thumb drive plugged into it, so you can definitely add it to the list, then! Looks like I'll be ordering one. Smiley

Awesome. Thanks!
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 05:53:28 PM

Hey guys,

I got my Entropy today...

...well... i don't want to be a "spielverderber" but build quality really isn't there.

There is a small gap between transparent and black parts, the button is squeaking whenever i press it and sometimes it does not go back... so i have to pull it out manually with my nails...

After such a long wait... I have to say i am a bit disappointed.

Device itself works fine, though.

Question: can i take the casing off and use it without? Does this change entropy generator in any way?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:32:08 AM

I received mine.

https://mycelium.com/assets/entropy/me.html

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: