Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:51:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I take a short position on BTC exchange rates?  (Read 1724 times)
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:48:08 AM

Is there a comprehensive list of companies that offer shorting and BTC denominated options?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:03:12 AM

Sorry, here in bitcoin land we don't short anymore.  We tried it, but it just fucked everything up.  Your only option is long.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:49:53 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2012, 04:50:43 AM by odolvlobo

You can always get a loan, sell the BTC for $, and later convert back and repay the loan. Unfortunately, lending rates are very high and it will be difficult to make a profit.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:13:35 AM

Sorry, here in bitcoin land we don't short anymore.  We tried it, but it just fucked everything up.  Your only option is long.

If it was done correctly would a derivatives market in bitcoin (short positions, options) be a benefit?
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:24:12 AM

https://icbit.se/ futures may work for what you want.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:24:54 AM

I've had a good experience trading small amounts at icbit.se

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:50:01 PM

Such a blatantly misleading claim can't stand uncorrected.

Fact is, we had some more viable short selling facilities. But there was no outright obvious effect on the rates. Some were able to detect some local effects, which could be quoted to support both the "pro" and the "contra" viewpoint.

And while we're about to correct FUD, it is also not true that e.g. a platform like Bitconica is outright financial hazard and must collapse necessarily. From a financial viewpoint, that platform was constructed in a sane manner and did work indeed -- mind me, without forcing the platform to bet against its customers.

What indeed fucked everything up was the lazy attitude towards IT security and coding standards. Plus an overall unprofessional attitude towards any business best practices, like e.g. how to communicate with ones customers.

As others already pointed out, currently http://ICBIT.se is the only simple and easy to use solution allowing to take a short position without the need to actually sell your assets. Don't expect too much, the market is still rather illiquid. But personally it served me well to hedge my BTC positions partially, especially at times as right now, where corrections are imminent.

PS: I know I know, proudhon always writes with a grain of irony, but the OP asked a plain and straight question and deserves a plain ans straight answer
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:36:53 PM

Such a blatantly misleading claim can't stand uncorrected.

Fact is, we had some more viable short selling facilities. But there was no outright obvious effect on the rates. Some were able to detect some local effects, which could be quoted to support both the "pro" and the "contra" viewpoint.

And while we're about to correct FUD, it is also not true that e.g. a platform like Bitconica is outright financial hazard and must collapse necessarily. From a financial viewpoint, that platform was constructed in a sane manner and did work indeed -- mind me, without forcing the platform to bet against its customers.

What indeed fucked everything up was the lazy attitude towards IT security and coding standards. Plus an overall unprofessional attitude towards any business best practices, like e.g. how to communicate with ones customers.

As others already pointed out, currently http://ICBIT.se is the only simple and easy to use solution allowing to take a short position without the need to actually sell your assets. Don't expect too much, the market is still rather illiquid. But personally it served me well to hedge my BTC positions partially, especially at times as right now, where corrections are imminent.

PS: I know I know, proudhon always writes with a grain of irony, but the OP asked a plain and straight question and deserves a plain ans straight answer

Bitcoinica did have some issues that would have become apparent as bitcoin grew.  But for such a small market, the slippage risks were acceptable.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:36:03 PM

Bitcoinica did have some issues that would have become apparent as bitcoin grew.  But for such a small market, the slippage risks were acceptable.

Indeed.

Plus, from the leaked documents we can conclude that in the last weeks of ordinary operation, while the BTC rate was so stable sitting at $5, the platform wasn't profitable anymore, but basically a zero sum or even slightly negative. Zhou Tong considered (or even started) to play with the hedge factor, which means he started betting against the average of his customers.

For a Contract-for-Difference platform there is a very faint line separating fair minded operation from cheating and ripping off the customers. For example, if the operator notices that a large majority of the customers holds positions against the market trend, so that an avalanche of forced liquidations is imminent, it would be a good idea and actually responsible behaviour to reduce the hedge factor in advance, to prevent the platform from losses due to slippage. Yet under slightly different conditions, the same behaviour could be interpreted as an attempt to use the insider knowledge (of the actual effective positions) for elegantly pocketing some of the customer's money...
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:52:38 PM

This made me LOL Wink
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 10:13:58 PM

Sorry, here in bitcoin land we don't short anymore.  We tried it, but it just fucked everything up.  Your only option is long.

This made me LOL Wink

Proudhon makes a good zhou bitcoinica hacker.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: