Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:54:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi! Newbie interested in buying dead alt-coins  (Read 2268 times)
MAD_MAD (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:05:21 PM

I'm making a kind of coin graveyard. It's a vanity thing (hey, I own all of them useless dead make-believe things!). So, I'm gonna buy up as much as I can of some dead chain (haven't yet chosen which, so advice is welcome  Cheesy ) and make some silly "here lies insertname failed alt-chain" (I wonder if I can sneak that into gonetoosoon, at least for the time being lol)

Of course, the amount of bitcoins I intend to cough up for deal alt-chain coins will be tiny (I am not mad enough to pay anything remotely approaching considerable money for silly cryptographic memorabilia), but hey, if you have dead coins I want, you can get something (however tiny) for nothing, or stay with nothing.

I'd appreciate if mods moved this to alt-coin forum and gave me permission to post there, but will stay and pickle here in the newb forum for the required amount of time if that's how the music goes...
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 10:15:28 PM

Maybe it would be helpful to actually specify an alt chain you imagine to be dead?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MAD_MAD (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:28:20 PM

Well, in no particular order:

Liquidcoin
Ixcoin
i0coin
GeistGeld
Coiledcoin
Tenebrix
BBQCoin
Solidcoin

all are functionally dead.

I have not chosen which of them will be first in my memorial, and am thus open to your suggestions.

[Edit]
P.S.:
Upon some thought, some kind of residual hashing has to take place in a dead coin for me to buy it.

I could supply a bit of hashrate to some of them just to get a purchase, while others have hashrates of their own despite death (i0coin and ixcoin are "undead coins" LOL)

I'll see which coins are easy enough to work with in this regard (i0 and ix seem attractive as far as hashrate is concerned), but that's far from only factor determining the decision.

So, which coin should I buy?

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:45:55 PM

The problem is, by definition if they are dead, you can't buy them.

If there's no network supporting transactions, how will  you be able to transfer the coins into your wallets?  Are you going to buy wallet files? I think not.

If there are still transactions happening and block chain is still growing, the most you can say is "dying", not dead.
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 10:48:01 PM

There is at least one exchange that still trades most of those coins:
https://vircurex.com/

If you want to buy some, that would be a good place to start.  If you're trying to get them below market price, I'm not sure why the selling wouldn't just put them on the exchange instead. Most (all?) of the coins you mentioned are still are live. 

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
MAD_MAD (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:53:44 PM

The problem is, by definition if they are dead, you can't buy them.

If there's no network supporting transactions, how will  you be able to transfer the coins into your wallets?  Are you going to buy wallet files? I think not.

If there are still transactions happening and block chain is still growing, the most you can say is "dying", not dead.

Well, it seems to me some people just forgot to pull the plug Wink

Anyway, worst come to worst I have a byte of hashrate of my own to put on a dead coin for long enough for me to get the salvage.

So, not a big issue.

There is at least one exchange that still trades most of those coins:
https://vircurex.com/

If you want to buy some, that would be a good place to start.  If you're trying to get them below market price, I'm not sure why the selling wouldn't just put them on the exchange instead. Most (all?) of the coins you mentioned are still are live.  

Hmmm indeed.

GG and TBX don't seem to be traded there, so... they must be the deadest!  Grin Guess I'll start with one of those two...

Which one? Hm, decisions decisions...
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 01:12:56 AM

Why buy them, their difficulty is probably low enough you can mine them, even with a CPU...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:25:46 AM

How about starting your collection with 25,000 BBQCoins? They're yours for .5 BTC.
MAD_MAD (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:05:24 AM

Why buy them, their difficulty is probably low enough you can mine them, even with a CPU...

-MarkM-

Well, since it's a vanity thing, the point of the exercise is becoming the girl who owns the majority of a given dead chain's existing coins.

It can be achieved by mining a dead chain for half a year or so, or by buying out a large chunk of what the dead coin's first adopters have.

Second option is faster (also, nothing keeps me from combining the two, but mining a dead coin for an extended period of time does not seem like an attractive idea)

How about starting your collection with 25,000 BBQCoins? They're yours for .5 BTC.

I haven't yet chosen which coin to collect.

I am currently considering TBX and BBQ, however, I might say that 0.5 BTC for 25000 BBQCs is rich. I might co(i)nsider  Grin buying 50 000 dead coins at 0.005-0.5 (depending on which coin I chose) and,  to be very very honest, I'd say BBQcoins would be in the 0.0x department. No offense intended  Smiley )

P.S.:
Anyone knows where Lolcust is?

If I choose TBX, I want to try convincing him to sell me the laundry fund Cheesy
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 08:12:05 AM

To be the largest holder you likely need to buy at least a million of whatever type of coin you choose, and possibly several million.

If you don't like the BBQcoin price you've been offered for 25,000 good luck getting people's half million or few million of them...

(DeVCoin are so cheap lately on VIrcurex though you could maybe pick up half a million DeVCoins for half a bitcoin, but, there are a thousand times as many devcoins as there are of most other coins so still good luck becoming largest holder. Its not dead though so luckily its not a candidate.)

-MarkM-

"Them there ain't dead, them there is antiques!" Smiley

MAD_MAD (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:16:52 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2012, 10:33:04 AM by MAD_MAD

Well, that settles it - I'm collecting TBX since there is about 678 000 in existence (not counting Lolcust's laundry fund. I've PMed him with a fairly generous offer, but gut feeling tells me he won't budge...)

Even if Lolcust refuses to sell me anything, I'll be the second largest holder which is ok by me.

So,for now, I am collecting TBX. Decided. If you just wanna give away TBX, send them here:
tHPSAPTRyAMypEGVosvG4Bz68TPdW3unSj

If you want to trade them, post your offer.

Any offers? Anyone got TBX ?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 08:21:50 AM

For a moment there I thought maybe you'd out-collector'd me, but turns out I do have a tenebrix client so I am trying to fire it up now to see if I ever actually managed to get any coins into its wallet...

Nope, sorry, I don't have any. Maybe I can mine some though if it finds a connection or I bother firing up a second copy of it so it has someone to talk to so it can mine... Oh hey, it seems to think it has one connection! I wonder if that will actually pan out... Maybe it is you?

-MarkM-

MAD_MAD (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:32:12 AM

Well, I am running a TBX client now, so...

Hi Markm  Kiss

BTW, I think I'll put a bit of hashrate on this thing so transactions can get through...
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 08:36:48 AM

Yeah I fired up minerd on it too, though I only have four cores and already have two minerd's working (all under "nice" aka low priority), one on BBQcoin and one on a p2pool-for-liteccoin.

Since it is officially a collector's item now I guess I might as well see if I can stick with it long enough to at least get a block for my altcoins collection. Smiley

-MarkM-

iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:29:03 AM

I have almost a thousand TBX, PM your price per TBX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: