Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:32:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Understanding Cold storage  (Read 2016 times)
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:53:38 AM

I recommend you to get a Linux live CD. You can achieve this by downloading a Linux ISO file and then creating your own live CD by following these steps:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/create-linux-live-usb-in-mac/
Then download the code for a paper wallet generator. I recommend bitaddress.org: https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom

With that, completely disconnect your computer from the network and boot the live CD. Unzip the wallet generator and use it to generate your wallet, completely offline.

Another option is using Deck Wallet if you have an Android device. Check my signature.

Side topic, I saw the tutorials using bitaddress.org. but... seems kinda odd that one would start on the internet, to generate a wallet, that you intend to keep off the internet... especially a website... which are notorious for being spied on.

Is there no way to create a wallet while offline?

Please read my post again, both options I mention are 100% offline. This is an important step:
https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom
You need to download the code of the wallet generator and then run it completely offline on your disconnected live CD. You are not generating the wallet online. I hope it's clear now.

The only thing I'd add to what EcuaMobi said is that it doesn't literally have to be a CD.  These days linux on a thumb-drive is a lot more common (from what I've seen) and a lot of  newish computers don't even have optical drives anymore (my laptop from 4 years ago doesn't have a CD drive).  However, if you:

:%s/CD/thumb drive/g

Then I agree completely!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cyclotronmajesty (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 03:37:10 PM

OK thanks all. I think i'm going to try getting a raspberry pi and running the Linux OS on it.

But until then what is up with Electrum not able to create a wallet while offline?

Whenever I disconnect from the internet and try to create a new wallet it gives me this message:

███  ███
    ███      ███
  ███          ███
███              ███

███              ███
  ███          ███
    ███      ███
      ███  ███

LANCECHAIN

║▮
║▮
║▮