Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:58:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin website bank.  (Read 2852 times)
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2010, 07:01:21 PM

Since I've basically given up on generating, I would prefer to deposit my bitcoins into an on-line bitcoin bank.

Advantages:
Let the bank worry about my wallet.dat file. I'd pay to insure the balance.
Give me a better interface for making and receiving payments. I want to pay "TAABL" or "Charlie", not "14uIjoimio32mqZai0"
Completely portable.
I can get my friends & family into bitcoins by pointing them to a website instead of downloading an application.
More of a 'banking' feel.
Someone on these boards (Free Money?) mentioned it would be nice to have employees do basic cash register without complete access to entire wallet and balance. This could be done.

Dis-advantages
I don't trust anyone with my coins yet. Don't know why, I have all my $$$ in banks around where I live.

Basically, I see an advantage to have people get into bitcoins without ever going to bitcoin.org. I'm just not smart enough to implement my own idea.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
September 09, 2010, 07:47:39 PM

something like: https://www.mybitcoin.com/ ?
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2010, 08:04:34 PM

ummm. yeah! thanks!

if its your site, well done.

mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2010, 01:32:17 AM

or mtgox does this also.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2010, 01:53:18 AM

or mtgox does this also.

Do you to transfers between accounts? I think that's a main feature he's interested in.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2010, 02:36:28 AM

or mtgox does this also.

Do you to transfers between accounts? I think that's a main feature he's interested in.

Hey FreeMoney -- can you vouch for MyBitcoin? It looks like a pretty handy service. However, I'm curious as to how well backed up the coins are. I back up my wallet in several locations after each transaction. I wonder if MyBitcoin has an intelligent backup system... what happens if I use myBitcoin and the server's HD dies?
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2010, 04:41:26 AM

or mtgox does this also.

When your merchant stuff gets going, your site will be ideal. I would really like to have more control over incoming bitcoin addresses. I sold about 10 things on biddingpond, and I wanted to create an address, assign it a name like "Auction 30 - butter knives." The bitcoin program is still the best for sorting incoming bitcoins.

Would be great if I could use it on biddingpond, but I don't know the final price until the auction ends, and if I remember correctly, it wanted a price? Something I either couldn't figure out or couldn't do.

congrats on a great site.

The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
September 10, 2010, 06:21:12 AM

Funny you should mention this. I emailed MyBitcoin yesterday. I asked those exact same questions. Great minds think alike, I guess.  Roll Eyes

I was told that they do hourly snapshots on a 90 day loop to 2 remote servers, and that the server they are on has RAID, etc.

They also told me that they back the "deposits" 100%. I wonder if they'll publish stats. It would be interesting to see their payment velocity, average account holdings, etc.

Cheers! Cheesy

Hey FreeMoney -- can you vouch for MyBitcoin? It looks like a pretty handy service. However, I'm curious as to how well backed up the coins are. I back up my wallet in several locations after each transaction. I wonder if MyBitcoin has an intelligent backup system... what happens if I use myBitcoin and the server's HD dies?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2010, 08:17:17 AM

or mtgox does this also.

I don't know them and haven't used them beyond setting up an account.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: