Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:00:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to mining and have some questions  (Read 1899 times)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 04:31:47 AM

Hello,

I have couple of Antminer s3+ machines and I noticed that they are all recording huge amounts of rejects and discards when mining bitcoins. The reject on this one Is low, but on others very high.
What is it that I am doing wrong?

GH/S   430.55
ACCEPTED -  1,535
DISCARDED  - 42,455
REJECTED - 13

Also, any good pools out there to mine?

Thanks.

There's nothing wrong here. You are mixing up discarded WORK with accepted and rejected SHARES. Disregard the discarded value.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OSAMan1

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:22:57 PM

Hello,

I have couple of Antminer s3+ machines and I noticed that they are all recording huge amounts of rejects and discards when mining bitcoins. The reject on this one Is low, but on others very high.
What is it that I am doing wrong?

GH/S   430.55
ACCEPTED -  1,535
DISCARDED  - 42,455
REJECTED - 13

Also, any good pools out there to mine?

Thanks.

Hi it's OSAMan1

I think you should do this and place it into your troubleshooting and record the results: Step 1. Go to Bitmain Antminer's direct website https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm and Step 2 download the latest firmware for your device Antminer S3 from the support page Step 3. Pull up your Static IP that your miner is on 192.186.1.XX or 1.XXX 4. Make sure you also download the Antminer  S3 Manual https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633 - for any other matter within the troubleshooting Scientific Method in terms of the process of elimination. Step 5. back on the page where your Static IP that your miner is on 192.186.1.XX or 1.XXX Click on the System Page click on Backup /Flash Firmware Step 6. Locate Flash new firmware image at the bottom of the screen Step 7. Now click on " No file Chosen " to the right of "Choose File" and find your DOWNLAODED FILE of >> antMiner_S320150109.bin << the latest Firmware currently on the Bitmain website Step 8. Click Save and Apply or the you should see the standard spinning or a working update to the left side Step 9. Go Check after a Save or Update takes. Step 10. Optional do a reboot after putting new firmware in.  

Truly      

P.S. Let me know if you overclocked it or not already before this problem started. 
olumidea1234 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 09:53:23 PM

Hello,

I already performed those steps. Still the same thing.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 11:34:15 PM

Hello,

Did you try other pools?    Did you try antpool with it?

Different pools can make a big effect. Latency, and how far server is, how good it is.  Just a lot of things in the mix.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 03:03:24 AM

Why are you not listening to the person who wrote the software you're using?

There's nothing wrong here. You are mixing up discarded WORK with accepted and rejected SHARES. Disregard the discarded value.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
wh00per

Activity: 571
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:49:58 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 03:03:58 PM by wh00per

Why are you not listening to the person who wrote the software you're using?

I guess the issue here is that he does not understand what "discarded work" means, does not know who wrote the software he's using and thinks that "discarded work" means that the miner will have somehow a diminished hash rate recorded by the pool, hence less income.

To put it in layman's terms, your miner is trying to find blocks. It's a brute-force approach with some parameters initiated by the pool. The miner finds hash results which fit more or less with what the pool wants to receive. If the hash results your miner finds do not comply with the minimum pool requirements they're discarded. When you submit a share and it's accepted, the pool takes into account (statistically) that you hashed a certain number of times and most of the time the hash result was under the pool requirements. When a pool rejects your share that means you hashed for nothing and the effort does not count towards your income. This is what you should monitor.

The hash results of your miner are at best, a function of luck. For a given number of blocks found (if any), you will have a large number of hashes submitted and accepted by the pool, a small number of rejected shares which were hashed in error, an average amount of hardware errors, mostly if you overclock the units and the hash result is not actually a valid hash result ..  and another large number of "discarded" shares, with results so poor that even the mining software will not send the results to the pool in order to conserve bandwidth. When -ck says you should disregard this value with respect to your accepted and/or rejected shares .. it is the most qualified opinion you might get .. ever.

The best use of the discarded work vs total shares is to "compute" your luck (or how lucky your miner is) with respect to the pool requirements. As I said above  on a different pool with low pool requirements you might have a smaller "discarded" value, but higher bandwith and more or less the same considered hashrate or income (considering all pools with the same hidden costs).  

.. what I'm pissed of, is the number of unqualified opinions giving wrong advice ..

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: