Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:21:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fetching posts without reloading page!  (Read 1217 times)
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 03:31:58 AM

Hello,

Will there be an option to fetch posts without reloading the page? A refresh button or similar, so new posts will be fetched and can be seen without reloading. If not, adding this will be good IMHO. Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:20:44 AM

It sounds like an unnecessary waste of bandwidth to me. People could have their tabs open without actually looking at them and you would still be using up the forum's bandwidth. That is, if it is done automatically. If it is done manually then, yeah, it would be a nice feature to have to save a second or two per load, but nothing crucial.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 07:43:21 AM

It sounds like an unnecessary waste of bandwidth to me. People could have their tabs open without actually looking at them and you would still be using up the forum's bandwidth. That is, if it is done automatically. If it is done manually then, yeah, it would be a nice feature to have to save a second or two per load, but nothing crucial.

Yes, it is done manually. I don't like automation in this feature.

=snip=
A refresh button or similar, so new posts will be fetched and can be seen without reloading.
=snip=

coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:21:31 AM

Yeah, I too think the idea is a good one. I've never thought about it or been in need of it, but if the option were there I would probably use it.

Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 03:23:48 PM

I think it can be easy coded , like a script to refresh posts every X seconds and if return true , get the new posts
just need a little work , and will be a good option , also some users may not like it , someone can have limited
bandwidth or something like this  Cheesy .

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 05:42:15 PM

I think it can be easy coded , like a script to refresh posts every X seconds and if return true , get the new posts
just need a little work , and will be a good option , also some users may not like it , someone can have limited
bandwidth or something like this  Cheesy .

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy.

No "automation".

=snip=
A refresh button or similar, so new posts will be fetched and can be seen without reloading.
=snip=

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

=snip=
=snip=
Ah, in that case I don't see a problem, since it really isn't too different from what we already do. In fact, it'd be even better since only part of the page would be refreshed, saving some bandwidth. It also shouldn't be hard to do. You have my support.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
mitzie
Legendary

Activity: 975
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 11:02:44 PM

Could be easily implemented with Ajax and jQuery. I think that it is a nice feature to have
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:50:08 PM

Would be nice for support / help threads or others where you needed to pay attention +1, good feature
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 12:01:23 AM

Actually this can be automatic and save bandwidth (not only not waste it) if done properly:

Something like infinite scroll can be implemented via jQuery and that could be triggered only when the tab is on focus and a scroll happens. Another option is to query regularly (every 30 seconds or so) for new posts only when the page is on focus (even if no scroll happens) but only a boolean would be returned indicating whether or not new posts are available on that specific thread (cache could be used server-side if several users are on the same thread). If there are new posts then a message would appear and the user would need to click on it to have them loaded. Gmail does this for new emails on the current conversation.

Only a few bytes would be queried only when the site is on focus. This would prevent a lot of users to hit F5 just in case, wasting a lot of bandwidth and -even worst- DB queries and other resources.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: