Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:58:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitinstant paycard  (Read 26562 times)
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:41:09 AM

Sign me up for the first 1000 freebie.

I'll use it every where I go, unless I can talk them into a direct bitcoin payment.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 09:02:43 AM

Will I be able to buy the paycard itself with bitcoins?

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 01:02:17 PM

So, once everyone has the cards, no-one will ever need to use them again.  Grin
Maybe some bankers can actually read the writing on the wall and will not go extinct.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 01:04:32 PM

So, once everyone has the cards, no-one will ever need to use them again.  Grin
Maybe some bankers can actually read the writing on the wall and will not go extinct.

Only a matter of time until a bank, likely a Swiss one, allows you to have an account in BTC  Grin
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 01:08:18 PM

Im scared if I leave this in the house the wife will spend my coins  Cheesy

aghori

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:31:47 PM

Pre-ordered!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 05:25:32 PM

Kinda sucks that the wait is still up to ten minutes. Otherwise I would use this card while empty, on purpose, then say excuse me and load it up from my phone's Bitcoin waller right in front of them. Seeing charging a card up so quickly from a phone, directly to the card (scanning the QR code on it) will be a sufficiently unusual thing for them to start asking questions about. Maybe I'll just do that at 2pm after the lunch rush is over and they are empty.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:29:13 PM

I'm guessing a SSN/Tax ID is going to be required for AML/PATRIOT ACT bullshit.

Absolutely.  The gubment isn't gonna let anyone do electronic transactions in USD without the mark on their forehead.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:39:43 PM

I'm guessing a SSN/Tax ID is going to be required for AML/PATRIOT ACT bullshit.

Absolutely.  The gubment isn't gonna let anyone do electronic transactions in USD without the mark on their forehead.
Then I guess my new name for the card is "Mark Forehead."  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:19:36 PM

Signed myself up too.  Wink
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:28:04 PM

This card is MEGA awesomeness. It's the ticket to mainstream Bitcoin use. Once this card becomes common among Bitcoin users (and it will), merchants will look at accepting Bitcoin directly with much more interest. Money talks and it will be cheaper for everyone to accept Bitcoin directly.

I just hope that this is true. That they can do it with the fees they propose. If they can, this is the biggest thing since Silk Road.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:05:44 PM

This has vast potential for raising awareness amongst the masses.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:09:36 PM

Signed myself up too.  Wink
+1

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

This card is MEGA awesomeness. It's the ticket to mainstream Bitcoin use. Once this card becomes common among Bitcoin users (and it will), merchants will look at accepting Bitcoin directly with much more interest. Money talks and it will be cheaper for everyone to accept Bitcoin directly.
Every new thing helps, but this won't lead to high adoption except to teach them about the advantage of a highly liquid, deflationary, and fungible international currency. This will be the must have item for jetsetters. Oh, and I still would like an unbranded brainwallet version.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 08:28:34 PM

I am salivating right now. This goes beyond just helping to get bitcoins out there. It is a very useful card as well.

The way I see it is this. Right now I have a weekly budget. I have my direct deposit go into one account, then it moves a week's worth of spending money to another checking account. My wife and I use the spending card for our day to day spending while the main account is used for bills.

Now, with this, I set up a Dwolla instant transfer every day I get paid. It goes to MtGox and gets converted to BTC. I then set up a weekly transfer to my BitInstant card for my weekly spending budget.

One question I have is...can I use this card to pay for bills online? Many of my bills accept a debit card for automatic payments.

If I could get all of my bills paid with this I could have all of my money converted to Bitcoins through my direct deposit of my paycheck. The only reason to have a bank account would be to send my direct deposit from work to Dwolla.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 09:21:49 PM

can I use this card to pay for bills online? Many of my bills accept a debit card for automatic payments.

+1 on this question

Yankee?

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 09:30:03 PM

can I use this card to pay for bills online? Many of my bills accept a debit card for automatic payments.

+1 on this question

Yankee?

Of course, not even a doubt.

Anything your Visa/MS card can do, this can do. Its a regular debit card. Can do PIN and Signature transactions.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Timbo925

Activity: 352

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 09:32:51 PM

Watching this way because the watch thing doesn't seem to work.
Also put my name on the list for one of these Cheesy

-Timbo925
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:13:40 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2012, 02:34:50 AM by Stephen Gornick

Anything your Visa/MS card can do, this can do. Its a regular debit card. Can do PIN and Signature transactions.

Will I be able to do a direct deposit of USDs to the card?  (Update: If not, since BitInstant already takes Dwolla I could use that to buy bitcoins and load them instead.)

I gotta think, who needs a bank account after this?  Store your wealth in bitcoins, spend in dollars using this card until bitcoins can be used for making payment at the point of sale. and until bitcoins are accepted by more of ecommerce merchants.

While prepaid debit cards loaded with bitcoins has been something we've been able to do for a while, this is the least expensive method (1.5% of funds loaded) versus the others.  And at the same time it is a very convenient method.

The Bitcoin ecosystem is making progress at disintermediating banks.  This will benefit today's "unbanked" and it will be an enabler for those who are voluntarily considering going without a bank account.

This reminds me of Peter Schiff (Euro Pacific International Bank)'s gold-denominated Mastercard debit card.  It works the same way, you can convert some of your gold holdings into USDs or EURs and minutes later user those funds for spending with a swipe of the card.
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDi7FLcH7iY#t=330s

The difference though is that Schiff couldn't offer that to U.S. customers as the account is held offshore.   With BitInstant's paycard, that's not where I'm storing my bitcoins except what I have there for spending that I plan to make.  If I have an unexpected need for spending, I can load the BTC account for the card with more bitcoins at no charge and in minutes.  Bitcoin is becoming a better offshore bank than anything offered anywhere else.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:31:36 AM

Bitcoin is becoming a better offshore bank than anything offered anywhere else.

The offshore bank in your pocket!

Seriously though, your points are what the ultimate goal of Bitcoin for people to realize its awesome utility as a payment infrastructure.

This author says it the best:

The underlying cause to much of the volatility that the BitCoin market experiences is the relatively small amount of value that it captures. Whilst as a whole the BitCoin market is valued at some $97 million (total number of BitCoins in existence multiplied by current price) the total transaction volume on any given day usually only averages $80,000. That’s incredibly open to manipulation and showcases just how crazy those peak trading days, the ones where the value changing hands is on the order of 3 times the average, really are.

Now I don’t pretend to have a solution to this but a new startup called BitInstant might have the right idea when it comes to injecting more value into the market and hence (hopefully) reducing its volatility.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: