Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:08:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero good or bad?  (Read 771 times)
Laniakea (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 06:24:34 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 12:57:13 AM by Laniakea

Ok so from reading this forum I get that the general consensus is that Monero is interesting technology. However, I haven't had the chance to read a lot about this from a technological point of view. Why is it that the Bitcoin developers claim Monero is flawed in its very core?

Could some of the technology-affine folks dive into this here please? I want to learn more.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Laniakea (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 06:37:26 AM

because it is true, RIP XMR, do not even bother.
Sorry, I've actually opened this thread because I wanted folks who actually do understand the technology behind Monero to post here. I wasn't looking for amateurs to post random remarks in this thread. Now don't get me wrong, it's fine to post that in another thread, but please just refrain from doing it here to keep the thread nice, clean and free from non-technological chit chat. Thanks!

GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 08:03:46 AM

Going by your trolling, did the owner of this forum find flawed technology interesting?

Quote from: theymos link=topic=885736.msg9780400#msg9780400
I'm not usually interested in altcoins myself, but I can see how people can enjoy them. Most altcoin "investing" is a lot like gambling. I can see how trying to navigate and manipulate these tiny markets could be fun for a lot of people. These pump-and-dump altcoins aren't really competitors to Bitcoin: they're really a way of using your bitcoins to gamble. There are also a handful of technologically interesting altcoins like Monero, which I think are very useful for testing new ideas that might one day be incorporated into Bitcoin.

Get a life, quit trolling, you are not good at it
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 08:06:15 AM

why dont you just post under your real account name instead of trolling under a newbie?

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 10:59:07 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2015, 11:20:49 AM by e-coinomist

Ok so from reading this forum I get that the general consensus is that Monero is flawed technology. However, I haven't had the chance to read a lot about this from a technological point of view. Why is it that the Bitcoin developers claim Monero is flawed in its very core?

Could some of the technology-affine folks dive into this here please? I want to learn more.

Perhaps a link or a quote or anything, on that ^^^ ?

Some solid investment advise: Never go only for one coin.
An example: Taking some NXT and some NEM. Since NXT is the more established coin, and NEM somehow the not-so-young newcomer, you took 2/3 NXT + 1/3 NEM. Current situation? Well NEM is heading for parity with DOGE  Undecided but NXT was like 4000sat weeks ago now 4500sat, that's a plus. Sell some, stock up NEM on an unbelieveable level. Time continues, the ballance between these two will be shifting again.

But on the long scale we really need coins that rise in value, and that means good old Bitcoin first and foremost. There is no flawed technology, there only is flawed mass adoption out there. Was looking for how PayPal embraces Bitcoin now, great news on it's own. Just ... was looking for buying BTC with PayPal, and there still the same old problems continue to exist.

Monero did very well in 2015 so far. You could have bought at 0.0011 and sold at 0.0035 nearly trippling your portfolio in value. Perhaps this thread should be renamed, "Why is Monero BULLish 2015"
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 12:24:56 PM

Ok so from reading this forum I get that the general consensus is that Monero is flawed technology. However, I haven't had the chance to read a lot about this from a technological point of view. Why is it that the Bitcoin developers claim Monero is flawed in its very core?

After reading your post history, I think you're legitimately searching for information. Though, I'm not sure where you're getting your facts about BTC devs saying XMR is flawed at the core level--some praise it in fact--as Kazuki49 has pointed out. I believe Gavin Andresen was critical about some specific issue implementing a cryptonote protocol, but can't find the remark with ease, so I'll look for it another time and post it if I find it.

Here's some good places to do your own research that aren't overly techie (high word to math ratio):

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/209/editorial-what-s-so-special-about-monero

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7765455

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/29471/is-there-any-true-anonymous-cryptocurrencies

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: