Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:36:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] S.DICE - SatoshiDICE 100% Dividend-Paying Asset on MPEx  (Read 316125 times)
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:30:20 AM

Despite our forum clashes, I humbly and with goodwill ask:

Would you mind de-listing S.DICE temporarily to encourage shareholders to put pressure on the site operators to stop taking advantage of the block chain during this critical stage of Bitcoin growth? I know this might go against your short term financial interests but really if you stop to think about it, the "startup capital" of the Bitcoin network (gmaxwell's terminology for the currently unused space in each block) is going to unproductive activity which does not grow the Bitcoin economy.

If nothing is done about SD transaction spam (economically unspendable outputs which can't be pruned), transaction fees will be driven higher and every miner will bear the cost of forever storing these unprunable tx in their copies of the blockchain. In the long run, increased fees are not a problem but at the early stage we are in, it could dampen Bitcoin adoption or possibly kill it.

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The approach proposed is fundamentally flawed in multiple places.

First and foremost, the only reasonable authority in Bitcoin is derived through the working of
contracts. Put another way this states that the power of "a collective", ie a group of users no
 matter how large to dispose for the future is nil. Put in yet another way, Bitcoin is not a
democracy, but a republic.

Consequently, to propose that MPEx breach its contract with SatoshiDICE because you would like
me to is a waste of breath : you are not a party to that contract, and consequently you have no
standing whatsoever in that relationship. The contract specifies clearly how it works, and it
will work as such.

Secondly, and just as importantly : the current codebase is broken beyond belief. As explained
in an earlier Trilema article, the main problems Bitcoin faces currently come from the general
inability and ineptitude of the de facto dev team. These problems are a. that users can not
create arbitrary size transactions up to the size of one full block ; b. that the client does
not correctly select the best possible combination of available inputs to feed a list of
arbitrary outputs. More generally speaking the codebase is replete with magic numbers, which is
no way to code. The fact that a 7Gb download takes an hour if we're talking a movie and a week
if we're talking the blockchain - especially considering that the average torrent rarely has
over 100 seeders and the Bitcoin blockchain rarely has under 1k - is further testament to the
utter inability of the core team.

Consequently, the correct approach is for these people to either fix the codebase - which will
require serious work - or else step down and let other people do it. The early enthusiasm of
"everyone's welcome and we're glad to have you" may have bridged us between Bitcoin being worth
nothing and Bitcoin being worth 1/10`000th of a pizza, but we are now playing in the grown-up
league and as such we need grown-up code. It is certainly not acceptable to proceed as proposed,
from a "this is what the codebase can do, we will pretend to limit usage of Bitcoin to that"
perspective, as is contemplated here. The only acceptable and the only correct approach is,
"this is how Bitcoin can be used, therefore this is how Bitcoin should be used, therefore this
is what our code must accomodate, let's get to work on it."

The fact that a number of people - such as Luke-jr, Gmaxwell, Mike Hearn etc - feel inclined to
compensate for their modest technical ability with a disproportionate and unwarranted political
preocupation is of course to be expected : the marginal and the stupid have tried to propel
themselves in the position of populist "leaders" for as long as humanity existed. This will not
work in Bitcoin, because that is not how Bitcoin works. It is specifically designed to foil the
very common alliance between the stupid but lazy and the ambitious but inept that regularly
wrecks fiat ventures of all sorts, from small business to entire countries. It will work as
intended for that purpose.

Please you idiots, fix the codebase. If you can't do that, go away.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
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=THL3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

http://mpex.co/ uh is down..

Fix it, idiots. It's down for what 2-3 days now, that's probably an achievement for an "exchange".

LOL!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:36:31 AM

Fix it, idiots. It's down for what 2-3 days now, that's probably an achievement for an "exchange".

LOL!

See here. Maybe pinpoint where it says "DNS and TCP/IP should be changed because waahhhh".

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
vampire

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:44:53 AM

LOL!

See here. Maybe pinpoint where it says "DNS and TCP/IP should be changed because waahhhh".

Are you saying that your servers were attacking by TCP/IP traffic? Wow..

Because you know there are protocols like UDP or layers like ICMP.

Your exchange went down, completely. Yesterday for a good chunk of the day they were ZERO transactions.

Before you call someone an idiot, make sure that you aren't the one.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:52:47 AM

Are you saying that your servers were attacking by TCP/IP traffic? Wow.. Because you know there are protocols like UDP or layers like ICMP.

Way to miss the point, seriously now. No I'm not saying that our servers were attacking anything. Re-read.

Your exchange went down, completely. Yesterday for a good chunk of the day they were ZERO transactions.

Heh.

Before you call someone an idiot, make sure that you aren't the one.

Good plan. Let's stick to it.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
vampire

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:01:40 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 03:23:46 AM by vampire

Calling bitcoin developers idiots, while you can't even get your website online = priceless.

mpex.co = dead
mpex.coinbr.com = dead
mpex.host56.com = dead
mpex.5gbfree.com = dead
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:08:39 PM

Calling bitcoin developers idiots, while you can't even get your website online = priceless.

mpex.co = dead
mpex.coinbr.com = dead
mpex.host56.com = dead
mpex.5gbfree.com = dead

So you nuked a bunch of websites. Whoopdedoo.

MPEx is, and has been trading all through. In fact > 30k BTC worth of trades have been processed since the 5th (when the attacks first started).

vampire

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:33:33 PM

mpex.co = dead
mpex.coinbr.com = dead
mpex.host56.com = dead
mpex.5gbfree.com = dead

So you nuked a bunch of websites. Whoopdedoo.

MPEx is, and has been trading all through. In fact > 30k BTC worth of trades have been processed since the 5th (when the attacks first started).

O'RLY How many transactions went through in the last hour? Oh wait ZERO.

Probably 30K worth of dumps because your exchange cant stay up.

Oh and thanks for the recognition, but I have something better to do than "nuking". I'll let some script kiddies to play with you.

velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:31:11 PM

The exchange is still up and operating. Taking down the webpage of the NYSE does not kill the exchange....
except in this case, the exchange did go down, and no one could make transactions or see the market for some time.

vampire

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:32:52 PM

The exchange is still up and operating. Taking down the webpage of the NYSE does not kill the exchange....

The exchange was down. Proxies are going up and down.

I can set up few proxies for MPEX, I have plenty of different VPS servers around.
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 03:01:27 PM

I can set up few proxies for MPEX, I have plenty of different VPS servers around.
Come to #bitcoin-assets and make an inquiry to mircea_popescu then. But beware, running mpex.coinbr.com caused whole bitvps DC to be inaccessible and me being unceremoniously kicked out of bitvps as a result. So now I only maintain mpex access for paying coinbr.com customers.

And aye, I too came  to devs with questions about illogical transaction fees policy or unspent txouts selection. Instead about being pointed to some documented explanation and statistics (to be able to reason that current code is optimal), was considered a troll. Perhaps the drama must be protected at all costs, lol.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:28:51 PM

30btc makes sense when it was $5

MPEx has stated on several occasions that the entry price is only going to go up. It already went from 20 btc to 30 btc. How much does it cost to get a seat on the NYSE?

how many times NYSE was DDoS or deface ?
How many times were the trading floor DDoS'd?

poly | My Tip Jar
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 11:05:41 PM

O'RLY How many transactions went through in the last hour? Oh wait ZERO.

Probably 30K worth of dumps because your exchange cant stay up.

Oh and thanks for the recognition, but I have something better to do than "nuking". I'll let some script kiddies to play with you.

I'm sorry that we don't spam the interwebs with 0.00005 BTC transactions enough. Kinda how it works out when you have an entrance fee. MPEx' average transaction has been something like 15-30 BTC ever since the start.

Listen, trade has been going on through irc bots without problems since yesterday. They're publicly available and there haven't been problems, you can test it for yourself.

The exchange was never down, but it was in fact closed for 12 hours yesterday. This was done intentionally, so as to avoid access disparities between users (as in, not split the userbase into the "haves" with private proxy access and the "have nots" without public proxy access).

velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:08:32 AM

Take this as a sort of security drill: MPEx is untouchable.
Roll Eyes

ldrgn

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:58:04 AM

b. that the client does
not correctly select the best possible combination of available inputs to feed a list of
arbitrary outputs.

Isn't this NP-complete?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 02:31:44 AM

Take this as a sort of security drill: MPEx is untouchable.

Poor impotent script kiddies!   Cheesy

How much would it cost to give each MPEx user their own unique/secret IP address and VPS proxy?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:22:43 AM

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:27:55 AM

Isn't this NP-complete?

Probably.

Poor impotent script kiddies!   Cheesy

How much would it cost to give each MPEx user their own unique/secret IP address and VPS proxy?

The cost would be more on helping them deal with it. Even with the entry barrier many people trading on MPEx don't actually have a full IT house at their disposal like IRL investment banks do.

vampire

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 12:28:29 PM

Listen, trade has been going on through irc bots without problems since yesterday. They're publicly available and there haven't been problems, you can test it for yourself.

The exchange was never down, but it was in fact closed for 12 hours yesterday. This was done intentionally, so as to avoid access disparities between users (as in, not split the userbase into the "haves" with private proxy access and the "have nots" without public proxy access).

It was never was down? And then you said that you brought it down for 12 hours? What an idiot.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:32:28 PM

It was never was down? And then you said that you brought it down for 12 hours? What an idiot.

Yeah, yeah. Let's get your terminology straight.

Idiot = you. Idiot != me.
Down = unintentionally unavailable. Down != intentionally unavailable. 
Closed = intentionally unavailable. Closed != unintentionally unavailable.
If an airplane is parked on the runway it's not "a downed airplane". If an airplane crashes on the runway it is not "a parked airplane".
Why is this so difficult for you?

thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:44:22 PM

Yeah, yeah. Let's get your terminology straight.

Idiot = you. Idiot != me.
Down = unintentionally unavailable. Down != intentionally unavailable. 
Closed = intentionally unavailable. Closed != unintentionally unavailable.
If an airplane is parked on the runway it's not "a downed airplane". If an airplane crashes on the runway it is not "a parked airplane".
Why is this so difficult for you?

At the risk of being railroaded for daring to criticise you have you never heard the phrase 'We took the service down for some hours'?  I guess you announced it appropriately to your IRC customers and followers and therefore fulfilled your obligation.  But I am subscribed to at least three SD threads here and heard nothing other than the fun and games that was had with re-routing the DDOS attack.  I am not saying you are obliged to share such information but knowing there are many SD investors through passthrus here that do not do the IRC thing and seeing as you were here appropriately correcting those erroneously thinking MPEx had been hacked - and whilst you were at it having a go at them and calling all and sundry idiots as is your wont; you could at least have mentioned the 12 hour deliberate outage thing before waiting until it was squeezed out of you.
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: