Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:31:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor question: Going very cold, would that be different than Ledger (USBs)?  (Read 665 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 08:23:34 PM

I read recently that USB storage drives (thumb drives), and apparently USB wallet-hardware (like Ledger's Nano) might have an issue re longer-term storage.  Namely that the device might "forget" everything on it after a long time (or perhaps after a long time of no use).

Trezor seems to operate differently, as it seems to have its own fairly active processor.

Would Trezor be vulnerable to lack of use over a long period?

For that matter, any comments on Ledger (and similar) usability over long periods of cold storage?

It could be that I am mis-informed re "USB-style" hardware wallets...  Many of us would like to know the truth.   Smiley

Thank you.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 08:39:05 PM

It depends alot on the form of non-volatile memory the Trezor is using to store the keys, likely some form of EEPROM or flash. And then again, it also depends on the error correction algorithm (if any) that the controller for the memory device uses. What I can tell you is that information that does not change and stays in the same memory cell (at least with flash, not sure about EEPROM) is actually pretty reliable; long term deterioration manifests as an inability to write to faulty mem cells, not an inability to read from them. So you could end up with a handful of failing memory cells after > 5 years, but it won't matter much as all controllers are designed to accommodate that kind of failure graciously (i.e. without data loss, just capacity loss)

Vires in numeris
Windpower

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 06:53:11 AM

Ledgers aren't USBs, nor do they utilize USB technology. They use bank grade security chips Roll Eyes
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 09:38:56 PM

Ledgers aren't USBs, nor do they utilize USB technology. They use bank grade security chips Roll Eyes

This seems to be confusing some things. USB is a bus; flash memory is a technology. The cryptoprocessor choice isn't strongly related to the type of nonvolatile storage used.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 10:07:46 PM

Surely you do not expect a Trezor to last indefinitely. That is why you guard your 24 word seed in case you lose your Trezor or it breaks. You can then quickly restore to a new Trezor. I had a three month old Trezor go bad, it happens. Keep a spare handy!

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 11:56:44 AM

If you do not even use Trezor for some time, let say one year or two years - what can happen then ? For example, if you do not use your laptop for one year - everything is fine.  Wink
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 02:26:03 PM

If you do not even use Trezor for some time, let say one year or two years - what can happen then ? For example, if you do not use your laptop for one year - everything is fine.  Wink

Magnetic media experiences bit-rot as well. Copious use of error-correcting codes is often implemented to prevent it, but anecdotally I can speak to bit rot causing data corruption over time (mainly in large files whose data/program reading them are sensitive to even single-bit errors.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: