Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:14:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Matthew Failed in His bet  (Read 2998 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:28:33 PM

I wasn't refering to you smoothie...it was a generalization of what I saw...that's all.

/Backpedal

Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:29:04 PM

Right, cause Matthew totally would have paid if only everyone hadn't been so mean, right?
We will never know....but at least everyone can rest easy now, that they were right this entire time about him being a scammer  Roll Eyes

Sadly enough...yes.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
556j

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:31:11 PM

Actually it took about 3 days before anyone said anything about Matthew's bet. Even then it was met with overwhelming support on Matthew's side saying he would pay. Not until he kept raising the limit did more and more people start to consider that he might not pay out. His reason to pay regardless of what "trolls" said would to make us look stupid and keep his job(s). Instead he just made a fool of himself and has made sure any bitcoin business he associates himself with will fail. He really fucked over Vladimir and friends. He fucked over Pirate bond holders. And the people he thinks he's "teaching a lesson" never bet with him to begin with. We are trolling harder than ever with yet another "told ya so"
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:33:17 PM

Actually it took about 3 days before anyone said anything about Matthew's bet. Even then it was met with overwhelming support on Matthew's side saying he would pay. Not until he kept raising the limit did more and more people start to consider that he might not pay out. His reason to pay regardless of what "trolls" said would to make us look stupid and keep his job(s). Instead he just made a fool of himself and has made sure any bitcoin business he associates himself with will fail. He really fucked over Vladimir and friends. He fucked over Pirate bond holders. And the people he thinks he's "teaching a lesson" never bet with him to begin with. We are trolling harder than ever with yet another "told ya so"

The whole stunt was to give him a slim chance to line his pockets and also because he needed ATTENTION given PIRATEAT40 was getting it all.

Talk about jealousy huh. lol Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:36:09 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 09:13:14 PM by AbelsFire

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?
In the original bet thread Matthew offered up his own reputation as collateral.

Anyone (including myself) who renigs on their bets will be labeled a scammer on the forums. Theymos will retain the IP addresses of everyone who has committed here and as you are marked a scammer for not paying, you will also be reported to the bitcoin police and tracked. For this reason, it is important that you do not bet more than you can afford to lose. Considering the high probability of fraud from newbie sockpuppets, only established 250+ post users will be allowed to participate, unless they participate through an escrow who will hold their coins. This is up to them to find the escrow although many posters in this thread have agreed to act as such.

His reputation is his own to enhance or squander, so if he decides to cheapen it I'm going to honor his choice.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:44:06 PM

I think he succeeded at achieving his aims...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1173889#msg1173889

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:49:32 PM

If his aim was to let everyone know he can't be trusted, then yes he succeeded.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
chyort

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:57:39 PM

As I said in another thread....

You guys are taking this way too far.

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

Shall we make our way to the Lending and Securities Forums and start getting those scammer tags applied to the people that actually TOOK REAL MONEY from people and not simply made a bet where NO MONEY CHANGED HANDS and cost the participants exactly ZERO... ?

He set the rules.
He broke the rules.
He got hit with a punishment of his own making.

This isn't like people are setting out to lynch an innocent man.
If he had won, some people would have paid him, and some wouldn't have. The ones that didn't pay him would have received the scammer tag, exactly like his original post stated, just like he eventually received when he failed to honor his word.

Would you be arguing so much if he had won the bet and people who didn't pay him were receiving the scammer tag?
Tyrion

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:34:07 AM

Well, I'm pretty new around here, but I've been reading up and it seems to me that Matthew said, in his very first post on the bet, that the purpose was to teach you guys a lesson. And so you took the bet and now he's taught you a lesson that you shouldn't be so quick to call everyone a scammer because sometimes if you do that you'll just make the guy mad and he'll wind up scamming you because you ticked him off. So maybe everyone here should just consider this a lesson learned and the next time you think someone might be a scammer you should just keep your mouth shut.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:36:09 AM

Well, I'm pretty new around here, but I've been reading up and it seems to me that Matthew said, in his very first post on the bet, that the purpose was to teach you guys a lesson. And so you took the bet and now he's taught you a lesson that you shouldn't be so quick to call everyone a scammer because sometimes if you do that you'll just make the guy mad and he'll wind up scamming you because you ticked him off. So maybe everyone here should just consider this a lesson learned and the next time you think someone might be a scammer you should just keep your mouth shut.

SO he loses the bet, tries to "repay" all betters with a stupid technicality that allows him to pay himself and we are the ones that needed to learn a lesson?

What lesson is that? That Matthew is full of fully potent, grade-A, gorilla crap?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:03:05 AM

I feel sorry that Vladimir got screwed over by Matthew. That is all.

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:06:59 AM

I feel sorry that Vladimir got screwed over by Matthew. That is all.

This right here.... 

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:12:17 AM

Wrong.
 Its never an excuse to steal peoples money because "they made you angry". Its never an excuse to rape a woman because "she asked for it". Its never an excuse to beat your wife "because she nagged you".

Scammers should be called out always and you dont shoot the messenger.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:50:23 AM

As I said in another thread....

You guys are taking this way too far.

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

Shall we make our way to the Lending and Securities Forums and start getting those scammer tags applied to the people that actually TOOK REAL MONEY from people and not simply made a bet where NO MONEY CHANGED HANDS and cost the participants exactly ZERO... ?

Why are you pretending like he did nothing wrong? The man let his ego run fucking wild and he now gets to deal with the consequences. Let him take what is coming.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:52:39 AM

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point.

The reason he welched on the bet isn't the same reason he started the bet. What point was he trying to prove?

This is what the purpose of the bet is, to allow them the right to make blanket accusations. If they're right, they win big. If they're wrong, they'll make less blanket accusations in the future cause I got their rent moneyz herp derp

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
TheBible

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:17:05 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 02:33:18 AM by TheBible

Right, cause Matthew totally would have paid if only everyone hadn't been so mean, right?
We will never know....but at least everyone can rest easy now, that they were right this entire time about him being a scammer  Roll Eyes

So this is bitcoin.

"You hurt my feelings so I no longer have to hold up my end of the deal".

Sounds great, where do I sign up?

Here's a hint.  His incentive was to fulfill the promise he made.  In business, this is actually a valuable thing.  He made a promise, and should be expected to follow through.  That people didn't believe him is not a good reason to break that promise. 

Or hey, what about reputation?  Isn't that a good incentive not to welch on a bet?  Isn't reputation supposed to be massively important in your fantasy society?  Had he kept his end of the bargain (even ignoring the post, he did obligate himself verbally in that interview of his), his reputation would have been considerably improved.  He just ruined it now.

No wonder this board is so jam-packed with scammers and deadbeats; people like bitlane defend them to the bitter end.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: