Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:13:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Don't believe it? Chose your gender.
Male - 124 (88.6%)
Female - 16 (11.4%)
Total Voters: 139

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is men's toy  (Read 8394 times)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 12:43:08 AM

Seems like some people think if we create a high heels and astrology store, it will be an instant chick magnet. I suggest only selling heels that are slightly shorter than typical, so we won't get too many short/underage girls. Actually no... that would scare away the Asians.

Stuff White People Like:

Bitcoins

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Principal

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:05:12 AM

Chicks don't need bitcoin because they don't need to buy the sandwhiches, they can make them there selves.
happyland

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:19:37 AM

Chicks don't need bitcoin because they don't need to buy the sandwhiches, they can make them there selves.
+1  Cheesy
lizthegrey

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 12:56:59 PM

The casual sexist jokes aren't exactly going to help the problem.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:21:49 PM

No, but laughter is good for your health .. it'll reduce your taxes if you live in country with national medical insurance scheme and other people laugh (whatever the joke).

Females will catch on to bitcoin after it becomes a reliable measure of male desirability .... in an average female population sense that is ... generally they follow the crowd, not lead and seek comfort and security in peer re-enforcement of their choices

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 03:29:04 PM

Bitcoin is men's toy

well yes - that's true at the moment.

so what?

anyone who finds that to be undesirable can certainly change it.

i would suggest organizing a donation sponsorship to NOW - paid only in Bitcoin.  get them - or any number of other organizations (and by default, the individuals who make up those organizations) - to start conducting business in Bitcoin.

it's just not that tough.
Lynzoi

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 03:41:11 PM

No, but laughter is good for your health .. it'll reduce your taxes if you live in country with national medical insurance scheme and other people laugh (whatever the joke).

Females will catch on to bitcoin after it becomes a reliable measure of male desirability .... in an average female population sense that is ... generally they follow the crowd, not lead and seek comfort and security in peer re-enforcement of their choices
I don't care about the sandwich jokes, but this kind of stuff you're saying isn't a joke. It seems more likely to me that females will catch on to Bitcoin when they realize it can be used to buy things they want, using is as a measure of male desirability doesn't even make sense. I really hope you are not in this game to increase your desirability among females, if you are you, have a few things to learn.

1HX4zSn3yQpVH3v9Sv5TNwMqbfXoBbMuNf
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 04:52:54 PM

When the first shoe store starts accepting bitcoins more women will take notice.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:30:33 PM

minute_of angle said:

I don't care about the sandwich jokes, but this kind of stuff you're saying isn't a joke. It seems more likely to me that females will catch on to Bitcoin when they realize it can be used to buy things they want, using is as a measure of male desirability doesn't even make sense. I really hope you are not in this game to increase your desirability among females, if you are you, have a few things to learn.

If you don't see this, RobertFawcett, I'm afraid it's you who has few things to learn. You may be different, and it was not an attack - just a mere observation
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:38:34 PM

minute_of angle said:

If you don't see this, RobertFawcett, I'm afraid it's you who has few things to learn. You may be different, and it was not an attack - just a mere observation
I think your "mere observation" would be my "sweeping generalisation".

We have a golden opportunity here to learn and understand from someone who represents 50% of the population. We can choose to do that, or we can choose to stick to our prejudices and call them "observations". Personally, I'd like to see bitcoin grow and I don't believe that the way to do that is to alienate women. There are plenty of places online where we can maintain our prejudices without having to worry about the negative impact it may have on something we're trying to promote - I'd suggest we use those outlets for "humour" and save this one for mature discussion.

This space intentionally left blank.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:46:31 PM

It's not prejudice - it's experience  Grin
Lynzoi

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:56:54 PM

If I don't see what, exactly? Do you honestly think women will be more interested in using Bitcoin to judge male social status, than they will be interested in, say... buying and selling stuff?

I'm not denying that women do not like to take risks, women are less likely to invest in anything, and women are a lot less likely to adopt new technology. That's not what my gripe is, my gripe is with the stupid reasoning people come up with to explain why there aren't a lot of women using Bitcoins yet.

If this was a mere observation, you would have something other than lame stereotypes to back it up. Statistics or something.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:01:33 PM

Do centuries of certain behavior count?
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:02:42 PM

You imply there is a problem. Why? Men have a tendency to hype new things early, this has happened thousands of times already. And guess what, it usually was not a problem.

Look an the different smartphones, they all got hyped by men first, but it's balancing out now. Same with practically any tech/computer/geek thing. Nothing special at all. If Bitcoin reaches critical mass, the situation will change quickly.
Lynzoi

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:03:10 PM

Do centuries of certain behavior count?
No, not really. Modern behavior is much different than behavior 100 years ago. It's different even than it was 50 years ago. You also can't ignore the fact that for many centuries, female behavior was controlled by men.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:06:30 PM

I'm afraid, I'll have to give up at this point
cloud9

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:09:25 PM

I think bitcoin will end up as men's currency, no offence.

Right now it is, but why end up? 

Gender distribution is equal on Paypal:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/paypal.com

I doubt that bitcoin can go that far.

In nine months - with no relation to any of the genders - Bitcoin will catch up with Paypal at current growth trends on Alexa.com

See http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10392.msg149970#msg149970

Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:29:22 PM

I think bitcoin will end up as men's currency, no offence.

Right now it is, but why end up? 

Gender distribution is equal on Paypal:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/paypal.com

I doubt that bitcoin can go that far.

In nine months - with no relation to any of the genders - Bitcoin will catch up with Paypal at current growth trends on Alexa.com

See http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10392.msg149970#msg149970

Paypal is inherently sexist. I have never heard a woman call another woman a "pal."

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:33:57 PM

Paypal is inherently sexist. I have never heard a woman call another woman a "pal."

I think more laws would help. We need one, so gay people feel accepted, black people can feel "colored" and women can feel like men. Oh, the beauty of legislation and political correctness  Grin
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:42:22 PM

I think more laws would help. We need one, so gay people feel accepted, black people can feel "colored" and women can feel like men. Oh, the beauty of legislation and political correctness  Grin
Legislation and political correctness have nothing to do with it.

We're effectively ambassadors for a product - bitcoin. It's decentralised, and has no corporation behind it - no marketing department, no public relations team - just us. It falls to us to promote the product, and we can do it by either taking into consideration the need to appeal to and not alienate 50% of the population, or we can do it by ignoring women altogether and hoping that smarter, more mature individuals take up the reins before the supply of male adopters runs out.

There aren't going to be any laws to force us not to be chauvinist. There aren't going to be any regulations requiring us to be "politically correct". We need to take responsibility for promoting bitcoin, and we need to do it by taking responsibility for what we say and how we act.

This space intentionally left blank.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: