Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:51:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama or Romney ?  (Read 21118 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 04:01:23 PM

For most, to be intelligent and uneducated is to not realize your maximum potential.

To be unintelligent and highly educated is a waste. There is a lot of that going around, and at HIGHLY inflated prices.

Education is an investment - not all investments are good or pay as well as we would like.  Everyone, colleges included, is selling something (just like the bitcoin world).

I know this forum is full of intelligent people of varying degrees (no pun intended) of education.  No matter how intelligent you are, many career opportunities and advancement levels will be closed to you without a given level of education.  Everyone is free to go their own way and make their own life, but statistically, your peers with college degrees will do better.

Once again, you're confusing education with schooling. I could learn everything I need to know about how to perform heart surgery from the library. That still wouldn't get me a medical degree.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 2100

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:01:46 PM

Education is an investment - not all investments are good or pay as well as we would like.  Everyone, colleges included, is selling something (just like the bitcoin world).

I know this forum is full of intelligent people of varying degrees (no pun intended) of education.  No matter how intelligent you are, many career opportunities and advancement levels will be closed to you without a given level of education.  Everyone is free to go their own way and make their own life, but statistically, your peers with college degrees will do better.

However, education is in a bubble right now. The investment capital is becoming not worth the return for many. Not only are you having to pay large sums of money and waste several years worth of earning and on-the-job learning potential but at the end of it all, you have to compete with many others who have the same level of education.

One should think seriously about the direction of one's career before jumping into "I gots ta get me an education"

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:15:18 PM

One should think seriously about the direction of one's career before jumping into "I gots ta get me an education"

You are corect and this is always been the case.  An art or history degree is not going to do much for you unless you pursue it to the Ph.D level and teach it.
A medical/science/engineering degree is not going to leave you without a job.

I can't find experienced mechanical and electrical engineers right now without paying top dollar (market forces at work).

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:00:36 PM

...statistically, your peers with college degrees will do better...

Recently went to a college reunion of sorts... Out of 25 or so friends, I was the only one still in the field of my education... and I consider 95% of the college education I got "in my field", to be worthless. This is after less than 10 years.

People with a desire to be knowledgeable will do better than those that don't. Those with a desire to be skilled will do better than those that don't. It has nothing to do with a formal education.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:04:17 PM

Recently went to a college reunion of sorts... Out of 25 or so friends, I was the only one still in the field of my education... and I consider 95% of the college education I got "in my field", to be worthless. This is after less than 10 years.

People with a desire to be knowledgeable will do better than those that don't. Those with a desire to be skilled will do better than those that don't. It has nothing to do with a formal education.
Many jobs require a degree, even if it is not a degree in the same field of work.  For example, all management positions at my local university require at least a 4-year degree.  It could be a degree in underwater basketweaving though.  Ultimately, the best person for the job will be hired, and it may come down to who has the better or more relevant degree, but my point is, having a degree absolutely does matter in today's job market.

All of that said, I do agree that the education itself is largely useless - I think we would be much better served doing apprentice-style schooling.  Work on real-world problems instead of stuff out of textbooks, etc.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:21:48 PM

Many jobs require a degree, even if it is not a degree in the same field of work.  For example, all management positions at my local university require at least a 4-year degree.  It could be a degree in underwater basketweaving though.  Ultimately, the best person for the job will be hired, and it may come down to who has the better or more relevant degree, but my point is, having a degree absolutely does matter in today's job market.

All of that said, I do agree that the education itself is largely useless - I think we would be much better served doing apprentice-style schooling.  Work on real-world problems instead of stuff out of textbooks, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkHM4DUDKM

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
C10H15N

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:44:29 PM

In an attempt to put this derailed thread back on track, you realize both Obama and Romney have degrees from Harvard.

As did/do:

John Adams
John Quincy Adams
Rutherford B. Hayes
Theodore Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
John F. Kennedy
George W. Bush

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:53:24 PM

In an attempt to put this derailed thread back on track, you realize both Obama and Romney have degrees from Harvard.

As did/do:

John Adams
John Quincy Adams
Rutherford B. Hayes
Theodore Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
John F. Kennedy
George W. Bush

So, if you want to be president, your best bet is to go to Harvard?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 05:58:31 PM

So, if you want to be president, your best bet is to go to Harvard?

Actually, by raw numbers, you're better off with no college, than any specific one:

George Washington (The death of his father ended Washington's formal schooling; however, he believed strongly in formal education. In his will, he left money and/or stocks to support three educational institutions.)
    Andrew Jackson
    Martin Van Buren
    William Henry Harrison (attended college but never received a degree)
    Zachary Taylor
    Millard Fillmore
    Abraham Lincoln (had only about a year of formal schooling of any kind)
    Andrew Johnson
    Grover Cleveland
    Harry S. Truman (went to business college and law school but did not receive a degree)

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
C10H15N

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:06:43 PM

...but Truman was also the last president without a degree.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
  United States Military Academy

John F. Kennedy
 London School of Economics (General Course Program)
 Princeton University (transferred to Harvard University)
 Harvard University
 University of Michigan (visitor)

Lyndon B. Johnson
 Texas State University-San Marcos
 Georgetown University Law Center (withdrew)

Richard Nixon
 Whittier College
 Duke University School of Law

Gerald Ford
 University of Michigan
 Yale Law School

Jimmy Carter
 Georgia Southwestern College (transferred to the Georgia Institute of Technology)
 Georgia Institute of Technology (transferred to the United States Naval Academy)
 United States Naval Academy

Ronald Reagan
 Eureka College

George H. W. Bush
 Yale University

Bill Clinton
 Georgetown University
 University of Oxford (Rhodes Scholar)
 Yale Law School

George W. Bush
 Yale University
 Harvard Business School

Barack Obama
 Occidental College (transferred to Columbia University)
 Columbia University
 Harvard Law School

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:09:41 PM

Which indicates that a job which was originally "of the people, for the people" is getting rather elitist, isn't it?

C10H15N

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:13:41 PM

Which indicates that a job which was originally "of the people, for the people" is getting rather elitist, isn't it?

It was even then.  Truman, the only President ever to order the use of a nuclear weapon, was considered by many to be an ignorant haberdasher.   Grin

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:44:07 PM

Seems to me we should avoid electing someone from either Yale or Harvard...

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  

Jump to: