Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:16:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Nano - Stick Mining Fun!  (Read 20690 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:07:09 PM

For my combined birthday and Father's Day gift my son gave me an Avalon Nano (I've got a great son).  The software installation and configuration was, er, not trivial but I got it going http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1NFpUu9D76jRL9m2TAdcKjgwr8axLg4YqN (give it time).  One thing I've notice; a couple of times now it got "stuck" in sleep mode.  It wasn't too tough to get it going again but it requires attention; I want it to run unattended.  Anyone else seen this behavior?

Do you have a fan pushing air on it?  The nano can get pretty hot and it  would effect it's preformance.

And yea there are actually 2 gui's.  One is in English and easier to use for my language.  The second looks nicer but was in Chinese (they could have added English I have not looked recently)

If a fan does not work you can try to run cgminer without the gui.  The commands are in the thread to do that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 03:58:35 AM

Do you have a fan pushing air on it?  The nano can get pretty hot and it  would effect it's preformance.

And yea there are actually 2 gui's.  One is in English and easier to use for my language.  The second looks nicer but was in Chinese (they could have added English I have not looked recently)

If a fan does not work you can try to run cgminer without the gui.  The commands are in the thread to do that.
No fan; I was thinking it would cool enough without one to get going by itself without having to be prodded along so often.  Perhaps I will try writing a script to get it going automatically.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 04:24:44 AM

No fan; I was thinking it would cool enough without one to get going by itself without having to be prodded along so often.  Perhaps I will try writing a script to get it going automatically.

Chances are you are going to need a fan it runs pretty hot (at least mine did when I ran it).  When it get's hot it slows down.  So no fan.... good chance problem is there.

And it is very easy you can make a batch file for cgminer if you don't want to use gui.  Takes a few minutes at most.
David Rabahy

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 02:29:36 PM

toggle = 0
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2
z::              ;hit z to toggle script on and off.
    Toggle := !Toggle
     While Toggle{
   Click
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {space}
   Send, {backspace}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {enter}
   Sleep, 240000
    }
return

esc::exitapp ;Kills script
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 05:17:02 PM

toggle = 0
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2
z::              ;hit z to toggle script on and off.
    Toggle := !Toggle
     While Toggle{
   Click
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {space}
   Send, {backspace}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {tab}
   Send, {enter}
   Sleep, 240000
    }
return

esc::exitapp ;Kills script

I could be having a moment of not remembering something.  But what language did your write the script in?
David Rabahy

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:08:00 PM

I could be having a moment of not remembering something.  But what language did your write the script in?
AutoHotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/
David Rabahy

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:09:16 PM

My script could use improvement; as is, it requires the GUI remain the window with focus which is inconvenient.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:36:15 AM

AutoHotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/

Thanks for adding another method to make it run.

I suggest going for batch file for most.  With it you dont need any other software on windows and can change arguments with CGMiner.

But definitely thanks for addition!
nby

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:49:53 PM

I received one of these at the beginning of this week, I put it at work and this is what it's giving me atm:

cgminer version 4.9.2 - Started: [2015-07-22 19:47:54.802]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(5s):5.029G (1m):4.865G (5m):4.818G (15m):4.811G (avg):4.800Gh/s
 A:9624  R:0  HW:663  WU:52.0/m

I had a spare cpu cooling fan, I decided to give it a try putting it above the stick heatsink. Without the fan the stick was mining at an average of 3.7Gh/s, with a WU of about 23.0/m - it really gets hot Smiley

Just to share it, I'm having fun with it - it's my first miner after all  Cheesy
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:44:44 AM

I received one of these at the beginning of this week, I put it at work and this is what it's giving me atm:

cgminer version 4.9.2 - Started: [2015-07-22 19:47:54.802]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(5s):5.029G (1m):4.865G (5m):4.818G (15m):4.811G (avg):4.800Gh/s
 A:9624  R:0  HW:663  WU:52.0/m

I had a spare cpu cooling fan, I decided to give it a try putting it above the stick heatsink. Without the fan the stick was mining at an average of 3.7Gh/s, with a WU of about 23.0/m - it really gets hot Smiley

Just to share it, I'm having fun with it - it's my first miner after all  Cheesy

Glad to hear we have a new miner!  Welcome to the club.

And I do highly suggest a fan or something to keep heat down.  Without a fan it just gets to hot and slows down.   It does not have the biggest heat sink on it so the active cooling really helps.
jmashore

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 05:51:31 PM

Hello, I'm new to the whole bitcoin process. However, to hopeful get a grasp of things I purchased an Avalon Nano. I am running a full node on my machine, and have installed the avalon nano driver and associated cgminer software as per the directions at the beginning of this thread.

I'm able to bring up the Avalon miner software without issue. My system recognizes the USB device on com3. The light on the USB device is green. I have a avalon.ini sitting in the same folder as my avalon software, and the cgminer software is a subfolder of that.

My .ini has a config line :
[PoolInfo_1]
PoolURL=stratum+tcp://us-east.stratum.bitcoin.cz
PoolPort=3333
WorkerName=my_login.worker1
WorkerPassword=1234

[PoolInfo_2]
PoolURL=/
PoolPort=80
WorkerName=/
WorkerPassword=/

[PoolInfo_3]
PoolURL=/
PoolPort=80
WorkerName=/
WorkerPassword=/
[Avalon]
Log=avalon.log
Parameters=-T, -S, ICA:\\\\.\\COM3, --set-device, "ICA:baud=115200", --set-device, "ICA:reopen=timeout", --set-device, "ICA:work_division=1", --set-device, "ICA:fpga_count=1", --set-device, "ICA:probe_timeout=100", --set-device, "ICA:timing=0.22", --api-listen

I've also create a mining account at bitcoin.cz.

When i bring up the Avalon miner application and click "start mining", it shows a completely different configuration.

I've looked in the Avalon log file and it has this :
[2015-12-08 11:31:21] Started bfgminer 4.0.0
 [2015-12-08 11:31:21] Failed to open Device Parameters registry key in lowl-vcom.c _vcom_devinfo_scan_windows__hubport():440: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I'm just starting out, so all of this is a bit overwhelming to take in.

Thanks !
J.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 06:02:43 PM

So are you trying to use the GUI or are you using a cgminer you mention in folder?   If using the GUI which one is it the one on first page? There are 2 that I know of of top of head they had at one time for it.

On "my_login.worker1" you dont have a"_" and a "." in your login do you?  i'm guessing not but wanted to make sure.
jmashore

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:11:30 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2015, 02:58:06 AM by jmashore

No, there are no special characters in the real login.
And yes, the second screen with the Tabs is the one that shows at the beginning of this thread.

Well, the whole thing is very confusing to me.
When I plug the miner into the USB Port the first thing that Pops up is a screen written in Chinese listing what I think is a list of connections.
Then a pretty big ICON shows up on my desktop looking somewhat like a key with a USB symbol the number 1 and then some chinese and the number 0.

Then when I click on the actual Avalon Miner shortcut : "E:\Bitcoin\bootstrap\nano\Avalon nano QuickStart\AvalonMiner.Qt4MSVC\AvalonMiner.Qt4MSVC\AvalonMiner.exe"

Up comes another box labeled as Avalon Miner with two tabs. One for Settins and one for Status. My pool connection shows up in the Settings Tab. But when I click on "Start Mining" the Title bar switches to green and says it's "Mining" but a look at the Avalon Log file shows this :

[2015-12-09 19:53:04] Failed to open Device Parameters registry key in lowl-vcom.c _vcom_devinfo_scan_windows__hubport():440: The system cannot find the file specified.
 [2015-12-09 19:53:04] Do not have user privileges required to open \\.\COM3

I'm pretty much totally lost at this point.

REVISED : Problem was POWER
I had plugged the Stick into a USB Port that was underpowered. I moved the stick to plug directly into my powered hub and everything fired up as expected.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 03:46:11 AM

No, there are no special characters in the real login.
And yes, the second screen with the Tabs is the one that shows at the beginning of this thread.

Well, the whole thing is very confusing to me.
When I plug the miner into the USB Port the first thing that Pops up is a screen written in Chinese listing what I think is a list of connections.
Then a pretty big ICON shows up on my desktop looking somewhat like a key with a USB symbol the number 1 and then some chinese and the number 0.

Then when I click on the actual Avalon Miner shortcut : "E:\Bitcoin\bootstrap\nano\Avalon nano QuickStart\AvalonMiner.Qt4MSVC\AvalonMiner.Qt4MSVC\AvalonMiner.exe"

Up comes another box labeled as Avalon Miner with two tabs. One for Settins and one for Status. My pool connection shows up in the Settings Tab. But when I click on "Start Mining" the Title bar switches to green and says it's "Mining" but a look at the Avalon Log file shows this :

[2015-12-09 19:53:04] Failed to open Device Parameters registry key in lowl-vcom.c _vcom_devinfo_scan_windows__hubport():440: The system cannot find the file specified.
 [2015-12-09 19:53:04] Do not have user privileges required to open \\.\COM3

I'm pretty much totally lost at this point.

REVISED : Problem was POWER
I had plugged the Stick into a USB Port that was underpowered. I moved the stick to plug directly into my powered hub and everything fired up as expected.

Thanks for update glad to hear you got it working.    Best of luck to you with your mining on it!
jmashore

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:40:01 PM

Just wanted to give a little update for those that are just starting out and "playing" with stick miners. With a small fan blowing on the heatsink it appears to run between 4.75 and 3.75Ghz. I stuck it on bitcoincz to mine for 24 hours..and managed to gather up 0.00000229 BTC. That's a pretty small number, but it was gratifying to just learn how things work and interact with eachother.

Many thanks to this forum as it was an invaluable guide to getting "online"...
baazju

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 02:57:59 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2016, 06:30:10 PM by baazju

Link dead :/

Beware of scammers.
jphelps

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 05:31:44 PM

Ok so i just got mine to work  Grin Grin Grin it says its mining at .001 Gh/s while its a 3.6 gh/s chip, the light is still green on it too, shouldnt it change if its mining, im also using slush's pool and the avalon gui
baazju

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 06:29:57 PM

Ok so i just got mine to work  Grin Grin Grin it says its mining at .001 Gh/s while its a 3.6 gh/s chip, the light is still green on it too, shouldnt it change if its mining, im also using slush's pool and the avalon gui

My website is down unfortunately, so the guide isn't working. But you should definitely be getting more than .001Gh/s. Where are you getting that number from? If it is from Slush it may not be accurate.

Beware of scammers.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 10:20:28 PM

My website is down unfortunately, so the guide isn't working. But you should definitely be getting more than .001Gh/s. Where are you getting that number from? If it is from Slush it may not be accurate.

I wonder the same thing.  Ehash has some drivers and GUI on their site.  It should work/detect and get the 3.6ish.

I would check Ehash out on downloads if your are not familiar with command line with mining.
jphelps

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:08:08 PM

I wonder the same thing.  Ehash has some drivers and GUI on their site.  It should work/detect and get the 3.6ish.

I would check Ehash out on downloads if your are not familiar with command line with mining.
im getting the number from the gui that was in this thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: