Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:47:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A strong caution to anyone considering buying Pirate obligations  (Read 2960 times)
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:52:14 PM

There's no difference in any of the cases. From the beginning, pirate was a rational actor peddling a 7%/wk generating "asset" that he knew was worthless. All the GLBSE bonds are created for free by the sellers. etc etc
I disagree. The possibility that Pirate might be *selling* Pirate obligations is very, very different from every other case. Only Pirate (or someone conspiring with him) could sell an obligation that he acquired at zero cost and knew for sure was worthless.

Its hard to see a distinction. Whether its pirate selling pirate obligations, goat selling goat obligations, or MNW selling anti-pirate obligations, only the obligor knows the true value of his obligation.

Why not buy someones debt, then bet the same amount you paid against Matthew? Worst case, you get your money back. Best case, Pirate pays. Can't lose.

And you can't win either, because if the hedges are equal then you're neutral. so why bother.
You can if you can pay less than 50% for Pirate debt. Say you buy 100 BTC of pirate debt for 40 BTC. You place a 40 BTC with Matthew:

1) Pirate defaults. Matthew pays you 40 BTC. You paid 40 BTC for the debt. You break even.

2) Pirate pays you 100 BTC. You pay Matthew 40 BTC. You paid 40 BTC for the debt. You made 20 BTC.

Apparently, some Pirate debt is going for less than 50% of face. So either nobody's doing this or the difference between 50% and the going rate is the chance Matthew will default.

The possibility that MNW might default is one reason for a rational actor to sell pirate debt at less than 50%. If MNW supply is limited (it is), then for someone that knows *for sure* that pirate debt is worthless, it is rational to sell it at less than 50%. So the difference between 50% and the going rate is the chance that MNW defaults multiplied by excess pirate supply. If pirate debt is 0% of face, then either pirate supply is unlimited, or the market is certain that MNW and pirate will both default.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:56:13 PM

My offer is 100% serious, as I am 100% certain Matthew will pay out if required.

I'll take your offer. Anyone 100% certain that MNW will pay if he has to can bet against me 99:1 (I'm 1% certain that he won't pay).

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Why not buy someones debt, then bet the same amount you paid against Matthew? Worst case, you get your money back. Best case, Pirate pays. Can't lose.

And you can't win either, because if the hedges are equal then you're neutral. so why bother.
You can if you can pay less than 50% for Pirate debt. Say you buy 100 BTC of pirate debt for 40 BTC. You place a 40 BTC with Matthew:

1) Pirate defaults. Matthew pays you 40 BTC. You paid 40 BTC for the debt. You break even.

2) Pirate pays you 100 BTC. You pay Matthew 40 BTC. You paid 40 BTC for the debt. You made 20 BTC.

Apparently, some Pirate debt is going for less than 50% of face. So either nobody's doing this or the difference between 50% and the going rate is the chance Matthew will default.

where is the hedge for "MNW will not pay if he has to pay"?

EDIT: or should I open a thread/bet for this? at the end someone has to pay the bill in every case!
Go for it - I'll bet that he pays if he has to pay!

was hypothetical and should show that at the end of the chain must be the fool.

EDIT: your offer was not serious? or was it? we should NOT invite credit default swaps into bitcoin world! this is what I'm trying to say.
My offer is 100% serious, as I am 100% certain Matthew will pay out if required.

guess you have information which i not have!

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:22:14 PM

I'll take your offer. Anyone 100% certain that MNW will pay if he has to can bet against me 99:1 (I'm 1% certain that he won't pay).
I will do a 1:1 bet, not interested in anything else.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 04:25:09 PM

Then you are not 100% certain.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:15:46 PM

Seems to me that if Pirate actually intended to pay back lenders that he would be buying up all of these below face value debts.

For example, lets say you have 10,000 BTC of pirate debt that you are willing sell for 6,000 BTC.  If I was pirate, I would buy that debt for 6,000 BTC and make a 4,000 BTC "profit" instantly since that is 4,000 BTC that I no longer have to pay back.

The fact that he isn't buying up all these below face value debts himself tells me that either he is not interested in making free money (unlikely) or he has no intention to pay back.
Fray

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:28:47 PM

Seems to me that if Pirate actually intended to pay back lenders that he would be buying up all of these below face value debts.

For example, lets say you have 10,000 BTC of pirate debt that you are willing sell for 6,000 BTC.  If I was pirate, I would buy that debt for 6,000 BTC and make a 4,000 BTC "profit" instantly since that is 4,000 BTC that I no longer have to pay back.

The fact that he isn't buying up all these below face value debts himself tells me that either he is not interested in making free money (unlikely) or he has no intention to pay back.
+1
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:30:40 PM

Not true.  Matthew imposed per-person limits and also conditions on the people involved.  Those can conspire to push the price below 50% because it's not a fully free market - people who cannot "hedge" with Matthew have to hit the bid if they want out.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:04:09 PM

Then you are not 100% certain.
Or I just don't like making bets that aren't 1:1.

@Fray - Or he doesn't want to be that big of a scumbag.  Because, let's face it, that'd be a pretty low-down move, a lot lower than simply making everyone wait a week to receive their funds (if that happens).
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:10:26 PM

What would stop pirate from doing this if he intends to pay back? (I understand he wouldn't use his identity for that because some would probably object but it's doable)

Signature space available for rent.
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:32:28 PM

What would stop pirate from doing this if he intends to pay back? (I understand he wouldn't use his identity for that because some would probably object but it's doable)

Nothing as far as I can tell.  Like I said, the fact that he isn't doing this (as far as I can see) seems to me like a strong indication that he won't be paying back.  \

Should be as simple as creating an anonymous account on glbse.com and buying up all the various pirate pass-thru bonds/shares that are selling below face value.
JoelKatz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 12:05:23 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2012, 10:07:08 PM by JoelKatz

Please take this caution seriously. I don't know for a fact that this is happening, but there's a very serious risk associated with buying Pirate debt that is not obvious. The debt you are buying may not actually exist even if you confirmed it.

Jesus, dude.  Do you have trouble sleeping because there is a non-zero chance that a cougar is lurking under your bed, waiting for you to let down your guard?
No, because that's not a very serious risk. Nobody has a large incentive to put a cougar under my bed. But if they did, then it would be something I'd be worried about.

Your attempts to incite FUD are impressive but also kind of desperate and sad.
Name-calling is not a substitute for an argument. Do you agree with me that it's in Pirate's self-interest to do this?

We are used to people basically being honest because we have built a society in which deception is generally punished. When you're in a situation where deception would clearly be extremely profitable, it's unreasonable not to seriously consider the possibility that you are being deceived. That's not FUD, it's just the way the world really is.

The fact is that Pirate personally comes off much better if he doesn't pay back his obligations and sells his own debt. The only reasons for him not to do that are personal honestly, fear of reprisals, and the value of his reputation. It's not FUD to say those factors should be weighed against the profit he stands to make.

It's also not FUD to point out non-obvious risk factors. Prior to my pointing it out, I'm not aware of anyone who pointed out that it's in Pirate's financial interest to *sell* Pirate debt.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: