Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:10:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican food, tamales, homemade tortillas etc Test Run Just Pay Shipping  (Read 3347 times)
jasinlee (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:24:26 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2012, 05:14:53 PM by jasinlee

Thinking of taking a page from bit pantry and putting the wifey to work, could I get some feedback, would anyone buy homemade tortillas, tamales and other dishes upon request? (Many of them would have to sit overnight to taste right anyway so sending them wont be bad on the food since it holds for a long time. Gimme some feedback on what you think plz.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:34:31 AM

If you can ship it properly, I would say, yes people will buy it. Also, I should probably ask, does your wifey know you are volunteering her to do this? If not, delete this thread quick before bad things happen.

edit* You have to be very careful though, make sure you disclose all allergenic food stuffs that are in the food. If you are selling peanut butter, and forget to mention it has peanuts in it, some jackass will find a way to sue you.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:38:53 AM

Thinking of taking a page from bit pantry and putting the wifey to work, could I get some feedback, would anyone buy homemade tortillas, tamales and other dishes upon request? (Many of them would have to sit overnight to taste right anyway so sending them wont be bad on the food since it holds for a long time. Gimme some feedback on what you think plz.
How are you shipping them? Where are you located?

I'd be a customer if you are in Ontario and have a good shipping plan.
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:44:01 AM

Maybe Dried goods? shipping and spoiling may be an issue otherwise.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
jasinlee (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:47:41 AM

Well stuff such as tortillas, they hold for weeks just like bread in a plastic bag. The tamales though, would have to go on dry ice there is meat in it. Although I would just overkill it and pack it with lots of dry ice. And yes she knows Tongue Shes the whitest mexican I have ever seen but of the 8 siblings in the family and counting her mom and grandparents. She is the best cook of all of them, whats funny is she even makes "White" food which is to say no spicey ingredients if you so desire. And my all time favorites (I love pastas) she makes chicken alfredo homemade which is low carb like 5g per serving, tastes better than any restaurant, homemade sauce (she uses some fat free deal I have no clue what it is) I lost weight eating the stuff she makes, and its freaking good. So yes she is a good cook and yes we can ship just about anything. But I am going to have to figure out how much it would cost to ship most of it and if there is interest Smiley and btw if you think this is like taco bell food remember taco bell is americanized for us chubby americans. Real tortillas are fluffy like a slice of bread and taste good. But keep the feedback coming, I will show her this thread later see if she would want to try a trial run.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Niann

Activity: 691
Merit: 511

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:50:05 AM

I'm pretty sure you could work that up.
Especially if you in a city/region with lots of people that use bitcoin as a currency.

Cheers and good luck my friend.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:53:39 AM

Heres a link with some tips on how to ship stuff with dry ice. http://www.continentalcarbonic.com/dryice/shipping.php

Do keep in mind, shipping can be incredibly expensive, but you can figure out all of your costs later.

Why this is a good idea is, food sells incredibly well in all aspects, you have restaurants, grocery stores, and online for BTC, everyone needs to eat, and most people like to eat. I haven't seen anyone selling Mexican food for BTC, so it looks like you have a nice market niche here. So I would say, go for it.
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 03:25:17 AM

I'm not sure I'd order anything that required dry ice to ship as I'd be afraid of the high shipping cost plus things that can go wrong there.   But as long as the cost was low enough I would probably try homemade tortillas for sure.  I hope you'll look into it and let us know how much it would cost to make/ship and be worth your time.

Electricbees

Activity: 322

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:52:54 AM

I have been known to kill for a good tamale...

Count me in if you can get this off the ground!

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
TehZomB

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:00:01 AM

If you can keep shipping costs low, I'm in.
jasinlee (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:53:36 PM

Looks like this will be a go. Now who is not wearing a tin foil hat right now and is willing to give out their home address so we can get a test run started....we will start with tortillas since they wont require any dry ice.

jasinlee (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:51:52 PM

Our first brave soul! SaltySpitoon. We will hold the arsenic we swear.

evlew

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:24:25 PM

I'm in. PM me and I'll give you my address.

I also have a white mexican girlfriend  Cheesy
she doesn't cook at all.  kinda sucks.. her mom makes bomb ass tamales though.  she also doesn't like spicy... must be genetic lol.

Are the tortillas flour or corn?  I don't really have a preference.  I like the fluffy corn tortillas for sopes.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:58:01 PM

Wonder if tortillas can be shipped media mail...
Hah, only if you write on them.

I'd be interested in the chicken alfredo... I freaking love pasta as well, and chicken alfredo is one of my favorite dishes.  How much for 5 lbs of the stuff?  Cheesy
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 04:59:19 PM

Where are  you located? I live in San Antonio, so your competition is fierce. My wife is Hispanic and an excellent cook, as well, but it's just so cheap and easy for us to pickup home made fresh (as in, made a few minutes ago) tortillas from a number of places.

Still around.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 05:56:46 PM

Where are  you located? I live in San Antonio, so your competition is fierce. My wife is Hispanic and an excellent cook, as well, but it's just so cheap and easy for us to pickup home made fresh (as in, made a few minutes ago) tortillas from a number of places.

There are not a lot of places around here that will do that, but we are in Florida.
Does that mean shipping to Canada is not an option (or, prohibitively expensive)? That's too bad then.
yunk3r

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 06:00:35 PM

I live in Kentucky and would probably be willing to buy stuff depending on price.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 12:59:19 AM

I am in California and would be interested in being a guinea pig for this.

Do you have a tamale recipe that's meatless? Like cheese tamales or raja tamales?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
quicklynx

Activity: 271

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 03:24:11 AM

Seems like people like food.

I can make some mean mac n cheese and an even meaner alfredo....

I just don't know how good the Alfredo would do being jarred and shipped.

The Mexican food sounds like a good idea. Freeze it, wrap it up, stick it in a U-Line insulated shipper with a couple of cold bricks and ship it.

jasinlee (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 03:31:55 AM

Thanks for the Uline Idea, that might actually work. Even just some cheap thermos too.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: