Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:10:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you introduce Bitcoin to your friends and family?  (Read 10881 times)
Pro_Crypto_Marty

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Bitcoin promoter. Pro Crypto tee wearer. Nice guy.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 06:31:11 PM

As far as getting people involved in it, I haven't had much success. They don't see it having any direct use for them on a short term basis. Also, even if I show them how simple it is to get some, they see it as an extra hassle just to buy things they can find much more easily elsewhere (e.g. having to by gift certificates on https://www.gyft.com/ before buying elsewhere). It's an extra step they prefer to skip.

What I'm currently trying is to increase visibility indirectly and make Bitcoin seem like a normal accepted idea before any conversation about it has occurred. For example, my buddy makes good looking designs themed around Bitcoin for t-shirts and we're hoping that just wearing them (us looking like normal guys and not anonymous online human traffickers) will make the notion of digital currency seep into people's minds as part of everyday life, even if they themselves don't use it yet.

Also, I just got http://theageofcryptocurrency.com/ and I try to have it in my hands or close to me as much as possible even when not reading just so people I'm with will notice it.

These actions might seem small, but many people have less than positive preconceptions about Bitcoin, and seeing it accepted by those around them will help to open them up to it.

We are Pro Crypto. We make clothes that promote Bitcoin. Visit us at http://procrypto.net!
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also become an affiliate and make some money by advertising for us!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 10:57:10 PM

Investing is a game and the volatility is part of the game, most people do not want to risk and prefer the traditional money.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:40:50 PM

Investing is a game and the volatility is part of the game, most people do not want to risk and prefer the traditional money.

It's a high risk and high reward investment.  You can have a huge percent of return compared to normal investments, but can also have a huge percent of loss.

If you compare it to buying something like AAA Bonds, yes it's no where near as stable.  But the return comparing the two can be huge.
planetroving (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:13:57 AM

Well, title say all to be honest. How would you introduce them to Bitcoin? Let's say they don't exactly have the technical know-how. I've been with Bitcoin for a while, but still don't understand it fully either, so this will help me as well along the way.
Thank you

You try to tell them once but normally they will ...
-think it's a joke and not "real money"
-not understand it
-not be interested in it
-be very sceptical
-suspect you are doing something illegal
-come to you and ask for money once the price is up

so, no, you're not talking to people about it normally.
Yeah, I've experience the "It's not real" reply from some people I have tried to introduce it to them. They think it it similar to the currency you get from in-app purchases on mobile games. So I just change the subject, as somebody suggested earlier on in this thread. Also, when I explain the risks with gambling and the likes, they suddenly become uninterested. i try to explain that it is just like any other currency.

Gee, it's hard, but it is fascinating to listen to what other people have to say about Bitcoin and their reactions. Smiley
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 04:51:42 PM

Whenever someone mentions a banking problem, explain how Bitcoin would solve it. For example, a friend wanted to start a business, had to deal with a million paperworks. I Explained and shown him a video of how easy it would be to create a BTC address and start recieving payments like that.

Another day a friend needed to send cash to another friend to pick up a taxi, he was screwed up since it was at the middle of the night. He was visiting spain where they have apps like btcpoint and bit2me, I explained them to him. He told him to download the app which allows you to withdraw money from practically any ATM, and he converted the bitcoin to cash, in the middle of the night, only with a smartphone, and in a foreign country (he was a tourist). This is the future and this is why BTC will go to millions. It does previously impossible things.
Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:20:23 PM

I'd show them the video on WeUseCoins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2en3nHxA4
And while this is going on, I'd explain each and every aspect and compare it to fiat and let them know about the advantages. Then, I'd focus on the blockchain a bit and if they're interested, they'll be browsing weusecoins on their own, or else, ill setup a blockchain.info wallet for them and then perform a few transactions, and I'd let them know about changetip and how they can tip people and stuff.

btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:34:47 PM

Sharing video is the most easiest way to explain instead using 1000 word with mouth Grin
Plus I'm also shared how I can made $1 into $10 by gambling.So when looking for BTC, I'm explain about there's a local exchanger that able to change local currency into bitcoin. I show them how I can win some bucks from gambling to attract my friend and family.
Bitcoin Explorer

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 04:01:54 PM

Sharing video is the most easiest way to explain instead using 1000 word with mouth Grin
Plus I'm also shared how I can made $1 into $10 by gambling.So when looking for BTC, I'm explain about there's a local exchanger that able to change local currency into bitcoin. I show them how I can win some bucks from gambling to attract my friend and family.
Yeah..... videos/visuals get much more engagement from teh audience and with over 10 million views(both version 1 and version 2) of the WeUseCoins videos, that is just amazing, a perfect summary of the benefits.

torrentheaven

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 01:43:03 AM

I would simply ask them to watch video on youtube named The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin.
This will definitely help them to understand the concept of bitcoin as it clearly defines  bitcoin since its inception it give clear picture including technical knowhow.
Bitcoin Explorer

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:30:01 AM

I would simply ask them to watch video on youtube named The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin.
This will definitely help them to understand the concept of bitcoin as it clearly defines  bitcoin since its inception it give clear picture including technical knowhow.
That is a long movie, so maybe first the WeUseCoins video and then the documentary

umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:12:52 PM

As the family and friends would not be that technology friendly so it's better to explain them in a layman's language. Because everyone is so busy with their job they resist in a change and as they are not aware of the concept of time they will not show any interest unless basic things are made clear to them.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:57:34 PM

It is a great documentary, and I have watched it many times in the past. But the problem is that the movie was created when Bitcoin was trading at $1,000+ levels, and before the Mt Gox robbery happened. It is a bit outdated. We need something which is more recent.
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 01:04:37 PM

First of all i would ask them are you aware about the bitcoins??

If the answer is Yes, then it will be easy for me to explain them about the bitcoins. But if the answer is No then it requires to explain them since its origin and history Generally those who are not aware about bitcoins will not get attract to it quickly.
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 03:22:33 PM

Introducing bitcoin to friends and family is a really tough job to do i guess.

You can introduce it only if you have the best knowledge of it and even if you are a beginner and learning from someone else its better not to introduce to them. Technical know-how is very important in bitcoin so i prefer that i learn everything and then introduce it to my friends & family.
vishwaratna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 03:53:27 PM

I would rather say my cousin that btcs are something that are going up down and again up down..
And I am sure he will love to hear that..and soon he will be investing in it.. Tongue

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱ First Instant Crypto Exchange                              Sign Up Now!                    Visit our Facebook & Twitter
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
dinda22
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:04:01 PM

I just tell them that bitcoin is a virtual currency and I did not know they understand it or not and they just nodded haha
Nahl
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:34:07 PM

basically my family and my friends already know about bitcoin and how it work besides my mom and dad because they never care about this and now to learn about bitcoin its very easy many site introduce how and what is bitcoin and in my place bitcoin more and
more people already know everyday
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:01:12 PM

1.) Trigger 'PDM (Proper Distraction Method)' at appropriate time.
2.) Snatch up friends Android or iPhone on sly.
3.) Excuse yourself and go to the little girls room (or boy depending:p)
4.) Install a lightweight Bitcoin client application on their phone
5.) Once it has synced up shoot them a couple of bit pennies.
6.) Slyly slip the phone back if possible or just come clean and tell them you hacked their phone.
Easy Peasy.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
hunnaryb

Activity: 506

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:05:40 PM

basically my family and my friends already know about bitcoin and how it work besides my mom and dad because they never care about this and now to learn about bitcoin its very easy many site introduce how and what is bitcoin and in my place bitcoin more and

Yup there are many sites that introduces what bitcoin is but there are many people who haven't heard a word called 'Bitcoin' So at that stage it would really become difficult to introduce and explain them the concept and the old generation will never invest in bitcoins as they are very much comfortable with fiat money.

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

Bitcoin Explorer

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:36:53 AM

Yup there are many sites that introduces what bitcoin is but there are many people who haven't heard a word called 'Bitcoin' So at that stage it would really become difficult to introduce and explain them the concept and the old generation will never invest in bitcoins as they are very much comfortable with fiat money.
I suppose you need to make them understand everything one step at a time rather than shoving up everything all at once. The main aim should be to get them interested

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: