Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:56:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HardWallet series, hardware based wallets for multiple cryptocurrencies  (Read 3975 times)
kamronk (OP)

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

Bitcoin is to money what the internet was to media

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 11:00:03 PM

so we wont be able to buy our own sd cards and add whatever wallets we like?

I was hope'n we would be able to add as many as the system can handle through formatting the SD card to the device then adding standard/windows wallet QT and the AppData/file so we wouldn't have to worry about waiting for blockchains to sync etc and wouldn't have to worry if a coins wallet would be compatible or not.

not sure I understand it all and the process yet, but you deff have me curious 

You definitely could get your own sd cards and install whatever wallets/daemons you liked, but this is a headless ubuntu micro computer. As well as with that being said, there's a prepared web accessible UI for you to work with the installed coin daemon.

So, yes you could add whatever it is you like, but it's not windows, and it would be missing some things...

The best place for all bitcoin newbies
http://bitcoinintroduction.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 11:01:54 PM

Is SSH enabled on these devices by default? I hate connecting keyboards and mouses to things. Grin

Nope :/ You can enable it once you get the device, but you would have to hook up the keyboard to atleast get into the shell and enable it that first time.

We decided for safety it'd be best to just disable it all together (technically we remove it) before sending to the end user.

fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Kaspa

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 12:19:01 AM

I was hope'n we would be able to add as many as the system can handle through formatting the SD card to the device then adding standard/windows wallet QT and the AppData/file so we wouldn't have to worry about waiting for blockchains to sync etc and wouldn't have to worry if a coins wallet would be compatible or not.

You definitely could get your own sd cards and install whatever wallets/daemons you liked, but this is a headless ubuntu micro computer. As well as with that being said, there's a prepared web accessible UI for you to work with the installed coin daemon.

So, yes you could add whatever it is you like, but it's not windows, and it would be missing some things...

K I think I get what your saying, lol I hope you make a simple walk through video to show newbs step by step how to work it and add their new favorite coins.

I'm obviously a newb when it comes to tech.. is ubuntu linix or something? so we wouldn't use pre compiled QT, but would use the github to compile it?

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 01:10:18 AM

K I think I get what your saying, lol I hope you make a simple walk through video to show newbs step by step how to work it and add their new favorite coins.

I'm obviously a newb when it comes to tech.. is ubuntu linix or something? so we wouldn't use pre compiled QT, but would use the github to compile it?

Yes, that's the process I'm shooting for to try and automate adding additional coins atleast. Right now the coins just come as selected in the purchasing portal.

Yes ubuntu is linux Smiley and I couldn't agree more about videos, they will be coming soon

notahardwarewallet

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 02:02:38 AM

This is not a "hardware wallet".

• Anybody on your local network can just sniff passwords and replace packets, so provides no protection against malware.
  • It's arguably not a hardware wallet. It's a $35 ODroid C1.
  • The software is not open source so who knows how insecure it is.

There is no value to anybody buying this, and every probability using one will lead to the loss of your money.
kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 02:31:50 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2015, 06:27:01 PM by kamronk

This is not a "hardware wallet".

• Anybody on your local network can just sniff passwords and replace packets, so provides no protection against malware.
  • It's arguably not a hardware wallet. It's a $35 ODroid C1.
  • The software is not open source so who knows how insecure it is.

There is no value to anybody buying this, and every probability using one will lead to the loss of your money.

Well it's no trezor, nor a ledger wallet obviously. Might be better described as a dedicated micro-computer with a prepared interface for less technical users.

It's arguably not a hardware wallet. It's a $35 ODroid C1.

That's the base board for this device, yes.

The software is not open source so who knows how insecure it is.

It's the most recent GH source of any coin out there, and it's sounding like it's time to just go ahead and release the source of the java web UI. The web UI is the only piece of this device that is not open source (edit: it is now open source).

A dedicated device for POS coins has always been in demand, people have even begun to trust cloud POS wallets (like that's a safer option).

Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be. Open source hardware has come far enough to start running substantial applications. Next step in dev boards will be 64 bit processors, which will open up many more doors.

If this is who I'm guessing it is, you're choosing to hate on our project because you were and are, too lazy to do it yourself. Feel free to keep trying to poke holes though, I'll be at the ready to answer every single attempt.

kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 02:27:21 PM

Would there be any way to turn one of these (https://bitseed.org/product/blockchain-node-developer-version/)   into one of the (BTI) wallets??

Is it more the SDcard software or more the hardware that makes this a specialized product??

Just wondering?  Huh?

Thanks!!

Yes, but the interface you would use to interact with the bitcoin node would be where my knowledge ends. I haven't used a bitseed before, so I don't know how you interact with the bitcoin daemon.

With our device, the user has a web UI that is functional on any device that has a web browser and is connected to the same LAN, as well as our device is built with a modular approach to use with any coin that has a JSON-RPC API interface. These two facts I feel designate us from the bitseed. As well as how much we are engaging the communities in the bitcoin space, I haven't seen the engineers from the bitseed device anywhere.

kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 02:55:11 PM

Would there be any way to turn one of these (https://bitseed.org/product/blockchain-node-developer-version/)   into one of the (BTI) wallets??

Is it more the SDcard software or more the hardware that makes this a specialized product??

Just wondering?  Huh?

Thanks!!

Yes, but the interface you would use to interact with the bitcoin node would be where my knowledge ends. I haven't used a bitseed before, so I don't know how you interact with the bitcoin daemon.

With our device, the user has a web UI that is functional on any device that has a web browser and is connected to the same LAN, as well as our device is built with a modular approach to use with any coin that has a JSON-RPC API interface. These two facts I feel designate us from the bitseed. As well as how much we are engaging the communities in the bitcoin space, I haven't seen the engineers from the bitseed device anywhere.

Thank you for the information. Smiley

The bitseed runs in a similar fashion, using a web browser UI and LAN connected. (and SDcard)
They gave the option to remove their daemon and you can replace with a wallet-qt to run as your node.

Can an SDcard be "partitioned" to run more than one program?? Is this even a thing??
Or would it be more a hardware issue, where you would maybe need 2 SDcard slots??
(AND why don't  all of these micro-PCs use micro-SD.... seems that you would save some circuit board space.

In the staking process, does the BTI act as a node as well??

I get the ideas, but am lost on some of the technical details. Cheesy

Thanks Smiley

No problem at all Smiley I'm happy to answer questions!

Gotcha, good to know about the bitseed UI. An sd card can be partitioned, but it's not a necessary thing to do in order to just install another program. You could still use the same sd card with multiple partitions, as well as you could even created a bootable USB drive and boot the microcomptuer from it. Yes, we are using micro-sd cards Smiley

No the Staker will not act as a full node. It will be kind of a node as far as it's P2P communication, but there is no standard port forwarding involved in the set up of this device.

Hope that helps! If not, keep the questions coming Smiley

kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 02:55:49 PM

Staker Web UI Source code

https://github.com/Blockchaintechs/StakerUI

presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:22:33 PM

Coooool hardware Cool I have been staking on an Odroid C1 for a few months now and it works great. I do plan to upgrade the SD to eMMc eventually though.

(coffee mug to show size)

Anyone looking to put HyperStake on their Odroid can see my post here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=678849.msg10556142#msg10556142

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 09:44:38 PM

Coooool hardware Cool I have been staking on an Odroid C1 for a few months now and it works great. I do plan to upgrade the SD to eMMc eventually though.

(coffee mug to show size)

Anyone looking to put HyperStake on their Odroid can see my post here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=678849.msg10556142#msg10556142

Nice!! Cheesy

How do you interact with the daemon? By chance could our web UI be of help to you? I can personally help you install Smiley

presstab
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:47:40 PM

I just use rpc commands via terminal. If I need GUI I will just use QT wallet with the same privkeys from my desktop. Honestly I don't need to do much with the daemon, it will run for weeks at a time with no problems or maintenance needed and it stakes like a champion. 2-4 stakes an hour usually Smiley

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 01:48:42 AM

I just use rpc commands via terminal. If I need GUI I will just use QT wallet with the same privkeys from my desktop. Honestly I don't need to do much with the daemon, it will run for weeks at a time with no problems or maintenance needed and it stakes like a champion. 2-4 stakes an hour usually Smiley

Nice, that honestly sounds as simple as can be Cheesy

From this perspective buying from us is someone buying the device, and paying us to pre-install all the necessary software/dependencies/builds. We also throw in a web based UI for the end user to do things like get the priv keys to bring into their native QT.

If you ever need a new board, we do accept bitcoin! Wink

presstab
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:53:20 PM

From this perspective buying from us is someone buying the device, and paying us to pre-install all the necessary software/dependencies/builds. We also throw in a web based UI for the end user to do things like get the priv keys to bring into their native QT.

I can definitely see the use in having a user friendly pre-setup and ready to go odroid shipped to your door. Just wanted to stop by this thread and give an A+++++ to Odroid hardware.

kamronk (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 03:34:50 PM

I can definitely see the use in having a user friendly pre-setup and ready to go odroid shipped to your door. Just wanted to stop by this thread and give an A+++++ to Odroid hardware.

It's appreciated man Smiley They are less popular but they really are impressive and easy to work with. The odroid is of course the base board here, but also is the micro computer used in my other project Klubcams, there it's used as a dedicated feeder for a businesses live stream of images. Helps get rid of the need for an on-site computer. I'm bringing them to a Google IO conference next month too where myself and other developers will be talking/teaching about developing devices and wearables.

TL;DR - I'm an odroid fan as well haha Smiley thanks for stopping by for sure

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: