Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:14:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AI algorithms  (Read 1037 times)
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 06:17:40 PM

Dearest cryptography experts, I have a theoretical question

How feasible would it be to have an AI generating cryptographic algorithms, such that new algorithms may be generated faster than ASICs can be developed? And for it to continue creating new algorithms (like one every 6 months, or whatever the minimum ASIC development time might be), for decades?

I can intuit that clearly, this is not currently possible, but just wondering if there might already be theoretical basis out there to suggest its existence in the future.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:29:25 AM

I think it will be exist in the future, people will just learn it and then make it.

faucet used to be profitable
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:59:08 AM

How feasible would it be to have an AI generating cryptographic algorithms, such that new algorithms may be generated faster than ASICs can be developed? And for it to continue creating new algorithms (like one every 6 months, or whatever the minimum ASIC development time might be), for decades?

I can intuit that clearly, this is not currently possible, but just wondering if there might already be theoretical basis out there to suggest its existence in the future.

We have a bigger issue if a true AI (rather than just a well coded program) is actually created. For it to actively look for new implementations it would need to be able to replicate thought patterns (in the same way humans think at least) which presents the possibility that it outstrips any conventional barriers or failsafes we code.

In reality, I'm not sure if we'll actually ever have AI, but if we do there'll be much more use in other fields rather than new crypto implementations. Much more likely humans come up with new solutions. As for as ASICs go I honestly don't really see the problem, what are you trying to do by making ASICs obsolete (make everyone use a CPU?).
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:22:30 AM

what are you trying to do by making ASICs obsolete (make everyone use a CPU?).

It seems like that wouldn't be fair to the people who can't afford to mine profitably with a CPU.

Perhaps the AI should create algorithms that are CPU resistant.  Then we can make everyone use pencil and paper!
Enzyme

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:39:33 AM

I believe this is certainly possible, although we don't need new algorithms every 6 months.

And if there's a major flaw in the AI, everything depending on the algorithm is screwed.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 10:53:24 AM

It seems like that wouldn't be fair to the people who can't afford to mine profitably with a CPU.

Perhaps the AI should create algorithms that are CPU resistant.  Then we can make everyone use pencil and paper!

I dont think thats fair for those that cant afford pencils or paper. The algorithm should be solveable in human minds only. Its the only way to achieve true decentralization.

This is mean to be sarcastic and fun.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:27:41 AM

yes, it's for the old ASIC resistant idea, for the sake of better decentralisation, to avoid astronomically high transaction fees once most coins are mined. I imagine each mass adopted user doing their own ledger checking ('mining') sufficiently that transaction fees plus mining balance out to no or very low transaction cost. Not so easy to figure out how such a thing could be made to happen in reality of course

I dont think thats fair for those that cant afford pencils or paper. The algorithm should be solveable in human minds only. Its the only way to achieve true decentralization.

ha! Well assuming AI doesn't terminate us, and transhumanist neuroscience gets to where it's trying to go soon enough, we'll be well enough mind/tech integrated for that anyway  Wink

ryager

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 05:45:11 AM

We have a bigger issue if a true AI (rather than just a well coded program) is actually created. For it to actively look for new implementations it would need to be able to replicate thought patterns (in the same way humans think at least) which presents the possibility that it outstrips any conventional barriers or failsafes we code.

Thought is the easy part, it is just the act of thinking. and to think is to have a particular opinion, belief, or idea about someone or something. And thinking is just using what you think to make decisions. So in order to have thought all you do is have a continuous loop that examines information against the way the AI thinks, ergo thought. The hard part is to have a base of opinions, beliefs and ideas large enough to stimulate learning.
 Roll Eyes
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:52:28 AM

Frank Herbert went as far as outlawing computers and Mentats were created.  The spice is life.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
altcoinex

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

Director - www.cubeform.io

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 07:05:19 PM

Even better, we can build mechanical robots to do the pencil and papering for us! Of course, these robots will eat rare earth minerals, so we will all use metal tools to chip away special rocks from inside a mountain of normal rock, we can call the process 'mining'!

╓╢╬╣╣╖
                                   ┌║██████║∩
                                   ]█████████
                                    ╜██████╝`
                                      ╙╜╜╜`
                                   ╓╥@@@@@@╥╓
         ╓╖@@╖,                 ,@║██████████╢@,                 ,╓@@╖╓
       ╓╢██████╢.              ╓╢███████████████╖               ║╢█████║╓
       ║█████████    ,,╓╓,,   ┌║█████████████████┐   ,,╓╓,,    ]█████████
       └╢██████║` ╓╢║██████╢║∩``╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙`»╢╢██████╢║╖  ║███████╜
         "╜╜╜╜` ╖╢█████████╣╜                      └╢██████████@ `╜╜╜╜╜
               ║██████████╜                          ╙╢██████████
              ┌█████████╜                              ╙╢█████████
              └███████╨`                                 ╜████████
               ║████╨╜                                    `╢█████
                ╙╢╣╜                                        └╢█╜
                ,,                                            ,,
             ╓@║██┐                                          ┌██║@╓
            ╢██████                                          ]█████H
           ╢███████∩                                        ┌████████
  ╓@@@@╓   █████████                                        ║████████`  ╓@@@@╖
╓╢██████║. █████████∩                                      ┌█████████ ,║███████╖
██████████ └█████████                                      ██████████ ]█████████
`║██████╜`  └╢████████                                    ┌███████╣╜   ╙██████╨`
  `╙╜╜╙`      `╙╨╢████                                    █████╝╜`       `╙╜╜`
                      ]@╓                              ╓╖H
                      ███╢║@╓,                    ,╓@╢╢███`
                      ████████╢@╖╓.           ╓╖@║████████`
                      ]███████████╢║@╓,  ,╓@╢╢████████████
                       ╙╢█████████████╨` ╜██████████████╜
                         ╙╝╢███████║╜`    `╜║████████╝╜`
                     ,╓@@@╓  `²╙``             `╙²`  ╓@@@╖,
                    ║╢█████╢H                      ╓╢██████H
                    █████████                      █████████`
                    ╙╢██████╜                      ╙╢██████╜
                      └╨╩╝┘                          └╨╩╝╜
WINFLOW.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 09:58:07 PM

Even better, we can build mechanical robots to do the pencil and papering for us! Of course, these robots will eat rare earth minerals, so we will all use metal tools to chip away special rocks from inside a mountain of normal rock, we can call the process 'mining'!
All we would need to do then is change the internet into a system of pneumatic tubes so we can spend those special rocks.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: