Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:40:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is required to share my work  (Read 401 times)
bitcoinltc (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:32:26 AM

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum from google and landed on a discussion about a Bitcoin faucet bot someone had written and was trying to get his work out. I should have taken the link and posted it.
Anyway, essentially the poster had created an account and then just posted a 'Get this now' sort of approach to getting his work out there, and was rightly (sort of) put down for it.

Although, I agree with a lot of the posters here were they say...No, it can't be trusted and shouldn't be run. It is very hard for a developer to share his code as we all know that it will be ripped apart and a new version with a different name etc attached.

As I said, I stumbled across this as I was searching to see what the competition was for my own faucet bot rotator. I'm not going to peddle my bot to you, so don't worry Smiley But I am interested in what would make people generally feel better about running an unknown program, so that I can try to get my own work out easier.

I've listed what I believe they are below.

1. Reputation IE know developer or long standing member (I don't fall under this - Fail)
2. Open Source (I'm one of those wary people who believe their code would be stolen / changed etc...Still in two minds but - Fail)
3. Proofs Ie proof of faucet payments (No issue there and cant see why no one wouldn't want to show it - Pass)
4. Programming language. I believe most would prefer pyhon or something readable (back to point 2 here - Fail as written in C#
5. Not obfuscated. This is so it can be decompliled etc. Also, a lot of virus tools will falsely see it as a virus. (I admit, I lightly obfuscate my code. It can still be decompiled and could be ripped apart if anyone really wanted to try. For me its really to stop the script kiddies ripping it. - Fail I guess)

Maybe I should have written this as a poll. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think as it is interesting and would help me promote my own bot better.

Regards

bitcoinltc

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 01:07:08 PM

I usually trust people who post have open source code with decent documentation in the code. I also trust people who have trust or aren't newbies whose first post is trying to get his work out. I suppose obfuscation is okay, as long as the code is open source.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: