Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:37:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please show me how to sign a message step by step and what is its significance ?  (Read 689 times)
safetybitcoin (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 03:13:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a member of this forum for quite some time and I have seen many people here are often asked to sign a message when making a purchase

transactions. I really do not know what it means to do what it is and please help me understand it a most thorough and instructions step by step.

If possible, please illustrate it with a concrete example. For example : You sell an item for me and I ask you to sign a message. So what do you do ?

and I will do? to complete this purchase.

I look forward to your help !

Sincerely thanks !

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Death

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 03:37:41 AM

I would like to know as well. I hear and read about it all the time but nobody wants to explain it. Tried googling and youtube, no luck. Although it may be automatic.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 03:38:28 AM

Here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Bittings

Activity: 157

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:15:46 AM

Above link explains how to sign very well. If we come to second part of your question:

Well, there are -at least- 2 purposes that I know.

a-) For example, lets say youre selling some btt forum accounts, people want a signed message from a BTC address at an old unedited post to prove that account is not stolen or hacked.

b-) Lets say youre selling some goods and you have a deal a potential buyer. Buyer can ask a signed message from you not to change your idea or the price. The purpose of signed message is here opposite side cannot change the deal unless providing a new signed message and you can easily prove the original deal. When there is a conflict between buyer and seller, a signed message can handle the problem.

safetybitcoin (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:29:28 AM

Thanks for your help ! And I have already read that thread. I also knew how to sign a message from my bitcoin-core clients. But I don't know after I signed a message then what I will do next ? I can change it by a new message with the same bitcoin address later or not ?
So, I hope everyone here help me "step by step" .
Thanks again !

Bittings

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:48:06 AM

Thanks for your help ! And I have already read that thread. I also knew how to sign a message from my bitcoin-core clients. But I don't know after I signed a message then what I will do next ? I can change it by a new message with the same bitcoin address later or not ?
Thanks again !

Lets say you are selling 10 LTC @ 0.06 BTC and buyer agrees with you at that price and wants a signed message from you.

1-) You sign a message that includes the sale price and other terms and send it to potential buyer.
2-) Buyer keeps signed message for a possible conflict.
3-) If everything goes smoothly, deal is closed. However , either one of parties doesnot obey the deal , it will be easy to identify the who breaks the rules.

Possible conflicts:
Buyer sends 0.06 BTC and you can say that it isnt the sale price , it is 0.065 BTC.(But signed message says 0.06 BTC)
Buyer sends 0.06 BTC to an unknown BTC address that you arent specified in the signed message. So, you can prove that you didnt get the payment in case of wrong payment.

4-) Third party looks at the signed message and decides the wrong side of the deal. But please keep in mind a signed message doesnt prevent the scam. It just helps out the faulty part. If you are dealing transaction , use an ESCROW not to worry in future.

safetybitcoin (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:48:30 AM

Above link explains how to sign very well. If we come to second part of your question:

Well, there are -at least- 2 purposes that I know.

a-) For example, lets say youre selling some btt forum accounts, people want a signed message from a BTC address at an old unedited post to prove that account is not stolen or hacked.

b-) Lets say youre selling some goods and you have a deal a potential buyer. Buyer can ask a signed message from you not to change your idea or the price. The purpose of signed message is here opposite side cannot change the deal unless providing a new signed message and you can easily prove the original deal. When there is a conflict between buyer and seller, a signed message can handle the problem.

Oh, I sincere thank you for your help !Your answer helped me understand more about the meaning of this especially "part b" . Now I can know how is the inportance of the sign a message. But I still have a wonder . How can I check that message ? How a signed message can handle the problem ?
Sincerely thanks again!

Bittings

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:55:48 AM

How can I check that message ?

You can check and verify a signed message from online https://brainwallet.github.io/#verify or you can check it from your wallets installed on your computer. Its already explained first answer to OP.

How a signed message can handle the problem ?

===snip===

Lets say you are selling 10 LTC @ 0.06 BTC and buyer agrees with you at that price and wants a signed message from you.

1-) You sign a message that includes the sale price and other terms and send it to potential buyer.
3-) If everything goes smoothly, deal is closed. However , either one of parties doesnot obey the deal , it will be easy to identify the who breaks the rules.

Possible conflicts:
Buyer sends 0.06 BTC and you can say that it isnt the sale price , it is 0.065 BTC.(But signed message says 0.06 BTC)
Buyer sends 0.06 BTC to an unknown BTC address that you arent specified in the signed message. So, you can prove that you didnt get the payment in case of wrong payment.

4-) Third party looks at the signed message and decides the wrong side of the deal. But please keep in mind a signed message doesnt prevent the scam. It just helps out the faulty part. If you are dealing transaction , use an ESCROW not to worry in future.

safetybitcoin (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 05:05:52 AM

Thanks again !

Possible conflicts:

Hi Bittings,

Oh, Great man ! I appreciate your enthusiastic help ! And I sincere thank you so much !
Almost I understood 85% about this problem thanks to your help ! only one thing I want to ask you is how to check it and could sign another message to the same address as well or not ?

Regards,

safetybitcoin (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 05:10:02 AM

How can I check that message ?

You can check and verify a signed message from online https://brainwallet.github.io/#verify or you can check it from your wallets installed on your computer. Its already explained first answer to OP.

How a signed message can handle the problem ?

===snip===

Possible conflicts:

Oh, great !. Thanks Bittings so much ! I understood 95% about "sign a message" . Thanks again ! my great man !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: