Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:53:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Deepbit offline...  (Read 19205 times)
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:09:04 PM

Oh well, btcguild here we cum.

"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:10:12 PM

i like!

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jasonk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:13:59 PM

I just took my 1.2G hashes to BTC Guild.  So far so good. Smiley

No fees! Yay!
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:20:11 PM

Any guess on the major pools that make up OTHER?
jasonk

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:21:37 PM

Any guess on the major pools that make up OTHER?

Not pools.  Solo mining mostly I think.
yunk3r

Activity: 133

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:22:36 PM

no way most of other is slush and deepbit.
yunk3r

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:24:01 PM

i wonder if deepbit being down will cause a huge difficulty decrease. if enough people don't switch there miners to different pools i could happen. 
schnak

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:26:04 PM

it looks like the overall speed hasnt decreased much yet. so seems like most are staying on top of things.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:30:46 PM

i like!
slush down too?
kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:35:57 PM

yep.

anewbie

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:37:18 PM

slush down too?

The website is.  Miners are still getting work.

The interesting question is whether the parts that acknowledge that work and account for it are down with the website or if they are separate.

I was a few confirmations away from receiving a payout at Slush's pool.

I'm leaving the miners up until I see if that comes through or not.

EDIT: And just after posting this the website is back up.  The work of my miners was recorded during the website outage, and two blocks were found since the time of the last successful refresh.
presha

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:37:38 PM

I hope btcmine or any other pool wont be next
someone is really pissed ... or just bored.

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 11:38:59 PM

perhaps a well equipped hacker or dos kiddie got sick of seeing bitcoin being monopolized.

It does not bother me one bit. my 1 g/hash + is happy over at btcmine.com
yunk3r

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:39:45 PM

I hope btcmine or any other pool wont be next
someone is really pissed ... or just bored.

ya cause bidding pond is also down. maybe there were hoping to decrease the difficulty at least for a while
presha

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 11:46:53 PM

perhaps a well equipped hacker or dos kiddie got sick of seeing bitcoin being monopolized.

It does not bother me one bit. my 1 g/hash + is happy over at btcmine.com

mine was happy at deepbit, until it got attacked, so.. ;]

I hope pool owners will take some precautions now..
btw. how can one stop a ddos attack? or defend against it?
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 11:58:37 PM

firewalls can be optimized and improved to prevent denial of service attacks, perhaps bitcoind could be improved a bit too to decipher good from bad tcp packets on port 8332
V2-V3

Activity: 227

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:00:38 AM

I see deepbit as down... now mining @ http://bitclockers.com/ up and running
pool.bitclockers.com 8332
FireFox31

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 12:16:13 AM

It's a clever idea to DDOS the major pools in order to decrease difficulty.  However, is that sustainable?  A DDOS would have to continue for a day or more in order to impact difficulty, I'm guessing.  Can anyone provide some math to show how difficulty would be impacted by 50% of the miners were offline for 1 hour, 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, etc?

After difficulty decreases, watch to see which major new miner or pool comes online.  Perhaps they were responsible.

I always thought an easier way to manipulate difficulty would be:  Legitimately take yourself offline, let difficulty decrease, then come back online to generate more coins at lower difficulty.  When difficulty raises, take yourself offline again.  An entire mining pool could do this.  Again, math would be needed to reveal the profitability of such a move.  Mining time lost while offline during high difficulty could be made up by increased profits while online during low difficulty?
gerex

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:28:19 AM

It's a clever idea to DDOS the major pools in order to decrease difficulty.  However, is that sustainable?  A DDOS would have to continue for a day or more in order to impact difficulty, I'm guessing.  Can anyone provide some math to show how difficulty would be impacted by 50% of the miners were offline for 1 hour, 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, etc?

That should not be a problem. Often, botnets are used to facilitate DDoS attacks. Since the infected computers are most likely spread all around the world, there will always be enough of them online to continue the attack.

After difficulty decreases, watch to see which major new miner or pool comes online.  Perhaps they were responsible.

Well, that would be too obvious. I don't think anyone would be this stupid, but I have underestimated people's stupidity before...

I always thought an easier way to manipulate difficulty would be:  Legitimately take yourself offline, let difficulty decrease, then come back online to generate more coins at lower difficulty.  When difficulty raises, take yourself offline again.  An entire mining pool could do this.  Again, math would be needed to reveal the profitability of such a move.  Mining time lost while offline during high difficulty could be made up by increased profits while online during low difficulty?

But why would you take yourself offline? Even if the increased profits during low-difficulty phases would make up for the profits lost while being offline, it would be more profitable to take out another pool. If another pool goes down, you still benefit from decreased difficulty, but you do not have to stop mining.
And since you can buy access to botnets, there just has to be somebody who is convinced that the additional bitcoins he creates will be worth more than the dollars he paid for the botnet. Or maybe he even paid for the botnet in bitcoins...

Anyway, I will check on deepbit tomorrow. Had my laptop mining for them and was less than 0.011 bitcoins away from payout Sad
KnuttyD

Activity: 109
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:32:38 AM

I am happily mining @ Bitcoins.lc  Grin

If this leads to difficulty decrees, then AWESOME!

If I helped you in some way, and you feel obligated to do so, you can tip me some coin!
1KVadqbELY3KuJhkm9rDtcwxZknhRsfPHY
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: