Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:16:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 376 918 Btc down to $1  (Read 3657 times)
Killerpotleaf

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 07:50:15 PM

Time and again I'm reading people thinking MtGox-USD is the only market, and assuming there is no liquidity outside of the orderbook.

Getting tedious already.

I bet it does. And it will remain that way until there is a plausible scenario to think otherwise.

MtGox-USD is a huge market
but their are many other markets
MtGox-USD is seeing more and more volume
and so are all the other markets

like how many bitcoin would it take to push it all the way to 1$ on the Canadian market... a lot at 1$ bitcoin everyone I know wants to buy  Tongue

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 07:51:59 PM

Time and again I'm reading people thinking MtGox-USD is the only market, and assuming there is no liquidity outside of the orderbook.

Getting tedious already.

I bet it does. And it will remain that way until there is a plausible scenario to think otherwise.

+ lots of bots don't place stuff in the orderbook until they have resolved to operate. Lots of people also keep balance outside of the orderbook and wait.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Bjork

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:21:39 PM

That would be a quick way to lose a couple million

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 08:43:20 PM

Last time I checked I get a better deal sending Euros to Mtgox and letting them charge me a conversion fee to USD than dealing on the BTC/EUR market. Until that is settled I'd think of BTC/USD as roughly equivalent to the whole market.

Back on topic: Yeah somebody dumping that a shitload of coins is simply out of the question.
It might be possible to have a major dump down the road if we get into a prolonged downtrend like last year, but I wouldn't bet on it.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 09:53:37 PM

Getting tedious already.

like how many bitcoin would it take to push it all the way to 1$ on the Canadian market... a lot at 1$ bitcoin everyone I know wants to buy  Tongue

gox is the leading market, the others follow. Trying to do anything but arbitrage and normal buying and selling on other markets is futile. The other markets exist because they deliver niche or localized features, but gox is the market that determines the price.

+1 on the orderbook not telling the true story, however.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 09:55:28 PM

With the sheer amount of people waiting for just such this situation do you really think people will have time to panic sell?

The price will drop and bounce back faster than you can click the buy button. Grin

Just like it did last year with the drop from 31 to 2. It went back up in no time.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:41:48 PM

Getting tedious already.

gox is the leading market, the others follow. Trying to do anything but arbitrage and normal buying and selling on other markets is futile. The other markets exist because they deliver niche or localized features, but gox is the market that determines the price.

Intersango-GBP is often better than MtGox-GBP. Sometimes MtGox USD is better even with the conversion rate but not always.

The truth is that MtGox-USD accounts for less than 50% of the whole market.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:18:12 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2012, 08:49:24 AM by molecular

Getting tedious already.

like how many bitcoin would it take to push it all the way to 1$ on the Canadian market... a lot at 1$ bitcoin everyone I know wants to buy  Tongue

Intersango-GBP is often better than MtGox-GBP. Sometimes MtGox USD is better even with the conversion rate but not always.

I think maybe part of the USD market on gox is "cross-posted" to the other currency markets?

I overlayed the 2 orderbooks (EUR, USD). Look how similar the ask-side is comparing USD and EUR markets:

That can't be a coincidence.

EDIT: magicaltux just cleared this up:

Quote from: #mtgox
<molecular> are the different currency markets on mtGox really _one_ market? In the sense that orders are being "cross-posted"?
<MagicalTux> molecular: orders are cross posted with an extra 2.5%
<MagicalTux> it's automatic and without delay

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:18:52 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2012, 11:36:07 AM by muyuu

I think maybe part of the USD market on gox is "cross-posted" to the other currency markets?

I overlayed the 2 orderbooks (EUR, USD). Look how similar the ask-side is comparing USD and EUR markets:

That can't be a coincidence.

EDIT: magicaltux just cleared this up:

Quote from: #mtgox
<molecular> are the different currency markets on mtGox really _one_ market? In the sense that orders are being "cross-posted"?
<MagicalTux> molecular: orders are cross posted with an extra 2.5%
<MagicalTux> it's automatic and without delay

Sure they do. However volume is not calculated by looking at the order book, but at the traded volume. The extra 2.5% (any %) means order are matched preferably in the same market and then in a different one only if arbitrage is possible. This happens anyway between MtGox and other exchanges thanks to arbitrage bots. Which guarantees that the proportion of traded volumes almost perfectly matches the proportions of liquidity in every different market.

The most share MtGox ever had is what they advertise in their site (around 80% in the peak of the bubble last year, July 2011). Since then they've lost share and now they are somewhere around 40%-60%.

The whole point being that there are no less than 600-700K BTC until 1$, maybe a lot more, and the only way you can create a drop below that is by inducing panic sales and thus the collaboration of a significant number of players.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: