Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:37:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fastest and cheapest method to withdraw GBP to UK from MtGox IBAN or SWIFT/BIC??  (Read 6202 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 06:28:27 PM

With Intersango UK bank account being closed I need a new GBP withdrawal method for funds to my UK bank account.  Using the MtGox withdrawal wizard it offers me to either enter my IBAN or SWIFT/BIC code.  I have both IBAN and BIC codes which method is the cheapest and fastest and how much does it cost.  HSBC tell me to use both IBAN and BIC codes together - http://www.business.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/international-business/iban-bic - but MtGox offers me the option to enter one or the other.  Also MtGox have a UK Barclay account why can't they process UK GBP withdrawals with that.  Thanks for any advice in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 01:00:06 AM

With Intersango UK bank account being closed I need a new GBP withdrawal method for funds to my UK bank account. 

To clarify that, the announcement describes the Metro account being discontinued at the end of the month:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63877.msg1122824#msg1122824

Have you any experience with this exchange?

- http://londonbitcoinexchange.wordpress.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 01:25:54 AM

With Intersango UK bank account being closed I need a new GBP withdrawal method for funds to my UK bank account.  Using the MtGox withdrawal wizard it offers me to either enter my IBAN or SWIFT/BIC code.  I have both IBAN and BIC codes which method is the cheapest and fastest and how much does it cost.  HSBC tell me to use both IBAN and BIC codes together - http://www.business.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/international-business/iban-bic - but MtGox offers me the option to enter one or the other.  Also MtGox have a UK Barclay account why can't they process UK GBP withdrawals with that.  Thanks for any advice in advance.

I would imagine they are using IBAN as a way to avoid what's happening with Intersango? Could be wrong though.
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 01:51:35 AM

MtGox will send you an international wire transfer from Japan.

Intersango is currently as far as I know the only exchange which will send a domestic UK transfer.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 08:09:10 AM

MtGox will send you an international wire transfer from Japan.

Intersango is currently as far as I know the only exchange which will send a domestic UK transfer.

Yeah but isn't Intersango UK bank account being closed?

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 02:23:54 PM

Wow, LondonBitcoinExchange sure is expensive. Surely there's something cheaper? I guess Gox is the only option for the UK now and that means both expense and lack of anonimity for the paranoid.

There is bitstamp but it involves upto $60 transfer fee...

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:03:40 AM

This is strange. I can do SEPA transfers with Intersango to Germany, and I sent and accepted SEPA transfer even inside Germany, so I can't see why Intersango should be able to switch from a domestic wire to a UK to UK SEPA, it is at least possible. Hm, how much do you need to transfer and do you need to transfer money often, I might open a polish GBP-Account next monday, which I could offer as a pass through.
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 10:37:34 AM

You can use a forex service to do SWIFT transfers for ~£7, losing a little bit more on the exchange rate, but only a little.

Some UK banks might offer SEPA but I don't want to open a new account just for that.

Which exchanges have automation/API but don't require ID for bitcoin withdrawals?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
phantomcircuit

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:01:15 PM

This is strange. I can do SEPA transfers with Intersango to Germany, and I sent and accepted SEPA transfer even inside Germany, so I can't see why Intersango should be able to switch from a domestic wire to a UK to UK SEPA, it is at least possible. Hm, how much do you need to transfer and do you need to transfer money often, I might open a polish GBP-Account next monday, which I could offer as a pass through.

It's much more expensive to do SEPA transfers to/from the UK.  The typical charge is 17 GBP to send/receive a EUR transfers (both domestic and internationally).

On top of that there is a conversion from EUR-> GBP with a typical spread of 3%.

So in the end you can be talking 17GBP + 3% in bank fees alone.

Domestic UK bank transfers by contrast cost anything from free to 1GBP (the highest I've yet to see).
Seal
Donator

Activity: 849
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 02:16:24 PM

Have you considered buying bitcoins on intersango and then transferring them to gox and withdrawing them there? You might lose out a little on the exchange pricing but it'll be a lot less painful then the long wait for intersango to fix their banking issues.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
phantomcircuit

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:51:10 AM

Have you considered buying bitcoins on intersango and then transferring them to gox and withdrawing them there? You might lose out a little on the exchange pricing but it'll be a lot less painful then the long wait for intersango to fix their banking issues.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Bitcoin transfers will continue to work just as rapidly as they always have been.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 849
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 11:28:26 PM

That makes absolutely no sense.

Bitcoin transfers will continue to work just as rapidly as they always have been.

My bad, I missed a step. I meant, buying coins on Intersango, transferring the coins to Gox, selling the coins on Gox, withdrawing GBP from Gox.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:36:36 PM

www.bitstamp.net But use their International wire transfer option as using the SEPA option will make you go from USD > EUR > GBP and you loose a fair chunk from the currency conversions (this would be ok for small amounts and it is very fast).

MTGOX will only allow you to withdraw GBP via International wire transfer and according to their support guys takes 7 working days to complete.

phantomcircuit

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 05:16:01 PM

www.bitstamp.net But use their International wire transfer option as using the SEPA option will make you go from USD > EUR > GBP and you loose a fair chunk from the currency conversions (this would be ok for small amounts and it is very fast).

MTGOX will only allow you to withdraw GBP via International wire transfer and according to their support guys takes 7 working days to complete.

You can do the same thing at Intersango without the USD -> EUR conversion.
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 05:37:43 PM

You can do the same thing at Intersango without the USD -> EUR conversion.

hey phantom, when are you guys going to go into liquidation for bitcoinica? the BFRI are waiting.
phantomcircuit

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 05:44:18 PM

hey phantom, when are you guys going to go into liquidation for bitcoinica? the BFRI are waiting.

When there is news of what is happening/will happen it will be posted to bitcoinica.com
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 05:54:38 PM

When there is news of what is happening/will happen it will be posted to bitcoinica.com

you and I both know thats bullshit.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1055

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 01:22:58 AM

phantomcircuit,

How about you stop goofing around on the forum and threatening me over IRC and pay me back the ~23,000 BTC you owe me.
They are currently worth over $250,000 and you have owed them to me for months.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: