Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:28:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Variance | Here is your forum email notification  (Read 1091 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 01:39:27 AM

As many of you know, 10k started as a chain we could use to experiment new mechanics. It worked great, and not only did we use what we learned in BALLS, but we then merged the two into a more serious project, GorillaTeeth. Now we are at a crossroads. With GorillaBucks ready to start moving when GorillaEx comes back, we have a fresh chain that already has interest in it, but no place to test new ideas.. until now

This brings us to Variance. If this staking system works well, the plan is to bring it over to GorillaBucks. The only difference is that we will leave mining active on this one until Block 8 million. This coin is merge minable with BTC and we will work with pools to get this set up later on

The way stake rewards are calculated are dramatically different in Variance. For this reason, we need to ensure the network gets to block 100,000 as quickly as possible for system scaling tests. The most efficient way to achieve this is to keep difficulty low for the first 100,000 blocks. Everyone will have a fair shot at the initial rush, but I would very highly suggest against renting rigs. Mining pools will most likely not be able to keep up with the rush of blocks being found prior to block 100,000. After 100k, it will start moving to more manageable, long term levels. Variance also comes out of the box ready to be merge mined with Bitcoin, PPC, and any other SHA coins that are set up to be auxiliary chains. With Proof of Work active until Block 8 million, this will be a feature I actively pursue making use of

Stake rewards change quite a bit in this one, which bring us to the entire point. We need to test this system to ensure it won't break prior to implementing it into GorillaBucks. Coinage is scaled so the rich won't become richer at such a ridiculous, compounding pace. Large and small deposits will be scaled to generate from nearly the same sliding range

This is not being premined or instamined by myself or anyone else. Why am I posting it in this thread and not in its own? Because you guys are the only ones I care about on these forums. Please remember this is testing a totally different way to do rewards, so things might break. The goal of this coin is not to shill, market, or try to get it traded anywhere. If that happens, cool, but if not, that's fine

TL;DR - It is imperative to remember that Variance is essentially a standalone GorillaBucks test chain. If you rent rigs for this launch, you will just be pissed off that no pools can keep up

Coin Specs
  • SHA 256/Merged Ok
  • Four Minute Blocks
  • 1 VARY per PoW Block
  • 1 Hour Deposit -> Stake Eligible
  • 8 Hours Mine/Mint -> Full Confirm
  • No Yearly Stake Rate
  • Scaling Stake Rewards
    • Small rewards scaled up
    • Large rewards scaled down

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 01:39:39 AM

Just putting up a separate topic so everyone gets their email notifications. All further discussion will be held in our usual thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1059159.msg11397090#msg11397090

iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 06:10:49 AM

LAUNCHED

Variance Binaries for Windows - Mac soon (sorry, it's coming)

Coin Specs
  • SHA 256/Merged Ok
  • Four Minute Blocks
  • 1 VARY per PoW Block
  • 1 Hour Deposit -> Stake Eligible
  • 8 Hours Mine/Mint -> Full Confirm
  • No Yearly Stake Rate
  • Scaling Stake Rewards
    • Small rewards scaled up
    • Large rewards scaled down

For more information about Variance, please refer to the first post of this thread
Highly recommend not renting rigs for this launch; results will be disappointing

All further discussion will be held in our usual thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1059159.msg11397090#msg11397090

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: