Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:24:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RollProxy - a bandwidth-saving mining proxy  (Read 14358 times)
macavity

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 11:16:59 AM

Unfortunately that doesn't help. What is needed is a way for RollProxy to connect to the Internet through a SOCKS4/5 proxy, not a way for the miners to connect to RollProxy through an additional local proxy.

Use socat.

for mining through tor,

socat tcp-listen:18332,fork,reuseaddr socks4a:127.0.0.1:pool.com:8332,socksport=9050
But that would still leak DNS requests, wouldn't it? That has always been the issue with tools like socat or tsocks.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:24:24 PM

Unfortunately that doesn't help. What is needed is a way for RollProxy to connect to the Internet through a SOCKS4/5 proxy, not a way for the miners to connect to RollProxy through an additional local proxy.

Use socat.

for mining through tor,

socat tcp-listen:18332,fork,reuseaddr socks4a:127.0.0.1:pool.com:8332,socksport=9050
But that would still leak DNS requests, wouldn't it? That has always been the issue with tools like socat or tsocks.

Your miner connects to 127.0.0.1 - no dns there
if you use the socks4a option on socat, it does the dns lookup for the pool through the proxy.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:30:49 PM

As I understand, this helps for situation where miner don't support ntime rolling and pool does, right? What miners don't support ntime rolling yet?

I lived in the opinion that ntime rolling is widely supported everywhere. Then I found that some big pools still don't support such simple and important extension, like Deepbit or even 50BTC. But as I understand, this proxy don't help in such situation - pool have to support ntime rolling itself.

Maybe the best thing is just to switch to miner and pool which supports ntime rolling, or even give a try to Stratum which implements mining protocol in quite innovative way (yes, this is kind of advertisement for my pool and BtcGuild Smiley.

macavity

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:46:13 PM

Use socat.

for mining through tor,

Your miner connects to 127.0.0.1 - no dns there
if you use the socks4a option on socat, it does the dns lookup for the pool through the proxy.
Hey, that's nifty! Thanks for the tip!

As I understand, this helps for situation where miner don't support ntime rolling and pool does, right? What miners don't support ntime rolling yet?

I lived in the opinion that ntime rolling is widely supported everywhere. Then I found that some big pools still don't support such simple and important extension, like Deepbit or even 50BTC. But as I understand, this proxy don't help in such situation - pool have to support ntime rolling itself.

Maybe the best thing is just to switch to miner and pool which supports ntime rolling, or even give a try to Stratum which implements mining protocol in quite innovative way (yes, this is kind of advertisement for my pool and BtcGuild Smiley.
The way I understand it, a miner can only do rolling within itself. If you have several miners on different machines, this proxy will help a lot. But please correct me if this is nonsense!

Besides, even without this feature, mining proxies are great tools to have if you use many machines. It makes monitoring, maintenance, setup of new machines or changing the pool and propagating that change to all clients so much easier.

I especially like Rollproxy because it's so small and efficient. I've used another proxy before, but it required apache, php, mysql, regular database cleanups, and while it worked well, it was a bit cumbersome to use.
pooler (OP)

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:14:03 PM

As I understand, this helps for situation where miner don't support ntime rolling and pool does, right? [...]
The way I understand it, a miner can only do rolling within itself. If you have several miners on different machines, this proxy will help a lot. But please correct me if this is nonsense!

Yes, macavity is right, that's the true raison d'être of this program, and why it was developed.
RollProxy allows multiple miners to reuse the same work unit. And this can bring huge bandwidth savings.

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 07:19:12 PM

pooler, looks like you're concerned about mining efficiency. Maybe you would be interested in supporting Stratum in your proxy as well? Smiley

pooler (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 06:21:46 PM

pooler, looks like you're concerned about mining efficiency. Maybe you would be interested in supporting Stratum in your proxy as well? Smiley

I'm really busy with other stuff in this period, so no, or at least not any time soon.

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
Pontius

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 10:59:24 AM

Just for the fun - cascading the proxies (miner -> rollproxy -> stratum-proxy -> pool) works.
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 11:06:06 AM

Just for the fun - cascading the proxies (miner -> rollproxy -> stratum-proxy -> pool) works.

Yes, it's quite expected, because stratum proxy provides full getwork API, including long polling and ntime rolling.

Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 01:17:01 PM

Getting this endlessly:

however the proxy still seems to be redirecting shares perfectly, it just has high CPU usage now...
Any ideas?
JakeTri

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:18:56 PM

Do you plan to add support for ntime rolling to the miners ? I'm asking because my config is a little odd and I have to cascade 2 rollproxy and I notice that second one does not see any support for ntime rolling from the first proxy.

Do you plan to support the new getblocktemplate protocol in the proxy ?

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
pooler (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:14:44 PM

Do you plan to add support for ntime rolling to the miners ? I'm asking because my config is a little odd and I have to cascade 2 rollproxy and I notice that second one does not see any support for ntime rolling from the first proxy.
If miners were allowed to do ntime rolling themselves, they could end up working on the exact same work unit, so it's not a good idea. Maybe it is possible to allow for little variations using a very low "expire" parameter, assuming of course that miners interpret that correctly, but honestly I can't see why you need the miners to roll the work themselves when they can just ask the proxy to do it.

Do you plan to support the new getblocktemplate protocol in the proxy ?
Support for additional protocols is not planned at this time. I have very limited time to dedicate to this project, so right now I can only fix bugs and maybe add a few minor features.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:21:02 AM

This is pretty slick.  Thanks!!

For those windows users out there like me:

I couldn't get ez_setup to install urllib.  It complained about a config file be missing.
So instead of I copied the urllib3 folder into my python\lib folder, and voila, it works.

For those that aren't used to the somewhat odd URL format this uses (I've seen it elsewhere, only reason I could figure it out), it's:

http://username:password@server:port

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:06:59 PM

Getting this endlessly:
<trimmed>

however the proxy still seems to be redirecting shares perfectly, it just has high CPU usage now...
Any ideas?

I have the same issue (although the error message in rollproxy varies a bit).  Whenever rollproxy has a connection issue between itself and a pool, CPU usage goes crazy (it's stuck in a loop, I'd imagine).  With enough rigs running against it, rollproxy can no longer keep up with providing work while this is happening.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:08:31 PM

Getting this endlessly:
<trimmed>

Any ideas?

I have the same issue (although the error message in rollproxy varies a bit).  Whenever rollproxy has a connection issue between itself and a pool, CPU usage goes crazy (it's stuck in a loop, I'd imagine).  With enough rigs running against it, rollproxy can no longer keep up with providing work while this is happening.
Yeah, I had to stop using it on my server, It was taking up half my CPU time on just 7Gh/s  Cheesy
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:50:47 AM

What's this "cannot decode byte"-message? Happens everytime I try to access rollproxy with a browser... the webinterface is not displayed.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
pooler (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 10:18:31 AM

Whenever rollproxy has a connection issue between itself and a pool, CPU usage goes crazy (it's stuck in a loop, I'd imagine).  With enough rigs running against it, rollproxy can no longer keep up with providing work while this is happening.
I have added a 1-second pause between retries as a quick-and-dirty fix for this issue.

What's this "cannot decode byte"-message? Happens everytime I try to access rollproxy with a browser... the webinterface is not displayed.
After exchanging a few private messages with ShadesOfMarble, this turned out to be a OS-and-locale-dependent issue; it should be fixed now.

Version 0.5.2 should also support miners that (like Phoenix) issue long polling requests using the GET method.

ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:05:15 PM

Thanks again!

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
Pontius

Activity: 225

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 01:56:50 PM

Rolled back to v0.5.1. On pool errors v0.5.2 started rotating over all configured pools in a endless loop...
pooler (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2012, 04:32:49 PM by pooler

Rolled back to v0.5.1. On pool errors v0.5.2 started rotating over all configured pools in a endless loop...

I just had a look at the 0.5.2 commit. All I did is adding a 1-second pause between retries; I don't think I've changed anything else in the failover mechanism.
So I'd say if the problem you describe exists in 0.5.2 it should also exist in 0.5.1.
Can you please send me some logs if the issue shows up again?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: