Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:57:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Pools stickied?  (Read 3217 times)
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 11:30:43 AM

I'm not sure who removed the stickies. It's better if someone would PM the local moderators(DiabloD3, gmaxwell, MiningBuddy), and ask why. I could sticky a post containing the Top Ten Pools though.

If he's willing to do it, I'd love to see a pool sticky thread managed by organofcorti, since he is already preparing charts for the top pools on a weekly basis.  The first post could be a basic listing of pools with only the minor details (Fee + Payment Method(s)), sorted by speed, or alphabetically with clickable links to their threads, and the second post updated for the current week speed charts?
seconded Smiley

I'd be happy to do this - it's not much extra work, and I like eleuthria's idea of having clickable links. Any other ideas about how best to present the information in the first post, or what information miners and pool ops would like to have presented there?

I think the a basic listing (Payment Method + Fee) is the "best" way to handle it in a neutral manner.  Every pool has it's own unique flavor, so keeping the list "clean" and making it easy for them to find the main pool posts (which have far more detail) keeps it simple and unbiased.  An explanation of the payment methods (DGM / PPS / PPLNS / Proportional) would be useful for new miners as well.  Not a huge paper like Meni's, but just a brief description of how it works and if its subject to variance or hoppable.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:13:10 PM

I'm not sure who removed the stickies. It's better if someone would PM the local moderators(DiabloD3, gmaxwell, MiningBuddy), and ask why. I could sticky a post containing the Top Ten Pools though.

If he's willing to do it, I'd love to see a pool sticky thread managed by organofcorti, since he is already preparing charts for the top pools on a weekly basis.  The first post could be a basic listing of pools with only the minor details (Fee + Payment Method(s)), sorted by speed, or alphabetically with clickable links to their threads, and the second post updated for the current week speed charts?
seconded Smiley

I'd be happy to do this - it's not much extra work, and I like eleuthria's idea of having clickable links. Any other ideas about how best to present the information in the first post, or what information miners and pool ops would like to have presented there?

I think the a basic listing (Payment Method + Fee) is the "best" way to handle it in a neutral manner.  Every pool has it's own unique flavor, so keeping the list "clean" and making it easy for them to find the main pool posts (which have far more detail) keeps it simple and unbiased.  An explanation of the payment methods (DGM / PPS / PPLNS / Proportional) would be useful for new miners as well.  Not a huge paper like Meni's, but just a brief description of how it works and if its subject to variance or hoppable.
Great! Please PM me the link to the thread once you've completed it (just to prevent me from forgetting this) - I'll sticky it then.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 01:36:42 PM

seconded Smiley

Great! Please PM me the link to the thread once you've completed it (just to prevent me from forgetting this) - I'll sticky it then.

Good oh. I'll get started.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 01:41:57 PM

An explanation of the payment methods (DGM / PPS / PPLNS / Proportional) would be useful for new miners as well.  Not a huge paper like Meni's, but just a brief description of how it works and if its subject to variance or hoppable.
Well there's https://bitcoil.co.il/pool_summary.pdf.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 01:42:54 PM

An explanation of the payment methods (DGM / PPS / PPLNS / Proportional) would be useful for new miners as well.  Not a huge paper like Meni's, but just a brief description of how it works and if its subject to variance or hoppable.
Well there's https://bitcoil.co.il/pool_summary.pdf.

I was going to ask you about that ... Smiley

follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 05:14:12 PM

Yeah, Organofcorti gets my vote as well! 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 02:30:10 PM

And first draft is done: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0

I pm'd John to get it stickied.

Any comments or changes?