Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:52:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How do you classify yourself religiously?
Atheist - 93 (50.5%)
Agnostic - 23 (12.5%)
Buddhist - 4 (2.2%)
Christian - Protestant - 15 (8.2%)
Christian - Roman Catholic - 9 (4.9%)
Christian - Other - 12 (6.5%)
Confucianist - 0 (0%)
Diest - 3 (1.6%)
Hindu - 0 (0%)
Islamic - 2 (1.1%)
Pagan / Newage - 4 (2.2%)
Taoist - 0 (0%)
Other - 16 (8.7%)
Don't know - 3 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Orientation  (Read 16121 times)
nostrum

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:59:00 AM

Lol! If that was a joke, it was awesome :-)

Not intended as a joke. Please enlighten me Smiley

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:06:17 PM

Why do you guys think that the universe was created/had a beginning? Seems like a pretty bold assumption....

why?
Something went very wrong in another Universe, like for example how we detonate a bomb, or break a glass or a supernova explodes. Or maybe it's a natural process outside our Universe, like we have particle collisions, neutron star collapses, galaxy collisions... Should we find out through the tens of thousands of experiments and published scientific papers or trust people that lived 3000 years ago in the desert with only 50 pages of written documents to know the answer?
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 03:49:07 PM

I'm not going to pretend I even understand how scientists begin to justify the beginning of the universe without a creator, I don't have a Phd. What I do know is common sense, the complexity of life that exists today and how it could be generated from dark energy and chaos doesn't make sense to me.

That is awesome. Please read what you wrote again and again. "I don't have a Phd but I know from my non-education than those who have are wrong". That… wow…

That's why I always say that faith is a synonym for stupidity. You are convinced that you are right, no matter what.

ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 03:56:16 PM

Considering its a text that has survived for other 2000 years and has given priceless historical and geological information, why yes, thanks for saying there are some good stuff.

If that 2000 years is important to you, I would recommend you to become a believer in the old Egyptian religion. We have 4000 years old document from them and those are really interesting too.

The entire message of the Bible could be boiled down to "love your neighbor as thyself". Not necessarily such a bad thing.

As I said: a book cannot be entirely false. And love your neighbor is not something true or false, it's merely an opinion. But I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the entire book is the truth because the message you extracted from the book is something you like. (some part of the bible could as well be summarized as "kill your son" but we will not enter in that debate)

I did the experiment several times: give me a random book, give me a random sentence (like "you should eat babies for breakfast"). I will open that random book at a random page and proove you, with some interpretation, that this very same page order you to eat babies for breakfast. Then I will proove the opposite.

Confusion.

Point for me then?

Hey if its not all true, what is the point in believing only a segment of it?

Wonderful! We finally agree. Exactly. What is the point of believing only a segment of it? Well, I don't believe anything, I use my judgement You consider that it is too hard so you choose to consider that the whole book is the truth.

foxcartier

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:49:48 PM

If that 2000 years is important to you, I would recommend you to become a believer in the old Egyptian religion. We have 4000 years old document from them and those are really interesting too.

Those are rather interesting, Ra was a cool dude.

As I said: a book cannot be entirely false. And love your neighbor is not something true or false, it's merely an opinion. But I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the entire book is the truth because the message you extracted from the book is something you like. (some part of the bible could as well be summarized as "kill your son" but we will not enter in that debate)

Well I focus on the New Testament, and the message of love and salvation is something that intrigues me. I choose to follow it because I like it. I don't come to the conclusion that it's the truth through that, but through the conclusion that it can't hurt my life if I live by such a code.

Point for me then?

In the book "Isaac Asimouv's Book of Facts" I choose, Killer robots will harvest humans for electricity. I couldn't make an argument. I then picked Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead with pink ponies will graze in the meadow. All that happened was I read a spoiler and am now upset.

That is awesome. Please read what you wrote again and again. "I don't have a Phd but I know from my non-education than those who have are wrong". That… wow…
That's why I always say that faith is a synonym for stupidity. You are convinced that you are right, no matter what.

Attacking people personally in religious debates is always cool. Why you mad bro?

Wonderful! We finally agree. Exactly. What is the point of believing only a segment of it? Well, I don't believe anything, I use my judgement You consider that it is too hard so you choose to consider that the whole book is the truth.

Nah BRA, I use my judgement to come to a different conclusion then you.
nostrum

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:39:51 PM

Well I focus on the New Testament, and the message of love and salvation is something that intrigues me. I choose to follow it because I like it. I don't come to the conclusion that it's the truth through that, but through the conclusion that it can't hurt my life if I live by such a code.

Isnt that just being very selective? You only focus on the good things that appear in half the book, ignoring all the other bad and bizarre things. Why not just rewrite the thing then?

Anonymous

June 10, 2011, 10:11:02 PM

This whole thread:

nostrum

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:45:07 PM

By that image, do you mean awsome? Cheesy

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:20:19 PM

By that image, do you mean awsome? Cheesy

I believe the phrase is "rainbows and unicorns"

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:29:15 PM

Lol! If that was a joke, it was awesome :-)

Not intended as a joke. Please enlighten me Smiley

And I've found that oftentimes the definition of "god" used is so logically incoherent that it would be wrong to say I don't believe in it, as that would imply an actual concept to negate.
He's saying that he doesn't believe X and he doesn't believe NOT X. Because it makes no sense.

Like if someone asks you: Do you like poiqjwdi? yes or no?

well you can't really answer yes or no because that lends legitimacy to "poiqjwdi".

So you are somewhere in between atheist and pantheist?

and then you basically ask "so you don't like poiqjwdi??"

I thought you were being a smart ass...

nostrum

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:42:03 PM

@Atlas

Why do you think it is all about you? Are you a one man society?
I clearly cannot have a constructive debate in this thread with someone so emotionally involved.

What is necessary is completely relative to who you are dealing with. And even tho you want everyone to decide individually there are also a lot of people that consider them selves a part of the public.
When you have a group of individuals they are referred to as public, and being able to decide something by yourself does not exclude you from that term.

You may continue to use all the logical fallacies you want, but that is not a discussion I could bother to being a part of.

Why would I be offended? I guess tired would be more appropriate Tongue

@asdf

Ah I see Smiley If only I was that witty  Embarrassed

Anonymous

June 10, 2011, 11:51:11 PM

Why do you think it is all about you? Are you a one man society?
An organism's only duty is to sustain itself. When this is up for compromise, life as a whole begins to decay.
nostrum

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:09:30 AM

And a lot of the time it sustains itself by aiding others. Even most organisms are dependent on the symbiotic relationships of other organisms.

Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 12:11:21 AM

And a lot of the time it sustains itself by aiding others. Even most organisms are dependent on the symbiotic relationships of other organisms.
Yet they are not forced to by the end of a gun.

Otherwise, it's parasitism.
nostrum

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 01:01:50 AM

Nor do they have a duty. They are following their experience. Decay has always been a part of life and nature, and so has the opposite.

Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 01:30:52 AM

Nor do they have a duty. They are following their experience. Decay has always been a part of life and nature, and so has the opposite.

And my experience tells me to destroy the parasites through any means available.
foxcartier

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 01:52:35 AM

Isnt that just being very selective? You only focus on the good things that appear in half the book, ignoring all the other bad and bizarre things. Why not just rewrite the thing then?

Examples please. Please don't be like "leviticus says kill all homosexuals LOLOLOL". As a Christian Jesus fulfilled the law for us so we are no longer bound by such craziness, all we gotta do is love every human in such a way that Jesus showed.
alexandre

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 01:53:16 AM

I don't identify with any of these. I practice a religion called Thelema.

http://www.choosethelema.com
nostrum

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:34:45 PM

Examples please. Please don't be like "leviticus says kill all homosexuals LOLOLOL". As a Christian Jesus fulfilled the law for us so we are no longer bound by such craziness, all we gotta do is love every human in such a way that Jesus showed.

Matthew 5:

The Fulfillment of the Law

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 10:

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
   a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
   36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

2 Thessalonians 1:

5 All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. 6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might 10 on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

1 Timothy 1:
8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

1 Timothy 5:
3 Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. 4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. 5 The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. 6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. 7 Give the people these instructions, so that no one may be open to blame. 8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

11 As for younger widows, do not put them on such a list. For when their sensual desires overcome their dedication to Christ, they want to marry. 12 Thus they bring judgment on themselves, because they have broken their first pledge. 13 Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also busybodies who talk nonsense, saying things they ought not to. 14 So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander. 15 Some have in fact already turned away to follow Satan.

1 Timothy 6:
False Teachers and the Love of Money

These are the things you are to teach and insist on. 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

20 Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith.

Basiley

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:50:47 PM

"unlisted"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: