Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:19:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How do you classify yourself religiously?
Atheist - 93 (50.5%)
Agnostic - 23 (12.5%)
Buddhist - 4 (2.2%)
Christian - Protestant - 15 (8.2%)
Christian - Roman Catholic - 9 (4.9%)
Christian - Other - 12 (6.5%)
Confucianist - 0 (0%)
Diest - 3 (1.6%)
Hindu - 0 (0%)
Islamic - 2 (1.1%)
Pagan / Newage - 4 (2.2%)
Taoist - 0 (0%)
Other - 16 (8.7%)
Don't know - 3 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Orientation  (Read 16121 times)
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:55:48 AM

If you say you are an agnostic, you say you don't know. If you don't know it, you don't believe it. If you don't believe it, you don't believe it. So you're an atheist. Have the balls to say so!

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:09:30 PM

BTW, I fail to see a major difference between most Atheists and Agnostics. I opted for Agnostic since I can't prove there is no God that stays hidden from me or outside this universe's scope... but I guess most Atheists would agree on that, so distinguishing between Agnostics like me and Atheists feels like some academic game.

Agnostics are wishy washy. They do not know what they believe or are afraid to admit it. Atheists are willing to take Pascals wager and stand firm with reason or laugh at its absurdity. As I once wrote on a 'social/bootie' site, trying to appeal to 'spiritual types' (aka women):

I do not doubt powers in the universe beyond human comprehension. I actively seek states beyond the every day. I appreciate, enjoy discussing, and engaging with the world's various cultures, religions, mythologies, traditions, and believes. But let me be clear. I am not agnostic. I do not believe in a sentient, judgmental theos separate from myself, nor do I believe such beliefs in a theos have a benefit to society that could not be better served by modern evolving mythologies, and I hope for humanity that we find a balanced, loving, all encompassing world view.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
netrin

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:33:25 PM

Do you have any good anti-atheist books you want to recommend?

The best book I've read on the subject was given to me by a bi-polar friend of mine. I respect her opinion because she has actually experienced 'god' first hand and can not deny the experience, even though she is able to rationally discuss her condition, etc (as an example, I accompanied her to report a 'vision' to the arch bishop of the Vatican in Jerusalem).

The Spiritual Brain
A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
By Mario Beauregard, Denyse O'Leary

It starts with the fascinating thesis that "a brain is an organ which connects a mind to the rest of the universe". The research evidence was unconvincing and ultimately the author started to get annoying in his boxing these and those 'types of thinkers'.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
bcearl

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 10:33:46 AM

Do you have any good anti-atheist books you want to recommend?

The best book I've read on the subject was given to me by a bi-polar friend of mine. I respect her opinion because she has actually experienced 'god' first hand and can not deny the experience, even though she is able to rationally discuss her condition, etc (as an example, I accompanied her to report a 'vision' to the arch bishop of the Vatican in Jerusalem).

The Spiritual Brain

It starts with the fascinating thesis that "a brain is an organ which connects a mind to the rest of the universe". The research evidence was unconvincing and ultimately the author started to get annoying in his boxing these and those 'types of thinkers'.

Nobody doubts that the soul exists, the question is what the soul is.

bcearl

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 01:23:05 PM

What if you don't believe in mind body dualism?

It could be something like "the software"?

Is music more than the configuration of sound waves?
Is colors more than the configuration of electromagnetic waves?

Why does the soul have to be more than the configuration of the body/the brain?

"Sì, abbiamo un'anima. Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot"

("Yes, we have a soul, but it’s made of lots of tiny robots.")

bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 03:08:46 PM

I don't think anyone denies that subjective experience exists, but the basic premise of a soul is that it is something separate from the body. Soul is a loaded word that dualists see no problem with and everyone else dislikes
bcearl

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:31:39 PM

I don't think anyone denies that subjective experience exists, but the basic premise of a soul is that it is something separate from the body. Soul is a loaded word that dualists see no problem with and everyone else dislikes

That's not what people mean when they say: "It hurts my soul."

netrin

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:30:16 PM

The Spiritual Brain

Nobody doubts that the soul exists, the question is what the soul is.

I adamantly doubt the existence of a soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

bcearl

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

I adamantly doubt the existence of a soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

I know nothing more selfish than the people who think that they have surpassed their self.

V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:33:30 PM

Can you add : Agnostic Atheist   ?

Cos then I can vote too  Grin

terroh8er

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 05:37:51 PM

I am an atheist. However, if I wanted to pick a religion, I would probably choose Islam. Muslims have shown that they are the most devout of the major religions and have won wars against at least two major superpowers. It just feels right.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 05:43:51 PM

it's all the same thing =/

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
V4Vendettas

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 07:33:39 PM

it's all the same thing =/

Please enlighten me because I really dont get that Sad

Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:50:29 PM

I don't put much stock in religious views on supernatural phenomena, e.g. life after death, because it all seems like speculation and conjecture at best, cynical manipulation at worst. On the other hand, religious beliefs on morality and human nature often draw on the life experiences of many people over hundreds or thousands of years and can contain valuable insights on living a fulfilling and peaceful life. Writing it all off is just as naive as believing every word.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
V4Vendettas

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:25:46 AM

I don't put much stock in religious views on supernatural phenomena, e.g. life after death, because it all seems like speculation and conjecture at best, cynical manipulation at worst. On the other hand, religious beliefs on morality and human nature often draw on the life experiences of many people over hundreds or thousands of years and can contain valuable insights on living a fulfilling and peaceful life. Writing it all off is just as naive as believing every word.

+ 1 sir

Hence me voting ...well not voting but posting a few up.
Immanuel Kant seemed to me to have a good handle on things but I dare not attempt to quote him just in case I mess it up. He might see this thread and be like wtf man..yes I do know he's dead Wink

Might have to dig that book out. Was along the lines of you cant prove god exists and nither can you disprove it so just let peeps get on with it.

Embarrassed   Knew i would end up butching his work.

BenRayfield

Activity: 316

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 02:48:51 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 03:27:40 AM by BenRayfield

51.5% Atheist. Makes sense. Bitcoin is a force toward decentralizing society. The majority of religions think of "god" as higher than yourself, including some of the religions where everyone is some part of "god". Most religious people, at the core of their minds, think things should be organized into hierarchies, which influences society toward hierarchies like governments, banks, department of motor vehicles, server over client, etc. Bitcoin influences society toward the opposite, decentralization, so it makes sense why Atheists would like Bitcoin more than Theists like it.

My religion is closest to buddhism, panpsychism, pantheism, nihilism, and probably a few I forgot, but with the important difference that the multiverse is a decentralized system of patterns in general which interact with eachother. I don't have much choice about what religious ideas to believe since I've moved small things with my mind almost 1000 times (like in this "psi wheel in a clear closed box 2" video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKJGb4RNRB4 ), out of body experiences verified after I came back, and that's just the smaller stuff thats easy to explain. I don't have faith. I know from experience, if I think something in just the right way, it will really happen (force depends on accuracy of thoughts as described by the uncertainty equation applied to the fluid dynamics of parallel realities also known as parts of a wavefunction), and anyone can learn the same skill.

What religion or system of thought is this?  I know someone who has similar ideas but I am trying to form a more cohesive understanding of this line of thought.  Is this related to Deepak Chopra's spiritual quantum entanglement theories?

This 42 lines of poetry, with a 42 character title, which I wrote, summarizes it. Its called "The Hitchhikers Guide To Less Than Nothing".

Hard to simulate,
but easy to amplify,
my experience of consciousness,
is interactions,
of an infinite number of abstractions.
The universe is the set of all permutation,
and combination of abstract information.
I am math. Derive me,
and if I could derive you too,
we would have a strange-loop confusing the future you.
But what of the past,
does it go away?
Calculate again,
and ask it the next day.
What is the function,
with the least cost?
Make an assumption,
and you've already lost.
This sentence is false,
is an easy contradiction,
but its not really lost,
its in quantum superposition.
The simplest form being more probable,
unpredictable things make optimizing unsolvable,
chaos-theory is the key to all that,
find in the wild both of Schrodinger's-cat.
Exactly center your mind,
each thought equally probable,
Schrodinger's-neurons you will find,
calculate whats normally impossible.
A simple musical game,
to organize our minds,
could it harness Schrodinger?,
for our preferred designs?
Would the game continue,
if computers stop gaining speed?
Quantum within you,
all the technology we need.
As hard as I try,
I can not escape the conclusion,
we are infinite A.I.,
calculated by ancient solar nuclear fusion.

About "Deepak Chopra", I've never heard of him, but based on this quote...

According to Business Week, one of Chopra's main messages is that by ridding oneself of negative emotions and developing intuition by listening to signals from the body, health can be improved. According to Chopra, slowing down or reversing the aging of the mind through his methods can increase one's lifespan up to the age of 120 years. As a result of his writings and lectures in this area, he is thought by some to be "one of the pre-eminent leaders of the mind-body-spirit movement".

I agree with it but think that is a side-effect of more important philosophy ideas.

On the more technical side, you can search for "artificial parapsychology" which is something I wrote about a research path to learn how to build a psychic amplifier. I am a metaphysical engineer, and you can see some of my best work in a place called "astral pulse island" (which you can search for to see the picture, as linked below, we designed it to look like and a forum category about it) (specificly the inside of the pyramid and the gold elephant statue which causes the roof to open allowing easier entry from the outside, but the statue was put there by someone else and I just modified it), which is a place outside of space and time (in the "astral", they call it) which many people have been, but it was a group effort and I'm not trying to take all the credit for it. Artificial Parapsychology is another thing a Metaphysical Engineer may do, but metaphysical skill is not needed to start learning how to do it.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_pulse_island-b43.0/

We're all gods, which is something I've learned from experience (see the video linked above, for example), so there's no reason for anyone to worship anyone else or anything.

Quote from: bcearl
Soul is a loaded word that dualists see no problem with and everyone else dislikes

That's not true. I'm not a dualist, because I think there is only 1 kind of thing in the universe that everything is made of (abstraction, math, energy, mass, or whatever you want to call it). "Soul" is an approximate word that refers to some things science hasn't observed much yet, but when science does observe them there will be equations and statistical behaviors, like everything else.

One such equation will be the application of heisenberg uncertainty to states of mind and targets of telekinesis (mind over matter) this way: As the number of possibilities of state of the mind decrease (mind converges on some thought), the object thought about and measured with the eyes will inversely proportionally be moved, so distance_mind_to_centered * change_in_target_object_position will tend to be constant when its done right, and when its not done right there will be no statistical relationship between them. It means, for example, that if you cause your thoughts to depend mostly on some object you're looking at and your thoughts converge from many possibilities to a centered state of mind, you have reduced the number of possible states of the universe in your physical brain, and as a result the number of possible states of the universe must increase somewhere else to balance it, so the number of possible states of the universe remains constant. You can't create or destroy probability, which is a law of quantum physics. This is 1 way to explain how mind over matter (telekinesis) works. I am not a dualist. I think all these things can be explained and they're not incompatible with science.

bcearl

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:56:40 AM

In Austria a Pastafarian finally got his driver's licence picture with a noodle sieve as religious hat.

http://www.vol.at/nudelsieb-als-religioese-kopfbedeckung-in-fuehrerschein-genehmigt/news-20110712-03443869

EDIT:
I googled an English article, but I haven't checked it:
http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/pasta_sieve_religious_head_cover_driver_license-80805

RAmen.

anticolay26

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 09:09:59 AM

I'm atheist, but sometimes pastafarian (flying spaggetti monster)
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:39:55 AM

I am an atheist. However, if I wanted to pick a religion, I would probably choose Islam. Muslims have shown that they are the most devout of the major religions and have won wars against at least two major superpowers. It just feels right.

Well it may be better that you stay an atheists than choose any of these. I'm catholic but I don't agree with all the differences that all these religions are putting us through and I'd rather stay away from all these. I will answer to God in the end with the deeds that I made in this life to other people and not with what religious laws

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 10:35:47 PM

They say politics and religion are the most heated topics. The "Political Orientation" thread was fun, so now it's time for the religion thread!

I apologize if I haven't listed your religion. I based my list of a "most popular religions" piece on Wikipedia.

"Orientation"Huh

Most people are born into religion.  It is not something they choose or prefer.

Not "most. All. That's why atheism, pathetic as it is, is at best a religion.    Cool

EDIT: Wow! Just looked at the poll results so far. Lots of people consider atheism their choice of religion.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: