Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:00:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Discussion threads always getting moved  (Read 828 times)
dissipate (OP)

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:40:07 AM

Has anyone noticed that half the threads in the "Bitcoin Discussion" sub forum have to be moved? I'm not naming names but some of them are from long time posters who are posting threads that obviously don't belong there (e.g. service announcements). What is going on?  Huh  Maybe we need a 'list of shame' for these individuals.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:43:17 AM

Has anyone noticed that half the threads in the "Bitcoin Discussion" sub forum have to be moved? I'm not naming names but some of them are from long time posters who are posting threads that obviously don't belong there (e.g. service announcements). What is going on?  Huh  Maybe we need a 'list of shame' for these individuals.
Yeah, I'm the one moving the other half of them. Feel free to report the posts that you don't feel in place. But we keep 1 of the most important thread on an important topic there (Bitcoin-qt's update, Bitcoinica default thread,...), and move the rest to it's respective subforums.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:01:12 AM

I suspect at least some of the violations are intentional. Bitcoin Discussion gets a lot of traffic, and most people want maximum thread visibility. Even if their thread gets moved, they still have the 'Moved Thread' link in Bitcoin Discussion.

I am not really sure how to combat this. Enforcement and punishment, especially with regard to differentiation between intentional and unintentional violations, would be challenging and time-consuming. 'Moved Thread' links are necessary in order not to confuse people who had previously posted. Immediately, I suppose you could try implementing some sort of 'Category Suggestion' feature in thread creation based on keywords in a thread title, but I have no idea how hard that would be to implement in SMF or how much of an impact it would really have.

Hmm. Interesting conundrum.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 01:26:21 PM

I suspect at least some of the violations are intentional. Bitcoin Discussion gets a lot of traffic, and most people want maximum thread visibility. Even if their thread gets moved, they still have the 'Moved Thread' link in Bitcoin Discussion.

I am not really sure how to combat this. Enforcement and punishment, especially with regard to differentiation between intentional and unintentional violations, would be challenging and time-consuming. 'Moved Thread' links are necessary in order not to confuse people who had previously posted. Immediately, I suppose you could try implementing some sort of 'Category Suggestion' feature in thread creation based on keywords in a thread title, but I have no idea how hard that would be to implement in SMF or how much of an impact it would really have.

Hmm. Interesting conundrum.

I'm starting to clear up my old 'Moved Thread' posts, and I'm making it a point to not post them if the thread's fairly new. The new features are up to theymos, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: