Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:51:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 20065 times)
luthermarcus

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:04:27 AM

I am curious to know. What is the "normal" temp while hashing for this S4+ ? I can't find this information.

See the graph in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1035629. 70-80C is considered normal for S4s, cutoff is 95C.
WOW crazy amounts of heat!

Donate Bitcoin
1Mz7ZHxPhoH1ZK2yQvo62NdHvvsS2quhzc
Donate TRX
TB3WiLEj6iuSBU5tGUKyZkjB4vqrBDvoYM
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luthermarcus

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:13:00 AM

I just bought one to have a look at it and play around, might test that, too. I like the fact that you (normally^^) don't have to mess around with psu's.. For now it looks ok, as Spondoolies seems not to sell at the moment, I will get some more of those S4+  Smiley

Will post another pic when it's a bit higher.

I dont know about that seems some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block. Technically I don't know how that works but they base it of experience. Maybe the reliability or better quality with less defects reason but you could bash this statement all you want with every hash has equal chance but I'm leaving this open ended.

Donate Bitcoin
Donate TRX
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:30:10 AM

I just bought one to have a look at it and play around, might test that, too. I like the fact that you (normally^^) don't have to mess around with psu's.. For now it looks ok, as Spondoolies seems not to sell at the moment, I will get some more of those S4+  Smiley

I dont know about that seems some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block. Technically I don't know how that works but they base it of experience. Maybe the reliability or better quality with less defects reason but you could bash this statement all you want with every hash has equal chance but I'm leaving this open ended.

As long as the hash is the same, the chance is the same.   Brand of machine does not make a difference of finding a block.

This assumes the machine does not have a problem, I guess you could have high latency or bad firmware that could cause it.  But Bitmain and SP gear both don't have firmware that can find blocks.

Can you point to where you read about "some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block"?
luthermarcus

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:33:39 AM

As long as the hash is the same, the chance is the same.   Brand of machine does not make a difference of finding a block.

This assumes the machine does not have a problem, I guess you could have high latency or bad firmware that could cause it.  But Bitmain and SP gear both don't have firmware that can find blocks.

Can you point to where you read about "some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block"?
hearsay among peers but unified with respects to there machines no official results 

Donate Bitcoin
Donate TRX
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:36:05 AM

hearsay among peers but unified with respects to there machines no official results 

Can you point to thread or article?  I just had not heard this and would be interested in reading it.
supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 07:16:19 AM

If you just want some TH, it doesn't matter, but if you want to scale big, Spoondolies is (my personal opinion) way in front.

If you compare a SP35 with a S4+ :

S4+SP35
Hashrate (GH/s)25705500
Power consumption14803650
Height3 U2 U
Price (USD)9462235

so far, so good. This results in...

S4+SP35
GH / USD2.72.4
Watts / GH0.570.66
Units / Rack (42U)1421
Hashrate / Rack35.98 TH/s115.5 TH/s

As you see, if you are looking for a device to generate some Hashrate, go with the S4+, but if you want to scale it big, the SP35 is the better choice. Of course it costs a bit more... Of course there is some more power consumption... But if you scale big, power will be much cheaper... Then it's all about the space you need to generate as much Hashrate as possible.

So, with one Rack I can make (let's say power costs are 5 cents)..:

S4+SP35
Income (USD)27108702
Power Costs (USD)7452759
Profit (USD)19655943

So, a rack is about 1m2. If you are a business man and also have to pay for a room an racks, do you want to make USD 1965 per m2 or do you want to make USD 5943 per m2Wink

The 21 SP35 in a rack will cost 46935, so (if you don't consider other costs) you will need 8 months to pay them... But then, you make the big money...
While the 14 S4+ will pay off after 7 months, but you make less money in a room that is even 3 times as big as the one you need for the SP35.

So as a business man, I would always go with the SP35, unfortunatley you can't get them anymore... So I need to go with the S4+, which is not so bad neither, but the device should be 2 U to make more profitable.

Everyone is screaming for Hashrate/Watts and Hashrate per USD, but you if you want to scale big, these are not the only things to take care of...

BTW: some offtopic... how long does it take to not be a newbie anymore? I already get some pms and can only response every 6 minutes, which is very annoying...

Passion.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 02:33:34 PM

So as a business man, I would always go with the SP35, unfortunatley you can't get them anymore... So I need to go with the S4+, which is not so bad neither, but the device should be 2 U to make more profitable.

Everyone is screaming for Hashrate/Watts and Hashrate per USD, but you if you want to scale big, these are not the only things to take care of...

In your own comparison the S4+ is lower $/GH and W/GH, with your only gripe being you can't put 77Kw in a single rack. In what sort of facility are you going to be limited on foot print before 77KW per rack?

supertee

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 03:03:28 PM

Why not? If you want to put such gear in a datacenter, you wont rent rackspace..

But yes, 77kw is a lot and you might won't fill that rack completely.

Passion.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:58:18 PM

Why not? If you want to put such gear in a datacenter, you wont rent rackspace..

But yes, 77kw is a lot and you might won't fill that rack completely.

It's a awful lot of PDU's in one rackspace.  And a lot of electricity.   A lot of the "asic" data centers are shelves so does not really matter.

I think very few overall are put in traditional data centers. 
supertee

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 05:54:46 AM

I'll fill a rack with s4+ and see how it goes Smiley

Passion.
inversionescrypto

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:12:15 AM

I'll fill a rack with s4+ and see how it goes Smiley
I will do the same as you, we will publish results soon Smiley
scyth3

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:18:43 PM

I have 5x S4+ here and one won't turn on. Will I void the warranty if I open it up? Email already sent to support@bitmaintech.com Thanks
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 08:36:16 PM

I have 5x S4+ here and one won't turn on. Will I void the warranty if I open it up? Email already sent to support@bitmaintech.com Thanks

Not unless you damage something, just be careful and slow.

scyth3

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 09:00:21 PM

You are an official agent of Bitmain and can speak on their behalf? Thanks
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 10:16:24 PM

I can't bind Bitmain, but I'll do my best to help you out should anything go wrong.

scyth3

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 10:23:03 PM

I can't bind Bitmain, but I'll do my best to help you out should anything go wrong.

Opened it up and nothing looks loose or broken inside. Any suggestions?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 10:28:43 PM

Opened it up and nothing looks loose or broken inside. Any suggestions?

If absolutely nothing is happening then its power related. That can be short protection kicked in, undervolt protection (not it) or something else. Have a look about for any small bits of heatsink that may have come off during shipping, and if you can give the case a shake to check for any noise. Then it'd be on to opening up the PSU, but that is NOT something recommended as its dangerous.

scyth3

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 11:21:02 PM

If absolutely nothing is happening then its power related. That can be short protection kicked in, undervolt protection (not it) or something else. Have a look about for any small bits of heatsink that may have come off during shipping, and if you can give the case a shake to check for any noise. Then it'd be on to opening up the PSU, but that is NOT something recommended as its dangerous.

Don't hear or see any loose pieces. All connectors are connected.
Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 03:28:30 PM

What does the multi meter say for power coming out the wall?

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2015, 04:09:40 PM

Contact the Zendesk to arrange a replacement then: bitmain.zendesk.com

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: