Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:22:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] BlockViewer.com - Visualize the Bitcoin Block Chain  (Read 10570 times)
thallium205 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 05:30:51 AM

http://blockviewer.com
I would like to announce the start of a new project that attempts to not only give everyone an interactive way to visualize and interact with the block chain, but to also have an easy and fun way to determine addresses owned by the same person and how that person interacts with others: http://blockviewer.com/#/owns/1HB5XMLmzFVj8ALj6mfBsbifRoD4miY36v

https://i.imgur.com/f2VCG.png

In the above screenshot, the owner in the middle has 43 addresses that are all owned by him:

https://i.imgur.com/CAetK.png

In addition to knowing all linked addresses, a high level network of "owners" has been constructed which can also track payments between other high level owner addresses as well:

https://i.imgur.com/hfOxS.png

Here we can see this owner entity received 183 payments from others, and sent 27 payments to other owners.  Expanding one of the owners out of the folders, it is revealed that he sent 127.37 BTC to another person (who happens to control 5 addresses).

This application exploits the weakness identified in Satoshi's original paper (pg.6 sec. 10) where he stated that "Some linking is still unavoidable with multi-input transactions, which necessarily reveal that their inputs were owned by the same owner.  The risk is that if the owner of a key is revealed, linking could reveal other transactions that belonged to the same owner." This application has constructed this high level owner network on top of the normal block chain, which is also traversable by simply clicking:

http://blockviewer.com/images/low-level.png

If you would like more information on how I did this, check out my use case here: http://toolongdidntread.com/bitcoin/the-bitcoin-social-network-part-1/ (Note: this database does not explicitly identify forum users yet.  I will be enabling that information later on.)

The block chain is a graph, why are we not displaying it as such?  If you would like to your public address against it, simply type in your address in the search box and select "Owner Address".  If all worked well, it will have all the other addresses that have been linked to you through the weakness, and you can see how well it determined where you sent BTC to other people.

KNOWN ISSUES:
There are so many it's tough to even begin.  This is definitely a "Use At Your Own Risk" as it is bound to crash, get turned off, shut down at any time for maintenance, etc.
The queries stop after 5000 nodes have been returned to protect the server.  I hope to implement pagination soon.
The API allows you to download subgraphs in a standardized .gexf data format that can be used by graph visualization tools like Gephi.  This will still stop queries after returning 5000 nodes.
The visualizer and client-side javascript is a mess.  I will be cleaning it up quite a bit.
It's not very user friendly at the moment, nodes are difficult to click on, and the documentation is pretty ugly.  I wanted to get this out anyway so power users could check it out.
At the moment, I am using blockchain.info's API that rate limits me which results in data that is probably like a day old.  If piuk has it in his heart to forgive me for crashing his server, I would love another API key Tongue

Anyway, I built this because its so much easier to track payments using the block chain as a graph instead of pulling up HUGE lists that are on blockchain.info.  The database is colossal, and its only getting bigger. Think of this as more of a sleuthing tool Smiley  I can't wait to hear your comments, suggestions, ideas, and the inevitable troll who says its a scam.  Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:22:27 AM

Very nice! I couldn't get it to load up myself, but I see where you're going with it. I'm sure forensic investigators will one day in the not-so-distant future have an application like this. Indeed you could make a nice profit for yourself producing a product like this for governments/banks already.

more or less retired.
thallium205 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 01:42:52 PM

Hey Crazy Rabbit did you try just typing in your address (from your signature bar) in the search and clicking "Owner Address"?  It seems to work fine with me, I'd be curious why it's not working right for you http://blockviewer.com/#/owns/19JrBV8KekrJwcsyQMmKBS8EXW2hAFGss9:
http://toolongdidntread.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/11.png

As you can see, you have received 72 transfers from other owner addresses, it has been able to link 8 addresses associated with your public one, and if I were to continue clicking on the address nodes be able to pull up how much money each of those has redeemed.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:03:14 PM

At the moment, I am using blockchain.info's API that rate limits me which results in data that is probably like a day old.  If piuk has it in his heart to forgive me for crashing his server, I would love another API key Tongue

Whoops!

Thanks for updating me on this, I appreciate the work that went into this, there may be reason for piuk to run his own API server where we can make requests directly against it. I've never actually been able to figure out how to get the raw data for Bitcoin Days Destroyed, otherwise I'd be using the API a lot more myself.
runlinux

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 02:05:45 PM

wow, this is awesome!

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

Awesome. I do have some coins to follow Cheesy
thallium205 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 02:23:11 PM

Let me know how it goes using it!
runlinux

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 08:55:44 PM

One issue I am having with this is the random dialog box that appears and doesnt go away.

It also gets slow after a while Smiley  lots of addresses. Also, something I would like to see if a way to clump together verified owners / addresses in one grouping to really be able to see what belongs where.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 09:02:31 PM

wtf I dreamed this up last night!  are you spying on my dreams?  lol

so excited to try this service out! Cheesy

edit: tried it, love it!
thallium205 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 05:15:05 AM

One issue I am having with this is the random dialog box that appears and doesnt go away.

It also gets slow after a while Smiley  lots of addresses. Also, something I would like to see if a way to clump together verified owners / addresses in one grouping to really be able to see what belongs where.

Yep I noticed that problem with the dialog box that doesn't go away - I'm addressing that issue along with a laundry list of other ones in two days or so.  The slowness is definitely a result of too many nodes being drawn - not too sure at the moment how to get around that.

I wanted to ask you - what do you mean by clumping together owners?  Right now, owners already represent groups of addresses that all belong to the same entity.  What do you mean exactly?
thallium205 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 06:08:53 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2012, 06:41:46 AM by thallium205

I just wanted to give you all some updates!

New Feature:
 - The application has begun scraping user's signatures from these forums.  If you have a bitcoin address in your signature, your ownership node will be identified.  This means that your single signature address can identify potentially thousands of other addresses owned by you (and addresses that might be redeemed by you in the future).  Look for new lines pointing to owners with forum user names in the next few hours!  As an example, you can see that user cdhowie had over 50 of his addresses provably identified by a single address in his signature:  http://blockviewer.com/#/owns/1CZ8QgBWZSV3nLLqRk2BD3B4qDbpWAEDCZ (After the graph loads, click on the owner node to see the other addresses owned by him, as well as other owners sending to him and who he is sending money to!)  The UI right now may hide the username of lines that identify owners due to grouping - I'll be working on that in the future so you will always be able to see who the owner is if they were identifies to a real world identity.

A few things fixed:
 - The graph has been slowed down quite a bit.  No longer will you be fighting with the nodes bouncing around really fast.
 - Every node now displays its unique id for easy retrieval in the search bar.
 - Thanks to some feedback, the data has been fixed as the ownership network had some duplicate nodes.
 - Fixed an issue where the graph would disappear if no new information was retrieved on click. (Such as clicking on an unredeemed sent transaction).
 - Server performance is now scaled to another machine, meaning the information will only be roughly 15 minutes behind the latest block.
 - Application now displays the last block processed when going to the home page, giving you an idea of where its at.  If there is a block ahead of it, that means the low level chain has been built, but the high level owner network is still being processed.  
 - The on-hover dialog box no longer sticks when sometimes clicking on a node.

In the works:
 - Much more useful statistics will be showing up with owners.  Right now, nothing is really shown other than transfer amounts to other owners.  I am especially interested in getting dates implemented.
 - Nodes will be easier to click soon!  Right now they are still pretty tough.
 - The tables that pop-up are still buggy - that will be fixed.
 - Custom queries.  This is more of a longer term goal, but wanted to keep you all in that loop.
 - Documentation, explanation, and the like needs to be explained better to show the crazy implications of user/money tracking.

I will be inactive the next few days as I attend to some other business, I expect to be back soon with more fixes and at least one new feature!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:12:53 PM

If you have a bitcoin address in your signature, your ownership node will be identified.
My first reaction to this was... WHAT!?!?!?  But then I realized that this was always possible and I am glad you are making this point more understanding.

Keep up the good work.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:58:22 PM

This thing is scary and awesome at the same time.

FYI... it doesn't find all addresses that are in the block chain.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 02:53:38 AM

REALLY cool!

You misspelled "pictures" at the bottom of the FAQ, by the way.

IMHO, data visualization ideas to make it even better would be:
Map color to another variable ('distinct owner' being a logical choice for your sleuthing goal).
Make the size related to BTC balance...thick lines for large transactions, etc.

Very exciting work.

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
tubro

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:31:30 AM

Congratulations! Great job. I had been working on something like this for about a year now, and after taking a break for a few months, there you go just making it true. Would you share some technical info on how you did it? I mean working with these huge data sets isn't trivial ...
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:18:00 PM

FWIW P2SH addresses, such as 3CK4fEwbMP7heJarmU4eqA3sMbVJyEnU3V, don't seem to work.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:07:16 AM

being able to search for users directly would be... interesting
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 11:50:45 AM

This site is throughly confusing at first, but really excellent. Did I send you another API key?

thallium205 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 10:22:04 PM

Yes sir you did, thank you piuk!

Okay, I am planning on completely overhauling the client visualization because it is way too confusing and not useful enough.  The new visualization I am working on will be more like how google maps works - where fully zoomed out you see continents, major countries, etc.  As you zoom in, the map gets more detailed (smaller countries, cities, etc).  This concept will be applied to the visualization - where when fully zoomed out you will see the largest owners - ie: mt gox, satoshi dice, etc.  As you zoom in, you see the smaller owners like the most of us.  You will only be able to search by address, which would be like typing in a zip code into google maps where it will zoom in right to the owner.. but you can see all the nodes around it.

Circle radius will be denoted by the amount of times they have sent and received from other owners (they will also be labelled if they were identified to real-life entities like screen names).  Lines will visualize two 2 dimensions: thickness will be amount sent and color will be how recent it was sent where hotter colors are very recent while cooler colors are old.  

I am currently rebuilding the owner network to include the times when people sent money to other owners, so that will take a couple days to build.  I have also been adding more websites the program scrapes to associate owners to real life screen names.  I need to figure out a good library I can use which can help me display several of these "layers" (the top being the least detailed, the bottom being the most detailed) in an efficient manner and stitch them together.  

The visualization right now isn't updating because my build server has run out of hard disk space again... So at the moment its out of date.  I hope to resolve this soon.

Thanks for your feedback so far!  I know this owner network, when properly visualized, will prove to be a very useful tool to the bitcoin community.
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 10:16:00 PM

Stunning.

There must surely be a lot more than can be done with this.

How can we visualise the data, how was it done? Is there anything else similar to this correlating to geography for example?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: