Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:07:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-04-23] Fusion: Why Bitcoin’s male domination will be its downfall  (Read 2235 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:40:51 PM

Why have the misandrists suddenly turned their attention to the Bitcoin community? I bet you we're going to see them try and swarm the forums with their bullshit soon enough, unfortunately for them I've been ready to pick a fight lately because of the UK elections.

I implore you, all of you, who dislike this "4th wave feminism/SJW" trend NOT to engage with them at all. AT ALL. Do not associate Bitcoin with that debate.

If you provide that debate with oxygen, it will rapidly become warped beyond recognition. If you say nothing, the press will have nothing to report. I say this as someone who shares the concerns of all in this thread. Trolls are one thing, but an organised group of "rules for radicals" types is a whole different ball game.

Vires in numeris
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xephireusMMX

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 09:06:42 PM

I doubt that btc wil be held back once it becomes more accessible to the likes of the candy crush facebook crowd.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 09:28:41 PM

And what does he suggest we do about this exactly? Force women to get involved? It's not men's fault that women aren't getting on board but there are more than you might think but this will change over time but all we can do is keep spreading the word to everyone regardless of gender.

Simple solution. We need to start referring to Satoshi as 'she', but first we'd need to fabricate "solid" evidence that she was a female.

Result: every single news, from tech/business press to color magazines will pick the story up. Feminists will absolutely love it and claim it was the greatest invention in modern history (invented by a woman!) and any Bitcoin critique will be taken as misogynist attack.

That would be logical, but logic isn't the strong suite of the SJW.  EG, they despise Ayn Rand with the fury of a trillion quasars, despite her being a singularly successful self-empowered sex-positive Jewish female immigrant.

If we say Satoshi is female ('The Modern Ada Lovelace!  Joan Clarke 2.0!') they will respond with accusations of self-hatred or other ugliness.

Best strategy is to use their own raging energy against them.  IE, every time they complain about 'sexist Bitcoin' we respond by gleefully pointing out ways in which Bitcoin will undo all the rotten crap the SJW and Feminist Left have imposed on society, such as progressive taxation and prohibition. 

They will respond with alacrity, and in the process say/print/publish the word 'Bitcoin' over and over.  Remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 09:30:38 PM

I think people here on these forums overestimate the importance of technical superiority.  TiVo was way ahead of its time and it failed miserably due to poor marketing.  Social opinion matters.  If you think Bitcoin will/is succeed(ing) just because it's technically superior to fiat, I would challenge you on that.  The primary reason Bitcoin has lived and grown to this point is *not* because it's superior, but because it's born of an ideology that some people very strongly identify with.  Unless that ideology is expanded so that it resonates more with others (women included), it will always occupy only a small niche.

There are >1,000 alts by now.  Most of these suit the technical requirements of most BTC users.  None of them are even close to BTC because they all resonate with the same population.

At this point, it's still not even a male vs. female problem.  It's still a tech-nerd-&-libertarian vs. everyone else problem.

I don't even go across the corner to another gas station if gas is 1%-2% cheaper there.  Don't expect people to flock to BTC in large numbers because of its technical advantages.

Yet another Betamax-vs-VHS trope.

Yeah, we know that technical superiority isn't everything, but the very fact this "experiment" is still thriving to the dismay of large banking institutions and governments that would like to see it dead - I'd call that an achievement.

You'd also know that the gradual acceptance and saturation of a given invention takes longer than the short lifespan that Bitcoin has had. That is, if you were interested in comparing it in a fair manner outside your own personal bias.

Your last sentence seems a bit ironic.  Are you sure the personal bias is mine?  How did you extract any personal bias on my end when I made an outside comparison?

Yes, I would agree Bitcoin's perseverance has been an *outstanding* achievement.  But I don't think it's primarily due to technical superiority, and achieving the success it has certainly doesn't implicate that idea in any obvious way.

However, you agree that technical superiority isn't everything, so I'm not sure what your point is.  But I am under the suspicion that you took offense to my post by first 1) reading deeper into my post than I had intended and extracted what you belief is a criticism of Bitcoin's technical features (it's not), and then 2) reacting to it because you identify with it.

I identify with Bitcoin, too.   I use it, and despite my luck, I give myself a pat on the back from time to time from having the insight to continue my involvement in this community.  But the point of my post wasn't a knock on BTC's specs, but on the overemphasis of these specs on adoption rates.  If point #2 in my previous paragraph is in any way correct, then you are reinforcing my point.

Imagine someone invents a handgun for personal defense that, for the sake of argument, has the remarkable ability to always target and kill only people engaging in a current act of violence.  It is impossible for this gun to kill an innocent person.

Hands down, this gun is not only better, but is literally the epitome of an effective self-defense weapon.

And nobody will buy the gun unless they not only identify with the belief that it is okay to react violently in self-defense, but identify with it enough so that they are motivated to actually go out of their way and do something about it.

People need to be motivated to use Bitcoin.  Specs alone will never cut it.  If they did, we'd have dozens (if not hundreds) of alt-coins with hands-down superior specs dominating BTC's market cap.

My general analysis is this:  BTC is the poster-child for decentralized cryptocurrencies, and its technical features are viewed as "good enough."  BTC is used primarily because it appeals to people with both certain ideologies and skill sets, and secondarily because of social consensus, i.e. those people who fall into those categories of ideologies and skill sets are generally homogenized.  It doesn't really matter which crypto everyone is using, they will all feel comfortable using it if everyone else is using it.  Its first-mover advantage is the mediating factor which helps explain its perseverance, and from it follows all the VC money flowing into business and infrastructure development.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 10:15:10 PM

That would be logical, but logic isn't the strong suite of the SJW.

This. The only way to win is not to play.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: