Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:49:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What about our old miners?  (Read 3430 times)
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:15:14 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2015, 05:53:38 PM by PremiumCodeX

Hello everyone!

What about our miners? As an user of Block Erupter ASIC Miner I used to mine within 2013 but I stopped in the end of 2014 when it was becoming impossible to mine with only 0.333 Ghash/sec. Plus, the GPU that mines at the same hash rate and a second computer with a smaller GPU that mines 80 Mhash/sec.

Does someone know how could we use them in a better condition than letting them mine with almost no chance to earn a small fragment of BTC?

What about our old miners? Many of them used to be interesting in 2011 and 2012. However, we are seeing how fast the BitCoin Network is growing, how fast is this decentralised network getting higher and higher. Today, there are more professional miners than casual miners because of the fact that Bitcoin mining became a more difficult task unless if we mine into an alternative coin. Anyone have an idea how can we give a second change to these little miners in order to still profit from the device? Anything that could be used with this type of device...

Thank you for your answers in advance!

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:25:37 AM

See this pre-existing thread: Non-Bitcoin Uses for Old ASIC Miners?

That said...
As an user of Block Erupter ASIC Miner I used to mine within 2013 but I stopped in the end of 2014 when it was becoming impossible to mine with only 0.333 Mh/s.
Check out: Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery

northwesttactical

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:11:34 AM

I use my negative-profitable Antminer S1 for heating my house in the winter now! It almost makes enough to pay for its electricity bill and make heating free!!! That is honestly the only use for them nowadays. I think it would be cool if you could program them to secure your server network system or something but not sure if its possible.
RaginglikeaBoss

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

Never before 11 P.M.

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2015, 02:39:55 AM

This is the underlying weak point of ASIC's for any task.  Bleh.  Space heaters and noise boxes.

MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2015, 02:44:37 AM

Older mining equipment can still be used assuming you don't pay for electricity..

Sadly, most people do not have access to said free electricity and thus old mining equipment is obsolete in terms of BTC gained.
That being said if you are one of the lucky ones to have free hydro i would suggest starting threads and seeing if you can get some GH/s.

You may never get the shipping cost back.. But at the very least you'll be making the network more secure with your ancient mining gears.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 04:08:26 AM

I use my negative-profitable Antminer S1 for heating my house in the winter now! It almost makes enough to pay for its electricity bill and make heating free!!! That is honestly the only use for them nowadays. I think it would be cool if you could program them to secure your server network system or something but not sure if its possible.
You use it for heating your house??? what a sad fate Sad
If you ever have any idea to sell it? maybe someone would buy it, and you can get your last profit for your negative-profitable.

faucet used to be profitable
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 06:05:21 AM

Older mining equipment can still be used assuming you don't pay for electricity..

Sadly, most people do not have access to said free electricity and thus old mining equipment is obsolete in terms of BTC gained.
That being said if you are one of the lucky ones to have free hydro i would suggest starting threads and seeing if you can get some GH/s.

You may never get the shipping cost back.. But at the very least you'll be making the network more secure with your ancient mining gears.

if your electricity is high, you can send your old miners to some hosting facility where it is cheap and mine from there

but i think those old miners can be recycled in some way? maybe not the chip but the board for sure, and the case too

they could re-use those, to down the price of the new asic generation
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 05:26:40 PM

Is there some way to use old ASIC miners to do stuff like password cracking or anything useful?
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 05:46:52 PM

depends.) if you are talking about FPGA or GPU, for sure you can play with it and learn something..but ASIC is designed "only" to do one single "task"..
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 06:03:48 PM

Is there some way to use old ASIC miners to do stuff like password cracking or anything useful?
Did you just ask the same question that was in the original post, was already answered for this thread, and has pointers to previous threads that also covered this?  Rhetorical question - the answer is "yes".  Read up Smiley

man114

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 05:31:43 AM

I use them to heat in the winter upstairs and keep the basement dry in the summer (I also keep an Avalon down there because my wood stove rarely allows the furnace to run). I use a block erupter cube in place of a space heater in my breezeway at times. It's like cutting the electrical bill because you get something back in return.
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:11:45 PM

Donate them to bitcoin museum.

Kyle1836

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 12:51:00 AM

Old ASIC's are still useful, they can heat your house AND make you money  Cheesy

photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:50:29 AM

unplug them

jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2090
Merit: 1394

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:37:48 PM

keep it for when the price goes back to 1k?  Grin

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 10:52:49 PM

You can probablly still sell the chips on the boards?

That might be worth something, if people are into modding for that specific model. But, this varies of course not a huge market of demand only just possible option.

Or just try to accept a better deal on ebay, and at least get like $20 minimum for it, also depends on the model etc.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 03:30:56 AM

There is no point holding onto these old relics.  Should the Bitcoin/fiat price ever spike you can be sure the unethical manufacturers would have no problem deploying their newest miners.  If it's not worth it to mine on the miner now, then it most likely would be better to just buy bitcoin with fiat currently and hold in anticipation.
myveryown

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:46:00 AM

How about using it to mine a n other SHA256 based coin ? its not just bitcoin thats built around sha256
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 09:48:32 AM

How about using it to mine a n other SHA256 based coin ? its not just bitcoin thats built around sha256

All SHA256 coins which is worth mining has high difficulty. It's better to give it to a school for experiments or mine an altcoin for fun.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:58:21 PM

Or keep it for 50+ years to have a museum piece in the future. (as long as bitcoin goed mainstream and You keep it in a good condition that is ofcourse!)

Heating works well, but the noise is quite unwanted Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: