Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:39:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-08-28 huffingtonpost.com - Chomping At The Bitcoin - The Ups And Downs Of C  (Read 5737 times)
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:34:50 PM

I don't think she understands.
you can explain to her,i think she is here  Cheesy
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15672.msg1137784#msg1137784

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:20:00 PM

Lol, "largest"
Largest volume? MtGox/Silkroad
Most transactions? SatoshiDICE
Most company members? BitInstant (?)
Biggest deposit taker? Bitcoin Savings & Trust

Largest is such a funny word

Largest company members: Bitcoin Magazine, no contest.

Did you put on weight or something?  Huh
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 07:37:14 PM

yeah, I'd like to have seen demurrage discussed more deeply (not because I think it's a good idea, but because I think it can't work), but maybe these forums are a better place than a mainstream tv format with a (deliberately) dumb blonde.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of demurrage and would love to see a big experiment on it but it would not work with a store of money and only with a governmental money that can be printed at will. Anyway, there is discussion about this here in the forum already and I turned sort of into a skeptic of combining demurrage with a bitcoin-based currency. Most likely it is impossible. (20% new money every year would have that effect but with anonymous users and a proof of work that would mean 20% of the world economy would go into mining. With "proof of identity mining" it could work with a massive incentive to trick the system and also I want bitcoin for it being cash online.)

I don't like/understand your comment on the "dumb blond". She is not into bitcoin for 2 years posting hundreds of questions. Also she asked the questions from a standpoint prior to her own research and did not at all make the impression of a deliberately dumb person.

I really do think fundamentally understanding how bitcoin works is necessary to be able to trust it.
I studied maths and consider myself predestined for understanding bitcoin. Still barely a day goes by that I don't feel like having more insight today than yesterday. I see it as our job to answer all questions of interested people in a profound and easy way so that they can answer questions with confidence knowing whom to point to for more detailed questions so that the 3rd line can know people that know people that really know bitcoin and trust it. You will never get 7 billion people to understand bitcoin. Most likely not even 7 million.
It would actually be a dramatic waste of time to force feed the bitcoin white paper to everybody in the world yet that would be only the bare minimum to understanding bitcoin.
I hope for a world where people know that they can still use bitcoin tomorrow because experts checked it just like people know they are able to fly cause experts built planes (or wing suits Smiley ) for them.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
beckspace

Activity: 931

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:43:14 PM

I hope for a world where people know that they can still use bitcoin tomorrow because experts checked it just like people know they are able to fly cause experts built planes (or wing suits Smiley ) for them.

+1.

Bitcoin, come fly with us.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:06:28 PM

Regarding Bitcoin's gender skew, some good news.

I just noticed this woman has made two videos...and both of them are about Bitcoin!

https://www.youtube.com/user/gwendolynbell

Not sure how influential she is or can be, but perhaps she will eventually become a female spokesperson for Bitcoin, which could help make the idea & technology less intimidating in certain contexts.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:27:35 PM

I just noticed this woman has made two videos...and both of them are about Bitcoin!

Not sure how influential she is or can be, but perhaps she will eventually become a female spokesperson for Bitcoin, which could help make the idea & technology less intimidating in certain contexts.

I prefer ladybytes.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:43:55 PM

I don't think she understands.

yeah, lol. well, true... but!!! she's in the spirit!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:44:28 PM

Very nice video, too bad it was so short and we didn't really see a discussion .
Yep, I'd have spent a whole evening explaining her the laws of mathematix and stuff, Not on-line though Roll Eyes

you'd end up fucking her... not the worst of options available.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:48:44 PM

yeah, I'd like to have seen demurrage discussed more deeply (not because I think it's a good idea, but because I think it can't work), but maybe these forums are a better place than a mainstream tv format with a (deliberately) dumb blonde.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of demurrage and would love to see a big experiment on it but it would not work with a store of money

there has been a "big" experiment in some village in austria or switzerland, I don't recall... (someone chip in!). I think it only works at gunpoint and more valuable (storable) currencies will eventually take over.

I'm not sure about the ethical implications.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 10:53:27 PM

I'm still intrigued by the idea of demurrage and would love to see a big experiment on it but it would not work with a store of money

there has been a "big" experiment in some village in austria or switzerland, I don't recall... (someone chip in!). I think it only works at gunpoint and more valuable (storable) currencies will eventually take over.

If you are referring to the "original" experiment conducted in Wörgl, this I am aware of. I would like to see an experiment of this scale being repeated and well documented. It's really hard to get scientific data on the Wörgl experiment.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:54:52 PM

I'm still intrigued by the idea of demurrage and would love to see a big experiment on it but it would not work with a store of money and only with a governmental money that can be printed at will. Anyway, there is discussion about this here in the forum already and I turned sort of into a skeptic of combining demurrage with a bitcoin-based currency. Most likely it is impossible. (20% new money every year would have that effect but with anonymous users and a proof of work that would mean 20% of the world economy would go into mining. With "proof of identity mining" it could work with a massive incentive to trick the system and also I want bitcoin for it being cash online.)

I don't like/understand your comment on the "dumb blond". She is not into bitcoin for 2 years posting hundreds of questions. Also she asked the questions from a standpoint prior to her own research and did not at all make the impression of a deliberately dumb person.

I really do think fundamentally understanding how bitcoin works is necessary to be able to trust it.
I studied maths and consider myself predestined for understanding bitcoin. Still barely a day goes by that I don't feel like having more insight today than yesterday. I see it as our job to answer all questions of interested people in a profound and easy way so that they can answer questions with confidence knowing whom to point to for more detailed questions so that the 3rd line can know people that know people that really know bitcoin and trust it. You will never get 7 billion people to understand bitcoin. Most likely not even 7 million.

this!!, couldn't agree more.

It would actually be a dramatic waste of time to force feed the bitcoin white paper to everybody in the world yet that would be only the bare minimum to understanding bitcoin.

I've been "trying to invent" "online money" back in the nineties. So maybe I'm pre-supplied with necessary bits of knowledge... but I still think understanding how bitcoin works is possible for anyone sane, even for 7 million individuals.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:56:22 PM

I prefer ladybytes.

+1, too bad she wont be at the conference.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:57:56 PM

If you are referring to the "original" experiment conducted in Wörgl, this I am aware of. I would like to see an experiment of this scale being repeated and well documented. It's really hard to get scientific data on the Wörgl experiment.

thanks for chipping in relevant bits ("Wörgl"). You think it might work? Did it work out in Wörgl?

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 11:12:35 PM

It's really hard to get scientific data on the Wörgl experiment.

Quote from: wikipedia
the "experiment" was terminated by the Austrian National Bank on the 1st September 1933[4][5]

that's scientific (observational) data enough for me.

and our Chiemgauer you can observe all the time.  Cheesy

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 04:27:13 AM

It's really hard to get scientific data on the Wörgl experiment.

Quote from: wikipedia
the "experiment" was terminated by the Austrian National Bank on the 1st September 1933[4][5]

that's scientific (observational) data enough for me.

and our Chiemgauer you can observe all the time.  Cheesy

Another quote from the German Wikipedia: "Nach Androhung von Armeeeinsatz beendete Wörgl das Experiment im September 1933."
(After threatening to use the military, Wörgl terminated the Experiment in September 1933.)

With scientific data I did not mean clear signs of the experiment having been a success by the banks sending the cavalry. Rather a repeated experiment with today's scientific standards.

ɃɃ
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 09:00:59 AM

Economics is not an exact science. You can't isolate humans with some soil and resources into a laboratory.  Angry

It's a social science. And I'd say for a regional currency demurrage is essential,
* because it encourages spending this currency instead of the national, thus boosting the local economy, and
* because otherwise in such a small economy, some will hoard too much, distribution would become too uneven and the money supply would become unstable.

But I'm for something like Ripple for a regional economy anyway, we don't need monetary systems with centrally managed supply anymore, as we're living in the information age.

And in the global scope, like intended with Freicoin, demurrage still doesn't make much sense for me. As many on this board would say, it's the production and not the consumption that matters.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:24:55 PM

Economics is not an exact science. You can't isolate humans with some soil and resources into a laboratory.  Angry

It's a social science.
The standard disclaimer of social engineers everywhere to preemptively explain why their policies always seems to make everybody (except them and their friends) worse off.

* because otherwise in such a small economy, some will hoard too much, distribution would become too uneven and the money supply would become unstable.
This statement does not parse into something comprehensible unless "hoarding" is understood to mean, "retaining purchasing power earned by deferred consumption" and "unstable" is understood to mean, "impossible for the issuer to counterfeit in large quantities without attracting pitchforks and torches".
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:27:51 PM

Oh Janet....
I would drink a gallon of her pee, just to see where it came from.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 04:43:18 PM

Oh Janet....

Why so disgusting and sexist? I don't have a clear picture of your overall post quality but this post alone is worth an ignore.

ɃɃ
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:12:55 PM

I don't think most people fundamentally understand what it means to say that the US dollar is only backed by the "full faith and credit of the United States government." Yet, people still trust it because it has worked for them in the past.

Of course, past performance is not an indicator of future success...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: