Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:07:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3K worth of mining equipment did it all fail?  (Read 3692 times)
tachi641 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:34:16 PM

Hi Folks,

I recently spent around 3k on hardware. I have several of these riggs made, and need some rescuing.

Motherboard is MSI 890FXA - it has 5 PCIe X16 Slots. I bought some extensions for them that will come soon.

I have 2 6950s plugged into each rig so far, no cross fire, no dummy plugs. My Riggs will run for about an hour then go into a black screen state and not do anything...

My powersupply is 1k Watt Kingwin,

What seems to be the problem here does anyone know?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:37:22 PM

1kW PSU seems a bit skinny, but oughtta work.

what have you been doing with the cards?  what OS and mining program?

what clocking have you done?

but - most importantly - what temps were they at when they crashed?
richwest

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Is this a Windows or a Linux system? If Windows check the event log and see if anything is logged when the problem occurs. If Linux check /var/log/messages and other log files in the same folder.

It could be related to some power saving feature/drivers. Test whether you get the same problem when you are not mining. If not then monitor the temperatures of the graphics cards, see what temperature they get to just before the problem occurs and whether it may be heat related. If that doesn't shed any light on it either then maybe try with just one card in case the problem is power related.
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:42:20 PM

Hi Folks,

I recently spent around 3k on hardware. I have several of these riggs made, and need some rescuing.

Motherboard is MSI 890FXA - it has 5 PCIe X16 Slots. I bought some extensions for them that will come soon.

I have 2 6950s plugged into each rig so far, no cross fire, no dummy plugs. My Riggs will run for about an hour then go into a black screen state and not do anything...

My first thought on the black screen is overheating. If they are overheating, and the drivers crashing, causing the system to look hung, then you should hear the card fans idle down.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
tachi641 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:42:37 PM

1kW PSU seems a bit skinny, but oughtta work.

what have you been doing with the cards?  what OS and mining program?

what clocking have you done?

but - most importantly - what temps were they at when they crashed?

Currently, it is at stock setting for clock rate. It is running on windows 7. I have no idea when they crash as it sits in another room. But The temps are around 66C and holds every 15 min I check.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 09:43:02 PM

My Riggs will run for about an hour then go into a black screen state and not do anything...

You have turned off screen saver, display power saver, system standby mode, etc?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:44:47 PM

the implication of your post is that you have more than one rig running, they are identical, and they have the same problem.

so it probably isn't the motherboard, or the cards.

i figure it's either heat or the PSUs are overtaxed.
tachi641 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:46:21 PM

the implication of your post is that you have more than one rig running, they are identical, and they have the same problem.

Well Right now, only 1 rigg has been put together. It is only running 1 card, because I dont have dummy plugs yet, they are coming. Since it's crashing with 1 card I am getting worried.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 09:48:45 PM

Well Right now, only 1 rigg has been put together. It is only running 1 card, because I dont have dummy plugs yet, they are coming. Since it's crashing with 1 card I am getting worried.

ahh.  an entirely different kettle of fish.

put in a different card.  try to duplicate the problem.  then, if it duplicates, try a different PSU.  etc.
tachi641 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 10:22:32 PM

put in a different card.  try to duplicate the problem.  then, if it duplicates, try a different PSU.  etc.

Okay Cool, TY I think, the problem was that power saver mode would kick in every 30 minutes... I just shut that off. I'll report back if it works. Thanks for all the help folks.
finack

Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 10:31:14 PM

My Riggs will run for about an hour then go into a black screen state and not do anything...

I know someone already mentioned this, but I'd be real suspicious that it is going into sleep/standby mode and either isn't making it or isn't waking up properly. Are all the fans running at the same speed or loudness that they are when everything is working? If you move the mouse every 15-30 minutes can you prevent it from happening? Does the video card seem to be pushing the same amount of heat out of the back as when it's all working?
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:53:41 AM

yeah finack : Checking power settings would be a good starting point.  Check them all, because defaults sometimes have hard disk turn off after so long, pci-e, and standby.

Have you checked temps in catalyst control center?

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 02:12:29 AM

Hi Folks,

From experience I would say the problem is the power supply.  Kingwin is OK.  Bitcoin mining needs better then OK hardware. 

Make sure you have turned off all power conserving settings, no screen savers, sleep, hibernate, drive shutdown etc of course. 

chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:03:25 AM

i think power supply problem.
ItsASpork

Activity: 82

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:07:05 AM

Try swapping power supplies and see if you have the same issue. Do the same with the GPU.

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:14:00 AM

Lol guys have you not seen that the problem is already solved?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
EpicBacon

Activity: 94

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:19:09 AM

I'll report back if it works.
Lol guys have you not seen that the problem is already solved?
But he said he would report back and then never said anything...
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:39:28 AM

Okay Cool, TY I think, the problem was that power saver mode would kick in every 30 minutes... I just shut that off. I'll report back if it works. Thanks for all the help folks.

He did report back --- POWER SAVE MODE kicking in every 30 mins  ... I've been there !

I was thinking it was that as I read this. I knew it could not be the PSU, unless a faulty PSU, as I have an 800w psu with my 2x 6950 cards... that PC is primarily a gaming machine, though.
EpicBacon

Activity: 94

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:40:48 AM

He did report back --- POWER SAVE MODE kicking in every 30 mins  ... I've been there !

I was thinking it was that as I read this. I knew it could not be the PSU, unless a faulty PSU, as I have an 800w psu with my 2x 6950 cards... that PC is primarily a gaming machine, though.
tachi641 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 04:50:47 PM

Okay, All I wanted to wait a day before I reported back to make sure I had the problem cornered.

So it was indeed window's default power setting. You have to adjust windows powersavings mode to never on all options before you start mining.

With that,

I OC'd all my 6950s now to 840mhz and 20% extra power on the catalyst control center. I wish I can clock them higher, they are stable as a rock, I am getting between 300mhash/s - 325mhash/s per seconds on each card at these settings. Temps are high 60's-c Any way I can push them harder?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: