Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:55:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 0.7.0 release candidate 1 ready for testing  (Read 9743 times)
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 04:57:37 AM

Now I understand your problem, yes that small space is normal, as there is a hidden element that displays immature balance e.g. when you have mined and the amount is not yet ready for spending (has not matured). That is a new GUI feature ... try to mine some blocks on testnet to see it in action.

Dia
Ah I see. I think it would look better if there were no additional space when there's no maturing transactions. Rather, when there are maturing transactions, the extra line is added.

Me too, but the element is disabled but that extra space is still displayed... at least it's a very small glitch.
You are free to open an issue on Github so we can remember, when there is some time left to look at such minor stuff.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jetmine

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:47:16 AM

BIP 34 - block height in coinbase

Is there any web service to see the current ratio of v1 / v2?

Not AFAIK.  If you have access to a bitcoin node, the debug.log file will show

Code:
SetBestChain: some_number of last 100 blocks above version 1

Good to know.  However it won't help as guide for people who are reluctant to update until absolutely necessary - because we won't get this message in our old clients' debug.log right?  I think only a web service can solve this dilema, or a friendly soul who has already updated and posts his debug.log information from time to time for us to see and consider.
Binary Finery

Activity: 44

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 11:03:27 AM

Bitcoin version 0.7.0 release candidate 1 binaries are now available for download at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.7.0/test/

Please use the issue tracker at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues to report bugs.

Notable changes:

Security
--------
* Fixed denial-of-service attacks (disk and CPU exhaustion) related to the alert system

Core bitcoin handling and blockchain database
---------------------------------------------
* Reduced CPU usage, by eliminating some redundant hash calculations
* Cache signature verifications, to eliminate redundant signature checks
* Transactions with zero-value outputs are considered non-standard
* Mining: when creating new blocks, sort 'paid' area by fee-per-kb
* Database: better validation of on-disk stored data
* Database: minor optimizations and reliability improvements
* -loadblock=FILE will import an external block file

Where's the -walldir option? Can anyone explain why it appears so difficult to write some code to separate the wallet.dat file from the blockchain?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104647.0

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 11:12:51 AM

The wiki-entry says
Backward compatibility
All older clients are compatible with this change. Users and merchants should not be impacted. Miners are strongly recommended to upgrade to version 2 blocks. Once 95% of the miners have upgraded to version 2, the remainder will be orphaned if they fail to upgrade.

How do miners have to upgrade? Does this affect the single miner or also miners working in a pool?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 02:31:57 PM

The wiki-entry says
Backward compatibility
All older clients are compatible with this change. Users and merchants should not be impacted. Miners are strongly recommended to upgrade to version 2 blocks. Once 95% of the miners have upgraded to version 2, the remainder will be orphaned if they fail to upgrade.

How do miners have to upgrade? Does this affect the single miner or also miners working in a pool?

Also, It's not explicit what the change is for either. Somehow associated with the block reward change? I kind of hoped all the necessary groundwork would be in place from 0.1.0 (so this is a desirable but not vital alteration?)

Vires in numeris
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 02:47:46 PM

The wiki-entry says
Backward compatibility

Also, It's not explicit what the change is for either. Somehow associated with the block reward change? I kind of hoped all the necessary groundwork would be in place from 0.1.0 (so this is a desirable but not vital alteration?)

The BIP links directly to the code change.  It's hard to be more explicit than that.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 02:51:54 PM

The BIP links directly to the code change.  It's hard to be more explicit than that.

It doesn't explain the reason though. Blockheight-in-coinbase will guarantee that every transaction in the network is unique and has a unique hash, apart from hash collisions.

This is a more fundamental solution than the quick fix that BIP30 provided. You may want to read for some more motivation.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 03:09:54 PM

Solo miners, miners using p2pol, and mining pool operators will eventually have to upgrade.

RE: "Is there any web service to see the current ratio of v1 / v2?"

I bet if you ask nicely blockchain.info will create a page. I expect it to take a long time (a year or more) before 95% of the hashing power has upgraded and is producing v2 blocks.

The getblock RPC call will tell you a block's version number; if you're an old bash user like me then you can do something like:
Code:
last=$(./bitcoind getblockcount);
for (( i=last-100; i <= last; i=i+1 )); do echo -n $i; ./bitcoind getblock $(./bitcoind getblockhash $i) | grep version; done
... to see the version numbers of the last 100 blocks (I see 2 of 100 right now).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 05:55:46 PM

Looks great Smiley  Congrats to Gavin and all devs!  Keep up the good work!
Ummon

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 10:02:47 PM

Hi, congrats for this new release. I'm trying it (on Windows) and it seems blocked and didn't downloaded new blocks for a while, maybe ~1 hour. Here is my log : http://www.gburri.org/bordel/bitcoin_0.7_debug_log.7z

It takes more than 15 seconds to launch it on my computer, takes about 140 Mb of RAM and a lot of CPU. Is there already someone working on the performance issues? Maybe I can help to improve these numbers, I like to profile and to optimize softwares Wink
Diapolo

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 10:09:40 PM

It takes more than 15 seconds to launch it on my computer and takes about 100 Mb of RAM. Is there already someone working on the performance issues? Maybe I can help to improve these numbers, I like to profile and to optimize softwares Wink

Feel free to take a look at the source, but before I would suggest you take a quick tour on how the client is working (databases, block-files and so on), to understand the startup-time and all such stuff.

Dia

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:00:51 PM

would love to test but it gives a version error with p2pool Smiley require 0.5 or higher

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 09:03:36 PM

would love to test but it gives a version error with p2pool Smiley require 0.5 or higher

I believe you need the git version of p2pool.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:22:57 PM

How can I add an ipv6 peer? And does anyone else have a peer I can connect to?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Diapolo

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:48:17 PM

How can I add an ipv6 peer? And does anyone else have a peer I can connect to?

Via -addnode=[2001:470:9ff2:2:a001:3cff:fea5:a49] (that is an example IP, can't say if you are able to connect now).

Dia

Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:52:32 PM

Via -addnode=[2001:470:9ff2:2:a001:3cff:fea5:a49] (that is an example IP, can't say if you are able to connect now).
Example? Thats my address...
And, no, I don't believe its up anymore...

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 05:44:01 AM

So I can't addnode via the RPC console interface? This HAS to be a commandline option?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 05:49:02 AM

So I can't addnode via the RPC console interface? This HAS to be a commandline option?
Unfortunately, that feature missed the cut for 0.7.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 06:02:24 AM

Unfortunately, that feature missed the cut for 0.7.

Oh well, I don't think I was able to maintain any ipv6 connections anyway. I'm behind a tunnel broker, so I don't know if that matters or not. Thanks devs for all the work and I look forward to future releases.

jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 06:20:25 AM

I would like to see this feature in future updates.

Import list or copy/paste list option for mass payouts, the copy paste method for each line item hurts my hands.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: