Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:02:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: theymos, please BAN all common IP sockpuppet accounts  (Read 6072 times)
HeavyMetal

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:35:30 PM

What you are proposing is not technically feasible. Wikipedia learned very early that banning sock puppets based on IPs just does not work. AOL for example mixing up all of its users in the same IP pool, multiple users in different houses will post from the same IP. What is more anyone with a whit of sense can bypass such blocks using TOR or VPNs or even just a web based anonomizer if they are not technical.

It is an endless game of whack-a-mole with no winners and plenty of innocent losers. Best to just judge people on the content of their arguments instead of some concept of identity.

Identity as a basis for trust is over rated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:29:15 PM

Best to just judge people on the content of their arguments instead of some concept of identity.

When people change their identity it is not possible to judge them on the content of their argument as when they changed their identity they also dissociate themselves with their previous arguments.

A way to do it, that I'm sure is going to be deeply unpopular, is to charge a registration fee. Although this would not completely remove sockpuppets it would at lest impose a cost on them. The fees could be used for the good of the community.

HeavyMetal

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:39:58 PM

Best to just judge people on the content of their arguments instead of some concept of identity.

When people change their identity it is not possible to judge them on the content of their argument as when they changed their identity they also dissociate themselves with their previous arguments.

A way to do it, that I'm sure is going to be deeply unpopular, is to charge a registration fee. Although this would not completely remove sockpuppets it would at lest impose a cost on them. The fees could be used for the good of the community.

That would result in a much, much smaller forum.
Coincomm

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:40:26 PM

Yes, previous arguments are very relevant to future and different arguments. People should fully live under the burden of their history. Nothing should be forgiven or forgotten.

Forgiveness will only lead to a society without justice.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:51:18 PM

Yes, previous arguments are very relevant to future and different arguments. People should fully live under the burden of their history. Nothing should be forgiven or forgotten.

Forgiveness is a vital component of justice. If nothing is ever forgiven, no justice can be had.

People should stand by their previous statements, and own the ones they want to make, but if we never forgive, how can we move on? It's the simple wisdom of "Apology accepted."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Coincomm

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:01:00 AM

Forgiveness is a vital component of justice. If nothing is ever forgiven, no justice can be had.

People should stand by their previous statements, and own the ones they want to make, but if we never forgive, how can we move on? It's the simple wisdom of "Apology accepted."

My point exactly. I was being sarcastic.
live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:06:33 AM

That won't only hamper sockpuppets. Potential real users will not want to come. Registrations will plummet to zero. Blogs pick it up. I can see the headlines: "BitcoinTalk worst forum ever; discriminates against free registrations".
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 12:07:30 AM

My point exactly. I was being sarcastic.

Ahh. My mistake.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:35:05 AM

I am going to use your quote, completely OUT OF CONTEXT Wink   (so please bear with me.....lol)

To address the OP, using your reply above: Wouldn't it be nice to see the actual number of people registered and active ? I am sure the stats look impressive, with thousands of user accounts, but I fear that those 'thousands' of user accounts are controlled by only 'hundreds' of actual users...lol

live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:38:49 AM

I am going to use your quote, completely OUT OF CONTEXT Wink   (so please bear with me.....lol)

To address the OP, using your reply above: Wouldn't it be nice to see the actual number of people registered and active ? I am sure the stats look impressive, with thousands of user accounts, but I fear that those 'thousands' of user accounts are controlled by only 'hundreds' of actual users...lol
You mean a block to show all users who logged in during the past 24 hours?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 12:46:37 AM

I don't think it's quite that bad, but yeah, I'd wager the forum's actual membership is a noticeably smaller number than it's registered users.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:35:15 AM

I don't think it's quite that bad, but yeah, I'd wager the forum's actual membership is a noticeably smaller number than it's registered users.
Numbers a bit outdated, but this paints the picture.

Administrator: 2
Brand new (SPAM): 41547
Donator: 76
Founder: 1
Full Member: 996
Global Moderator: 5
Hero Member: 363
Jr. Member: 7612
Newbie (SPAM?): 11220
SCAMMER: 101
Sr. Member: 447
Staff: 18
VIP: 28
Whitelisted: 1
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:43:56 AM

Numbers a bit outdated, but this paints the picture.

Administrator: 2
Brand new (SPAM): 41547
Donator: 76
Founder: 1
Full Member: 996
Global Moderator: 5
Hero Member: 363
Jr. Member: 7612
Newbie (SPAM?): 11220
SCAMMER: 101
Sr. Member: 447
Staff: 18
VIP: 28
Whitelisted: 1

You forgot the most important metric: Atlas alt-accounts. Un-fuckin'-forgivable!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:02:29 PM

theymos, please BAN all common IP sockpuppet accounts.

...that is all.

thanks.
bitlane

<EDIT>
I should add, I have a previous account that I abandoned BEFORE creating this account over 1 year ago, after the Mt.Gox hack....as I got tired of the SPAM emails etc with user lists.
Do you realize that banning ip is idiot and useless?
+1
My question apply to you too.

Dynamic IP, restart the router and someone else will use the banned IP. Result: the sockpuppeter will keep make new accounts and someone else will have problems with the forum because the ip is banned.
Really you don't know that? The INTERNET DETECTIVE?

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:09:06 PM

This argument is pretty much the same as the people who are pro anti gun legislation. Take away the right from everyone because of the potential for misuse by some. So when all sockpuppets are banned, except for the people that figured out how to get around any restriction there is that is, 100% of those sock puppets will continue to be dishonest, scam, what have you, while people are lured into a false sense of security because of course there are no sock puppets because there are measures to reduce them!

Scamming sock puppets = bad
regular sock puppets = who cares?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:15:07 PM

I have to agree.

An outright ban obviously won't work but from an admin side users with more then one user names can be quite obvious.  Iv'e seen this without the ability to see ip addresses, where a trader or a newbee creates multiple accounts to publicly discuss a trade  with themselves  to make a non-existant trade look legitimate.  I'm all for freedom of speech and you can say whatever you want as whoever you want, but when the this ability has a financial impact I'd like to see the admins be more proactive about it.

I'm all for striving to create a safe and responsible trading community.  

Otherwise we all look like idiots.

http://www.dailytech.com/Pirateat40+Makes+Off+56M+USD+in+BitCoins+From+Pyramid+Scheme/article25538.htm

bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:15:32 PM

I agree with this.  As long as scamming isn't involved, if people want to be anon when they give their opinions so they are not linked to their business or dealings they have on the forum or in the community in general, let them.

All voices should be heard no matter how unpopular those opinions may be.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 08:15:29 PM

I agree with this.  As long as scamming isn't involved, if people want to be anon when they give their opinions so they are not linked to their business or dealings they have on the forum or in the community in general, let them.

So you're saying admins should be tasked with determining what is a scam and what isn't? 

That's a nice idea.  Maybe they should be in charge of all the coins too so they can return them when you get scammed. 
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 08:18:27 PM

So you're saying admins should be tasked with determining what is a scam and what isn't? 

That's a nice idea.  Maybe they should be in charge of all the coins too so they can return them when you get scammed. 
So you're saying admins should be tasked with determining who is a sockpuppet and who isn't?

That's a nice idea. Maybe they should be in charge of all the people too so they can imprison them if they are sockpuppets.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 08:27:41 PM

I agree with this.  As long as scamming isn't involved, if people want to be anon when they give their opinions so they are not linked to their business or dealings they have on the forum or in the community in general, let them.

So you're saying admins should be tasked with determining who is a sockpuppet and who isn't?

That's a nice idea. Maybe they should be in charge of all the people too so they can imprison them if they are sockpuppets.

Lets open up a "Sockpuppet internment camp" Subforum. You are restrictes there until you proofe you are not a sockpuppet

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: