Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:08:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Official Pirate Has Defaulted!!  (Read 63456 times)
Slushpuppy

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:07:35 AM

What about using a .bit? Is that popular yet?
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:08:08 AM

In order to claim bankruptcy, he needs a list of his debtors so in the very near future when he is sued by you poor people he has addressed this and he will be scott free due to bankruptcy......

I'm not sure why he needs specific information then, because obviously at least some portion will not respond with their contact info and would just be listed by the originating BTC addresses.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 07:09:11 AM

Im sorry guys..  

But only a few have this figured out...

The reason he wants all the info on the investors is quite simple..

In order to claim bankruptcy, he needs a list of his debtors so in the very near future when he is sued by you poor people he has addressed this and he will be scott free due to bankruptcy......

Wake up and smell the coffee...

I am only here for the popcorn  Smiley

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 07:10:05 AM

What about using a .bit? Is that popular yet?

That works too.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:13:54 AM

I'm not sure why he needs specific information then, because obviously at least some portion will not respond with their contact info and would just be listed by the originating BTC addresses.

In general, insolvency requires people to actively file claims in the appropriate manner by a specific date.  Those claims are then checked against the records of the insolvent entity.  I suspect pirate doesn't have such records and needs to create them.  But yeah, if you fail to file a proper claim against a bankrupt estate you miss out on any distribution (and I suspect a lot of people won't file because doing so would require tying their real world identities to their BS&T transactions).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:21:30 AM

Let's be an asshole and see what BTC transactions were relayed by an IP address pirateat40 has been known to connect from in IRC:

http://blockchain.info/ip-address/108.89.10.213

I found my deposit address for BTCST 7 times on the FIRST page Wink

What I also find AWESOME.... is that some of the BTCST Deposits CLEARLY saw their way to being used for GPUMAX Payouts.

Nail ? Coffin ? LIMITED LIABILITY ?...........hahahahaha

aye, that's the right kind of asshole to be. ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:22:25 AM

In general, insolvency requires people to actively file claims in the appropriate manner by a specific date.  Those claims are then checked against the records of the insolvent entity.  I suspect pirate doesn't have such records and needs to create them.  But yeah, if you fail to file a proper claim against a bankrupt estate you miss out on any distribution (and I suspect a lot of people won't file because doing so would require tying their real world identities to their BS&T transactions).

Hmm. That makes me wonder about the history of the pass-throughs, and if they could possibly be essential to the structure of the whole scheme.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:31:54 AM

So, let's say that Pirate is really this guy and is currently in Texas.

Now, there's the legal way out of it with declaring corporate bankruptcy and fucking everyone over.

Or has he been caught by the Feds for money laundering? And in an agreement to turn states evidence against everyone else involved, he gets to go under the witness protection program.

Oh, the possibilities...

The fact he asked all the PPT guys to hand him over information about their customers is concerning.

This.

I would have thought that the sub accounts were irrelevant to pirate. The whole point of the pass through was that each account wrapped up a whole bunch of stuff he didn't want to take responsibility for. If he's now saying "Yeah actually I want to take responsibility for them," you have to ask yourselves why. Is he because he feels bad and wants to reduce the burden on you, the pass through operator?

Its understandable you'd want to offload your responsibility to your own investors, too, but I would have thought they were investing in you and not pirate, even though you implicitly stated what you were doing. That being said, if he wants to pay back 10% of all outstanding, whats the difference between paying all sub account manually their share (more work), and just giving the PT operator the 10% based on it's account value with him, and letting them pay off their people?

Goat you were right in IRC...something's utterly off about this, and Pirate is black boxing again. "Give me your sub accounts or none of you get anything" is a metaphor for extortion, imo.
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:32:57 AM

lol

a short story of bitcoin

a man promised big earnings
other men trusted him and gave him their money
the man got rich and screw the creditors

... and life goes on ...

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:37:21 AM

I, among many, told you so.

If you want to have more money, you should listen next time.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
sadpandatech

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:41:08 AM

Oh and just in case;

'Who do I notify about a possible fraudulant bankruptcy filing'
http://www.canb.uscourts.gov/faqs#FAQG6  
This is a general rundown of the guidlines and will have different contact info by state.

http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/fraud/index.htm
This one is for the U.S. Trustees at the Department of Justice

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 07:43:31 AM

AS much as I hate to contradict you, The bankruptcy process actually works in the reverse manner. If it worked the way you stated, anybody could file bankruptcy in secret without giving creditors the opportunity to contest. How would a creditor know somebody is filing bankruptcy unless they are listed in the filing and given notice?

It is the responsibility of the person/entity filing for Bankruptcy to list all the creditors in the filing. Any creditor not listed in the filing is excluded from said bankruptcy.

After the filing, all the creditors listed get notice of the filing and are given a deadline to contest the bankruptcy or amount of debt claimed.
There are few reasons why a listed creditor can get an exemption from the bankruptcy, but one of the main reasons is FRAUD.

While it is true a unlisted creditor would lose out on any distribution in the bankruptcy, they will still be able to take any legal action to collect the debt as the bankruptcy does not apply to them. Bankruptcy does not eliminate debt. A bankruptcy is a Federal STAY order barring listed creditors from taking any action to collect a debt outside the conditions of the bankruptcy order (Thus the different types of bankruptcy from full liquidation to various business bankruptcies involving creditors getting certain percentages back etc.)
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 07:48:02 AM

I dont think filing bankruptcy means you can avoid Fraud charges.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 07:50:36 AM

So, let's say that Pirate is really this guy and is currently in Texas.

Now, there's the legal way out of it with declaring corporate bankruptcy and fucking everyone over.

Or has he been caught by the Feds for money laundering? And in an agreement to turn states evidence against everyone else involved, he gets to go under the witness protection program.

Oh, the possibilities...

The fact he asked all the PPT guys to hand him over information about their customers is concerning.

This.

I would have thought that the sub accounts were irrelevant to pirate. The whole point of the pass through was that each account wrapped up a whole bunch of stuff he didn't want to take responsibility for. If he's now saying "Yeah actually I want to take responsibility for them," you have to ask yourselves why. Is he because he feels bad and wants to reduce the burden on you, the pass through operator?

Its understandable you'd want to offload your responsibility to your own investors, too, but I would have thought they were investing in you and not pirate, even though you implicitly stated what you were doing. That being said, if he wants to pay back 10% of all outstanding, whats the difference between paying all sub account manually their share (more work), and just giving the PT operator the 10% based on it's account value with him, and letting them pay off their people?

Goat you were right in IRC...something's utterly off about this, and Pirate is black boxing again. "Give me your sub accounts or none of you get anything" is a metaphor for extortion, imo.

yeah. it was odd hearing him talk like that. it was almost like he had a gun to his head. anyway i guess we will have to sue him to find out unless he tells us.

Whats better than catching 1 money launderer ? Catching 700 of them!   Smiley

sadpandatech

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:52:50 AM

sure doesn't and dreamwatcher is pretty spot on about the order of things.
Firstly, we will be able to see his filing, if there is one, before any official notices are sent out if I am not mistken.
I'll take a good spin thru all the recent TX filings tommorow..

- GA

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 08:07:05 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2012, 08:22:54 AM by repentance

No, it doesn't.  Debts accrued as the result of fraud can't be discharged in bankruptcy.  But fraud is a criminal offence, so creditors need to take positive action to ensure they can establish that the amounts they're owed were acquired by fraud.

If it worked the way you stated, anybody could file bankruptcy in secret without giving creditors the opportunity to contest. How would a creditor know somebody is filing bankruptcy unless they are listed in the filing and given notice?

It is the responsibility of the person/entity filing for Bankruptcy to list all the creditors in the filing. Any creditor not listed in the filing is excluded from said bankruptcy.

You're right that a person seeking insolvency protection is required to list all creditors, who are then notified by the person overseeing the insolvency.  In some jurisdictions the insolvency must also be publicly advertised prior to the close of claims.  Who is regarded as a creditor, what debts are provable in bankruptcy, whether a disputed claim can be included in a bankruptcy, and whether someone can pursue other legal action against a bankrupt person are all jurisdiction specific.  We're presuming for the purposes of this discussion that Texas insolvency law would apply in this particular instance and that it would be a personal bankruptcy.

Also, is it not true that if pirate's scheme was found to be earning money by illicit means then the value of people's claims would be affected (and payments made to some participants may even be clawed back)?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 08:32:16 AM

You're right that a person seeking insolvency protection is required to list all creditors, who are then notified by the person overseeing the insolvency.  In some jurisdictions the insolvency must also be publicly advertised prior to the close of claims.  Who is regarded as a creditor, what debts are provable in bankruptcy, whether a disputed claim can be included in a bankruptcy, and whether someone can pursue other legal action against a bankrupt person are all jurisdiction specific.  We're presuming for the purposes of this discussion that Texas insolvency law would apply in this particular instance and that it would be a personal bankruptcy.

Agreed, funny how bankruptcy is a Federal process yet the states and other jurisdictions can also get there fingers into it.

What I find very interesting is the part I put in bold.

Define the value of BTC in a legal sense. Courts do not deal in  BTC or other digital assets that technically have zero value in the legal system. (There is a reason Blizzard fights hard to make sure that the digital "assets" in their games have no real value legally).

Is the US legal system to go by the value markets in Japan and Russia (Mt. Gox and BTC-E) show it to be? One also must consider what is generally believed to be a hostile attitude the US government has towards BTC.

I would be unsure if a bankruptcy judge would even consider a case like this.

If a bankruptcy filing does occur and a judge accepts it, what does that mean for the legal status of BTC?
Hunterbunter

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 08:35:21 AM

Whats better than catching 1 money launderer ? Catching 700 of them!   Smiley

lol...although weren't the launders the ones buying virgin coins off pirate then selling them on gox?
Hunterbunter

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 08:39:14 AM

yeah. it was odd hearing him talk like that. it was almost like he had a gun to his head. anyway i guess we will have to sue him to find out unless he tells us.

Interesting thought...you think it's possible that whoever pirate had a RL relationship with is now fucking with him?

If not that, then a lawyer or his dad over his shoulder has my guess.
Comodore

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 08:40:15 AM

Lol, I was almost sure of this. Great game pireteat40. Idiots are everywhere. Is there a new ponzi emerging? I think there will be, soon, but I am not willing it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: