Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:51:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet showing 0.00 BTC after transfering 10 BTC  (Read 984 times)
synchronize (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:47:00 AM

I made a new wallet by copying my existing wallet from users\user\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin wallet.dat to wallet-current.dat and then started the bitcoin client which made a new wallet. I took the address from the new wallet and copied it and then made a backup of the new wallet to wallet-new.dat and then copied wallet-current.dat to wallet.dat and transfered 10 BTC to the new wallet's address which is: 17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7

Here is the blockchain info:

http://blockchain.info/address/17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7

When I copy wallet-new.dat to wallet.dat the client shows 0.00 BTC. The client was left overnight and is still showing 0.00 BTC. In the receive coins this wallet has this address 17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7 so they were sent to the right place. Can anyone help me figure out where the coins have gone? I have the wallet file (encrypted) if you want to see for yourself the problem. Any help / ideas on this would be appreciated. I don't feel very good about bitcoin if I can't easily move coins to a new wallet without there being this kind of problem. I've done this before without a problem and have no idea why this would be happening. Please advise. If the wallet can show me my 10 BTC I will award 1 BTC for the help. Thanks.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:48:50 AM

the coins are there.. try bitcoin-qt -rescan

poop!
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:50:15 AM

I read somewhere (I don't have a source, as usual) that using different wallet files can cause problems with the blockchain files. You could try re-downloading the blockchain with the correct wallet loaded.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:52:13 AM

I made a new wallet by copying my existing wallet from users\user\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin wallet.dat to wallet-current.dat and then started the bitcoin client which made a new wallet. I took the address from the new wallet and copied it and then made a backup of the new wallet to wallet-new.dat and then copied wallet-current.dat to wallet.dat and transfered 10 BTC to the new wallet's address which is: 17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7

Here is the blockchain info:

http://blockchain.info/address/17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7

When I copy wallet-new.dat to wallet.dat the client shows 0.00 BTC. The client was left overnight and is still showing 0.00 BTC. In the receive coins this wallet has this address 17EqDyqej2z6jN6osv1hJNvKPJAmni34T7 so they were sent to the right place. Can anyone help me figure out where the coins have gone? I have the wallet file (encrypted) if you want to see for yourself the problem. Any help / ideas on this would be appreciated. I don't feel very good about bitcoin if I can't easily move coins to a new wallet without there being this kind of problem. I've done this before without a problem and have no idea why this would be happening. Please advise. If the wallet can show me my 10 BTC I will award 1 BTC for the help. Thanks.
Is the client fully updated with the blockchain? (the right hand corner should show a tick if it's so.)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:57:16 AM

Yeah, you'd have to reload and do a rescan with the wallet. Stop the client. Copy the wallet. Start with a rescan.

Worst case scenario, copy the wallet to a freshly, newly installed client and let it redownload the block chain. If you can see it on blockchain.info then you're BTC are there.

synchronize (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:34:55 AM

the coins are there.. try bitcoin-qt -rescan

I was able to solve the issue by getting help from #bitcoin-otc from nanotube who told me to do the rescan which worked. Donation sent to #bitcoin-otc on nanotube's request.

I had no idea how fast the response would be here so I think it is only fair to send at least a small token to you as well dirtycat because your solution was correct. Please send over an address and I'll send a few bucks your way.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: