Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 11:44:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A suggestion to the alt + bittorrent devs: PopcornTime.  (Read 1298 times)
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:17:20 AM

Like Storj?  http://storj.io

That looks quite smart, very well put together. How does it look from a distribution standpoint, it seems to also be investor based but investment can often ruin a project if not done right.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:36:20 AM

I wonder how this would work? So the Blockchain would be used as an identifier or maybe even the enabler of the download? Lets say all the data was converted to blockchain, wouldn't the data be irreversible as long as it's held? Maybe you could get issued credits for being a content seeder?
You can update the site and use latest update.. Only owner of the pvt key who created it can update it.. I'm thinking however a decentralized p2p file storage may be another storage options.

I've long thought that bittorrent would be a better way to connect Blockchains as well, break up the data across many people so everyone has a piece of the whole, streaming of the Blockchain. What about Namecoin? wasn't it's bitDNS idea supposed to be something like that?
Namecoin introduced aliases.. In syscoin we did the same.. In order to achieve ddns you need a DNS server running or a custom browser to pull the data/url from the blockchain via rpc calls. We took aliases to another level in syscoin allowing you to send recv coins via aliases and any other call or service that takes in a normal address you can pass in alias there.

If we store in the blockchain we get a lot of benefits but bloat is big issue so I have been thinking of pruning which would remove expired aliases and their associated data. Idea would be similar to p2p which require you to keep your node up serving the files... With this approach however you know expiry dates and can come back online to do an update so it won't expire for another period of time. This would reduce bloat issues..

The distributed file storage is appealing because it allows people to store chunks.. Storj is interesting in that you are paid for giving storage.. I'm not sure what happens if you are hosting a chunk amd you go offline.. How that file gets distributed without your chunk in a timely manor. Storj lets other coins become tokens.. Opal used storj using opal coins as tokens but since switched to some other file transfer technology not sure why.
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1436

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:42:40 AM

Like Storj?  http://storj.io

That looks quite smart, very well put together. How does it look from a distribution standpoint, it seems to also be investor based but investment can often ruin a project if not done right.

No idea about the distribution.  But they had a Storj presale...  That usually isn't good distribution-wise.  I hope they do well though.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████