Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:34:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: JUST HAD 0.92329 BTC STOLEN - HOW???  (Read 8293 times)
bennybong (OP)

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:11:51 PM

A laptop (with elctrum) and a PC yes. Problem?

Yes, asking for charity is slightly inappropriate under such circumstances because:

1) This all could be an orchestrated ruse to get some free BTC and apparently small amounts of BTC is a big deal to you

2) You really need to secure you computers first and practice better security in general even if you have 2 devices (there could be cross contamination.

I am not assuming anything but that is kinda how it looks when people overtly ask for charity right after being hacked.

I'm just pissed of because I just spent the last of my cash and lost it almost instantly. fml

Oh and I'm a fairly respected member here. Do you think this some kind of scam?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:15:01 PM

I'm just pissed of because I just spent the last of my cash and lost it almost instantly. fml

Yeah, I think you are sincere and is just a very unfortunate experience. You still need to change all your passwords and do 2 reinstalls , and quarantine a lot of your data first until we know exactly how this happened. Hopefully he explains more details soon as he indicated.

Oh and I'm a fairly respected member here. Do you think this some kind of scam?

No, I think you are sincere , but unfortunately many hero accounts are sold off.

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:15:07 PM

A fake electrum server is highly unlikely. Electrum "server" is a bad way to describe it, they are essentially electrum "nodes". There is no trust involved when using an electrum server, they can tell what your IP is and what your Bitcoin addresses are, but they have no ability whatsoever to steal funds. A vulnerability that allowed the server to steal funds in the way the OP described is highly unlikely, as the only task the server does is let the client know about transactions their addresses received, and said information is verified by the client against other nodes.

Based on the blockchain messages I would think that the hacker is likely reading this thread therefore I would suspect it was a more targeted attack as he likely knows the OP had an account here.

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 04:22:06 PM

It's weird that the bitcoins just arrived in your account and it got transferred in 1 minute. All say that Electrum is safe and this cannot happen unless your PC has been compromised. The transaction note as well is weird and if it's an error from Electrum, you can expect your money back as this might have happened with many other users as well.

bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:23:06 PM

well which are trusted servers for electrum ?
If i browse through that list i see alot of names but most look at least nasty
bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:24:40 PM

It's weird that the bitcoins just arrived in your account and it got transferred in 1 minute. All say that Electrum is safe and this cannot happen unless your PC has been compromised. The transaction note as well is weird and if it's an error from Electrum, you can expect your money back as this might have happened with many other users as well.

Shall I contact electrum do you think?
Blazr

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:25:18 PM

well which are trusted servers for electrum ?
If i browse through that list i see alot of names but most look at least nasty

There is no need to trust your electrum server much, all they do is give your client transaction data about your addresses and that information is checked against other nodes. They do however have the ability to know your IP address and Bitcoin addresses, so you should only use servers that you think will respect your privacy and use Tor if necessary.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:25:32 PM

Good idea.

Blazr

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:25:56 PM

It's weird that the bitcoins just arrived in your account and it got transferred in 1 minute.

That isn't weird at all. This happens all of the time with hacked brainwallets etc

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:29:12 PM

I am still thinking that it is not a problem of electrum, a 'bug'. Check again your personal computer.

It's weird that the bitcoins just arrived in your account and it got transferred in 1 minute.

That isn't weird at all. This happens all of the time with hacked brainwallets etc

Electrum seed is different than the passphrase of a brainwallet, or am I wrong?

bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:29:50 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2015, 04:41:43 PM by bronan

Need to know if my friends are safe, if there is a flaw in electrum
My first question is did you try using any trojan scan tools

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/malware-removal-windows

Try at least to see if there is no nasty stuff on your computer, to make sure its not any of that.

lol non of my friends installed the 2.x they are on 1.9.8

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:30:06 PM

Another transaction : https://blockchain.info/it/tx/8a47c42aa28aefe9f47f28777c319265998730b6bf5fa0a3aadcd85f76c50906

This time with only 0.00003 bitcoin as fee. I'm so curious to see if he will add a blockchain.info tag also to that bitcoin address.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 04:31:25 PM

Definitely do that. It seems to be an error from their end and I hope you get your money back.

Also, try to restore your computer to an earlier date when it was working fine to delete any virus (in case it was infected).

So fast? You mean his account was hacked from first? It's quite unlikely and since I have no experience with electrum, it can be a possibility.

Blazr

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:32:20 PM

It is different, however it can be cracked in the same way, for example if you made up your own seed, one that is easy to remember, people often do things like this and if you do that it likely won't be very random and is vulnerable like a brainwallet. It is also possible that the hacker found the wallet file and noticed it was empty, so he set up his PC to sweep it once funds were transferred to it.

Blazr

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:34:44 PM

Definitely do that. It seems to be an error from their end and I hope you get your money back.

I seriously doubt it is a bug in electrum, nothing in this thread has indicated so, it looks like OP's private keys were compromised somehow.

bennybong (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:34:59 PM

It's moved

https://blockchain.info/address/14GhadwWV4uaoxWZcNrnU3zWkTrtHbCF2T
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:35:10 PM

Another transaction : https://blockchain.info/it/tx/8a47c42aa28aefe9f47f28777c319265998730b6bf5fa0a3aadcd85f76c50906

This time with only 0.00003 bitcoin as fee. I'm so curious to see if he will add a blockchain.info tag also to that bitcoin address.

I'm quoting myself : aLL bTc in my handz SWX (https://blockchain.info/it/address/14GhadwWV4uaoxWZcNrnU3zWkTrtHbCF2T).

It is different, however it can be cracked in the same way, for example if you made up your own seed, one that is easy to remember, people often do things like this and if you do that it likely won't be very random and is vulnerable like a brainwallet. It is also possible that the hacker found the wallet file and noticed it was empty, so he set up his PC to sweep it once funds were transferred to it.

But it is so complicated to 'find' or crack 12 words (the electrum seed).
Ghris

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:37:45 PM

I'm quoting myself : aLL bTc in my handz SWX (https://blockchain.info/it/address/14GhadwWV4uaoxWZcNrnU3zWkTrtHbCF2T).

Wait, are you quoting your forum message or are you quoting "your" tag?  Grin

Sorry for your loss OP. But I have a feeling this is done by a troll that might give it back eventually.
Blazr

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:38:22 PM

If your twelve words are all the same word it isn't. Sometimes people "pick" their own seeds that are weaker.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 04:38:34 PM

Windows 7 and VMware from encrypted container running Ubuntu
Likely the problem is here, how good is the entropy of this encryption?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: