Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:36:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is this? Someone found a trick for fast mining?  (Read 15807 times)
valiron (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:37:04 AM

I have been called a liar, a scammer, an ignorant, a dishonest person, you have insulted me several times...

You look really respectful of others opinions and open minded around here....

I would like to discuss only technical facts and statistics. After all this is a subforum for "Technical discussions". So, please, stop it. I demand some respect. I wonder why all this hostility...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

I have been called a liar, a scammer, an ignorant, a dishonest person, you have insulted me several times...

You look really respectful of others opinions and open minded around here....

I would like to discuss only technical facts and statistics. After all this is a subforum for "Technical discussions". So, please, stop it. I demand some respect. I wonder why all this hostility...

If you want some respect the best thing to do is to be honest. Have you ever tried to do the homework (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045381.msg11268521#msg11268521) I gave you? If that's too trouble to collect the nonce here you are:

Code:
4158183488 (nonce of block 200000)
2860276919 (nonce of block 200001)
1473171346 (nonce of block 200049)

As soon as you do it you will see why your claims were ridiculous.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 10:26:58 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 11:20:27 AM by gmaxwell

You will agree that this facts are independent by themselves. You will agree that they happen rarely with a small probability. The probability of seeing them simultaneously is small.
You add: "This is your test for a specific non-disclosed mining optimization." No, it is not. This is my test to detect that something out of normal is happening.
Don't insist on this line. I have withdraw any claim about mining optimization. Why are you insisting into something that I won't discuss?
You accuse me of divagating but here you chase the optimization tangent which to say you've dropped at the expense of completely ignoring my argument that your own overfit criteria actually precludes your hypothesis that something "out of normal going on"; since exclusion of your training sample from the test observations results in no hits against your proposed criteria.

I did ask a very simple question and you are unable to answer it in simple form: "how would you go about proving that this is out of normal?". Let me rephrase: What is sufficient evidence to infer that something out of your knownledge is going on?
This is a question that ask working scientists ask themselves all the time.
And I thought I answered it adequately, I would only find behavior rare if it was surprising in light of a model that wasn't already fit to the self-same data.

From what you tell you seem to refuse that there is any anomaly if you don't have a working hypothesis
When the behavior can also be explained by "yes, these numbers could have arisen by chance", then I do expect to have a model before I conclude that they're actually surprising.

There is no "ideal way to reason about thing".
I didn't say it was the only way to do so, it was a suggested example idealized approach; offered with the hope of being constructive and not merely repeating that your reasoning was defective without offering an alternative approach.

Yea...so astronomers noticing the advance of the Mercury perihelion
Mercury's precession isn't noticeable or interesting at all without some kind of model. If your theory of the solar system is that the planets just wander around, any sequence of moves doesn't seem especially surprising.

Obviously we can make such assumptions with more knowledge. Let me try something that can pass your censorship: I guess we agree that the main variable for mining a block is the header of the (double) hash of the previous block. If you knew the hash in advance you would be able to premine the block. By "premine" I mean doing most of the computation work well in advance (nothing spurious suggested by "premine", just "pre"-doing the work). The Merkel root tree hash can be kept static except maybe for impact of the extranounce (for example when you mine 1 transaction blocks).

Awesome!  So we can finally talk about something specific and technical!

You're talking about using the midstate, as it's normally called;   hashing a block header involves running the SHA256 compression function 3 times. One to ingest the first part, leaving the 64 byte midstate, one to digest the end, and then a final one on the output.  Because the nonce is at the end of the header one can perform 4 billion runs of the latter two compression runs without repeating the first.  The midstate optimization was mentioned in the second page of this thread.  It's an optimization exists in every miner, it was used in the original Bitcoin software while CPU mining; it's enshrined into the getwork protocol (the original remote mining protocol); it's established in the publicly documented interfaces of mining asics-- they are usually setup to receive midstates, not headers from their control systems.  It is effectively impossible to write miner software without being comfortable working with a midstate plus a tail.  P2Pool even uses this characteristic of the merkle damgard design to reduce its communications costs (it needs to prove a piece of data with a particular hash ends with a particular suffix, so it communicates just the midstate and the final piece).

As an aside, the merkel root cannot be kept static across multiple blocks, it must be recomputed every block, even if you are mining a one transaction block, because the block height is required in the coinbase transaction; and of course changing that or the extranonce or anything else in the block changes the merkel root completely.  If you were able to keep it static, it would mean creating a duplicate coinbase transaction; which is prohibited by the network; but if it weren't prohibited it would destroy the prior one and deprive you of your newly mined Bitcoins from it.

You will agree that someone with a performing mining algorithm will have a lot of advantage by witholding mined blocks in order to speed up the mining of the next ones and then releasing them in a short time.
I will not. This is now unrelated to the point you made above: The computation to generate the midstate is generally insignificant.  My laptop can generate something on the order of 40 million midstates per second, with the factor of ~4 billion increase from nonce rolling, this one laptop could support midstate generation for nearly the entire network; if anyone worried too much about midstate generation speed, they'd move it onto an ASIC (or just a FPGA); and a single part could easily have 10 or 100 times what my laptop can generate;-- since midstate generation work is 1:2^33 that of the mining in total (assuming the whole nonce range is used, but you can see that taking a factor of 2 or 4 here or there doesn't change things much-- and thus my point before about miners not using the whole nonce range; there is no need to because midstate generation is still cheap).

Generally by withholding blocks you disadvantage yourself because you will lose a race (the network prefers the first in the face of ties, specifically to avoid incentives to delay blocks); without an information advantage (e.g. MITM other participants) you must have a very significant total fraction of the hashrate before any delay of your announcements is not a spectacular loss. This has been studied to some extent in the literature; the most optimistic simulations which assume no latency show in the no information advantage has no amount of withholding avoids being a loss until over the 1/3rd of total hashrate case.

leading to sequences of nearby mined blocks. If he wants to conceal this fact he will mine the blocks anonymously (or with another miner that he controls). This means that we have to pay particular attentiion to close by mined blocks of anonymous origin. And we have to pay special attention to similarities that can reveal that the same miner is behind these blocks
It would be great to prove that this miners are distinct and independent, but they may be collaborating. Event if these miners are independent they may be using the same algorithm that produces similar output.

It seems nothing can disprove your belief.  You say it would be the same miner producing the blocks but when presented with evidence that it is different miners, you argue that he would conceal it. Why did we even look to apparently non-anonymous miners in the first place?   While doing so, you ignore strong evidence against your theory:  That at least two people independently observed those blocks arriving on the network minutes apart; not in a bunch as your block withholding model would predict (and not as you initially believed them to be).

If you were willing to argue that the blocks arriving at the same time, when you were mislead by the data on BC.i, was strong evidence; you ought to be willing to admit that when you find they arrived without bunching that this undermines your theory.

Could you cut this short, don't divagate, and just let us know how you will proceed in order to prove that a sequence of nearby consecutive nounces is out of normal?
How many nounces and with what proximity your criteria will show that they are our of normal?
I have provided my answer on this. We are still waiting yours. Your answer must contain a number and a % proximity. For me n=3 events and a geometric mean of prob of the order of 1% starts to trigger my interest, and light a red flag if
this occurs combined with other unusual coincidences.
Well... I know from past experience that encountering events with probability under 1:2^90, without my expectation being fixed by the data in advance, when I expected a random outcome triggered in me fairly strong confidence that something structured was happening and spent time searching for an answer; but I still did not exclude the possibility that it could be a coincidence.

This is all irrelevant because you're ignoring the model complexity and that is an absolutely critical term which cannot be discounted: I would not be surprised by a complex model I just fit against the data that I'm testing it on. It will always match. If I were to be surprised by this I would be making an error in judgement. I have made similar errors in judgement in the past but I would be unlikely to do so now unless I was tired or ill.

Your comment here of "1% starts to trigger my interest, and light a red flag" makes me laugh out loud. There are 144 blocks in a day (and thus 144 overlapping three block windows).  If you really have your attention caught by 1% events then you would be constantly exhausted by them occurring almost every day, often multiple times.  I am imagining a movie conspiracy theorist with a bunch of sticky notes on a wall and string run between them.  "ITS ALL CONNECTED", ... sorry.

Please don't waste the forums time with observations at the once a day level; none of us have the patience for it.  If you really want to work yourself up over some criteria that will happen constantly by chance, in private-- thats your own decision, but please don't inflict it on the rest of us.

You are wrong. I have retracted and erased all comments (if I have overlooked any, please let me know), in particular those that you quote (where did you get the quote?). Obviously I cannot erase people quoting me. You should ask them.
I think you must have overlooked them, I quoted-- they should be easy to find. One is in the very first message. Please note the forum logs edits.

Edit: Thanks they're gone now.

extreme aggressivity at me for mentioning the possibility that algorthms boosting the performance of mining may exist
I've participated and contributed to many minining optimizations discussions-- at least back when they were frequently interesting; I have no objection to that.

I have made crystal clear what my complaint was at every instant and moment:  You pointed to some random, uninteresting blocks, alleged on a flimsy basis that they were evidence for a secret mining optimization, known to you but which you wouldn't discuss.  I'm glad you're retracting your statements now.  But this smelled like a scam, it's nothing personal.

You have been manipulative from the beginning accusing me of threatening bitcoin security.
Secret substantial mining optimizations would be a threat to Bitcoin security (if they were real), the level depending on how significant they were; because if significant enough they could undermine the decentralization of mining which is critical to the system's security assumptions.  I have always thought it was unlikely that there was an actual threat there which you were aware of-- initially on the basis that not so long ago you were asking very uninformed questions about mining, but its not impossible that someone new to the subject might discover something that has evaded the analysis of so many others over the past 6 years. My comment there was if I were to accept your belief then it was an additional reason why you should disclose.

Well, my friend, some people reading us are not that naive as you might think.
I'm really not sure how I should understand that.

What is worrisome, really worrisome, is your attitude. People may think that you know about these boosting algorithms and you are just trying to conceal them
from public knowledge
Oh how perfectly diabolical of me to use reverse psychology! You've uncovered my true plan: to conceal the secrets of mining by insisting you reveal them to the public if you're going sulk about claiming to know things! How could you have figured me out! oh no!

using your power position as moderator. In particular, you admitted that you are actively mining, therefore you are incurring in an obvious conflict of interest: I can state, as disclaimer, that I don't mine..
LOL. It almost makes up for all the irritation, so funny;  Actually my comment was "it's the behavior of hardware sitting right next to me"; I was referring to a Bitmain S1 which my foot was propped up on at the time and which hasn't been turned on in months.

But again I should be awed by your incredible sleuthing-- I am actually mining, with downclocked SP20 at 1.27TH/s. With my $0.35/kwh marginal power this costs me somewhat under $200/mo to operate. The P2Pool stats page says that the income is ~0.0107btc/day.  So you've totally caught me in my evil plot to prevent people from competing with me for my $130/month _loss_;  where by I must spin an elaborate information concealing campaign on the forum in order to lose less money, because simply _pressing an off switch_ is far too difficult for my feeble brain to handle. I truly have been educated stupid, and my participating in mining could have nothing to do with my support for the Bitcoin system and my @#$@# development of the @$#@$ Bitcoin software. Not a chance. It's all a conspiracy. You caught me.

(I'm thankful for your confession of non-participation; always good to know when the writer doesn't have direct experience in the subject! Smiley )

But I am not. I trust your good faith. Even though...I don't like to go into maters discussed in private messages, but since you go into it, I could also go into it and remind you that you wrote something that sounds very disturbing...(and to what I don't give a fuck as I explained to you by choosing the precise wording).
Feel free to quote my whole messages if you like; though I expect they'll reflect poorly on you-- not me.

You attribute yourself the privilege to talk in the name of the whole community. On which grounds?
I don't-- I speak to my personal responsibility and the what I feel is my share of the collective responsibility.  But-- if I were to speak for others...

Your position as moderator and developer gives a valuable opinion (more than mine in the eyes of the community, no question about that),
... these might be some pretty good reasons to do so. But, as I said-- I'm not. I even specifically called out in my prior message that I was just speaking as an ordinary community member. Anyone is free to disagree as you have so vigorously done.

we have discovered is that you don't have any serious background on statistics or probabilities.
Among other professional pursuits which required a strong command of probabilities, I spent over a decade working on the design of compression formats; so this is a bit amusing too. While none of my formally peer reviewed publications have been squarely statistically directed, many things I've published professionally or casually have also required fairly significant statistical work-- such as fault tolerance design for large scale communications networks and predictive failure monitoring-- this may be part of why I quickly observed the flawed reasoning like failing to compensate for drawing your parameters from your data, or the impact of multiple comparisons-- none of it is a mystery but its surprising to laymen without a working experience with probability.

There is much that I do not know, thats for sure-- and I am constantly learning new things... and while I'm also sure that there are many things I could learn from you, on the particular subject of working with this kind of data, it seems that most of that would come in the form of observing your errors. I hope you could share this learning with me, but I fear your credentials have blinded you to recognizing the possibility that you're actually far off the mark this time--  you're resorting to increasingly tortured adhomenem, and at this point I can only laugh at it.

Ah, I missed this earlier (it was burred under an untrimmed quote of my graphs):
You cannot deny that there is an advantage in using the timestamp field partly as nounce for mining.
I most certainly can! I did above, in my comments related to mid-state, which apply just as well to recomputing a new merkle root. Some amount of mining gear is able to do ntime rolling, I don't believe many (or any) use it anymore; and I think its actually incompatible with most stratum pools, but I'd have to check to be sure.  It isn't a useful advantage because the savings it provides is so enormously removed from the scale of mining that it doesn't matter. Any improvement prior to the nonce increment is effectively reduced several billion fold-- it's like saving 90% of a drop of water relative to the ocean, 90% is a lot of the drop, but nothing of the ocean.  Ntime rolling was historically interesting because prior to getblocktemplate and stratum, a remote miner required network traffic every time the nonce space was exhausted and this could produce high load on pools; the ability for remote miners to increment an extranonce themselves in both of the newer remote miner protocols largely made ntime rolling obsolete.

I would like to discuss only technical facts and statistics. After all this is a subforum for "Technical discussions".
Thats what the subforum is for; I'm glad you've now joined its purpose. The complaint all along was that your posts were not conducive to that but instead to something else.  Now that thats cleared up, I'm not sure what else is there to say--  in the post I'm responding to here you seem to be saying that 1% events with unspecified other coincidences are deserving your attention.  With moderator hat on-- I'm going to ask you to not create threads in this subforum for 1%/block level events without a good, clearly stated, technical analysis that gives a rational basis to believe they're not a once a day pure chance false alarm.  ... Your first abrasive message to the thread was the second post with "Last, don't insult our intelligence."-- many people have read and responded patiently. My passive patience ran out at about your dozenth post in the thread. It happens some times, I'm sure all of us are warn out from the argument.
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:31:30 AM

You accuse me of divagating......................

I think you have spent too much time on this nonproductive thread.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:36:50 AM

I demand some respect.
Respect is earned, not given. You have already received a great deal more respect than you rightly deserve, and you did not return the excess. Your demand is unreasonable.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 11:21:11 AM

You will agree that this facts are independent by themselves. You will agree that they happen rarely with a small probability. The probability of seeing them simultaneously is small.
You add: "This is your test for a specific non-disclosed mining optimization." No, it is not. This is my test to detect that something out of normal is happening.
Don't insist on this line. I have withdraw any claim about mining optimization. Why are you insisting into something that I won't discuss?
You accuse me of divagating but here you chase the optimization tangent which to say you've dropped at the expense of completely ignoring my argument that your own overfit criteria actually precludes your hypothesis that something "out of normal going on"; since exclusion of your training sample from the test observations results in no hits against your proposed criteria.

I did ask a very simple question and you are unable to answer it in simple form: "how would you go about proving that this is out of normal?". Let me rephrase: What is sufficient evidence to infer that something out of your knownledge is going on?
This is a question that ask working scientists ask themselves all the time.
And I thought I answered it adequately, I would only find behavior rare if it was surprising in light of a model that wasn't already fit to the self-same data.

From what you tell you seem to refuse that there is any anomaly if you don't have a working hypothesis
When the behavior can also be explained by "yes, these numbers could have arisen by chance", then I do expect to have a model before I conclude that they're actually surprising.

There is no "ideal way to reason about thing".
I didn't say it was the only way to do so, it was a suggested example idealized approach; offered with the hope of being constructive and not merely repeating that your reasoning was defective without offering an alternative approach.

Yea...so astronomers noticing the advance of the Mercury perihelion
Mercury's precession isn't noticeable or interesting at all without some kind of model. If your theory of the solar system is that the planets just wander around, any sequence of moves doesn't seem especially surprising.

Obviously we can make such assumptions with more knowledge. Let me try something that can pass your censorship: I guess we agree that the main variable for mining a block is the header of the (double) hash of the previous block. If you knew the hash in advance you would be able to premine the block. By "premine" I mean doing most of the computation work well in advance (nothing spurious suggested by "premine", just "pre"-doing the work). The Merkel root tree hash can be kept static except maybe for impact of the extranounce (for example when you mine 1 transaction blocks).

Awesome!  So we can finally talk about something specific and technical!

You're talking about using the midstate, as it's normally called;   hashing a block header involves running the SHA256 compression function 3 times. One to ingest the first part, leaving the 64 byte midstate, one to digest the end, and then a final one on the output.  Because the nonce is at the end of the header one can perform 4 billion runs of the latter two compression runs without repeating the first.  The midstate optimization was mentioned in the second page of this thread.  It's an optimization exists in every miner, it was used in the original Bitcoin software while CPU mining; it's enshrined into the getwork protocol (the original remote mining protocol); it's established in the publicly documented interfaces of mining asics-- they are usually setup to receive midstates, not headers from their control systems.  It is effectively impossible to write miner software without being comfortable working with a midstate plus a tail.  P2Pool even uses this characteristic of the merkle damgard design to reduce its communications costs (it needs to prove a piece of data with a particular hash ends with a particular suffix, so it communicates just the midstate and the final piece).

You will agree that someone with a performing mining algorithm will have a lot of advantage by witholding mined blocks in order to speed up the mining of the next ones and then releasing them in a short time.
I will not. This is now unrelated to the point you made above: The computation to generate the midstate is generally insignificant.  My laptop can generate something on the order of 40 million midstates per second, with the factor of ~4 billion increase from nonce rolling, this one laptop could support midstate generation for nearly the entire network; if anyone worried too much about midstate generation speed, they'd move it onto an ASIC (or just a FPGA); and a single part could easily have 10 or 100 times what my laptop can generate;-- since midstate generation work is 1:2^33 that of the mining in total (assuming the whole nonce range is used, but you can see that taking a factor of 2 or 4 here or there doesn't change things much-- and thus my point before about miners not using the whole nonce range; there is no need to because midstate generation is still cheap).

Generally by withholding blocks you disadvantage yourself because you will lose a race (the network prefers the first in the face of ties, specifically to avoid incentives to delay blocks); without an information advantage (e.g. MITM other participants) you must have a very significant total fraction of the hashrate before any delay of your announcements is not a spectacular loss. This has been studied to some extent in the literature; the most optimistic simulations which assume no latency show in the no information advantage has no amount of withholding avoids being a loss until over the 1/3rd of total hashrate case.

leading to sequences of nearby mined blocks. If he wants to conceal this fact he will mine the blocks anonymously (or with another miner that he controls). This means that we have to pay particular attentiion to close by mined blocks of anonymous origin. And we have to pay special attention to similarities that can reveal that the same miner is behind these blocks
It would be great to prove that this miners are distinct and independent, but they may be collaborating. Event if these miners are independent they may be using the same algorithm that produces similar output.

It seems nothing can disprove your belief.  You say it would be the same miner producing the blocks but when presented with evidence that it is different miners, you argue that he would conceal it. Why did we even look to apparently non-anonymous miners in the first place?   While doing so, you ignore strong evidence against your theory:  That at least two people independently observed those blocks arriving on the network minutes apart; not in a bunch as your block withholding model would predict (and not as you initially believed them to be).

If you were willing to argue that the blocks arriving at the same time, when you were mislead by the data on BC.i, was strong evidence; you ought to be willing to admit that when you find they arrived without bunching that this undermines your theory.

Could you cut this short, don't divagate, and just let us know how you will proceed in order to prove that a sequence of nearby consecutive nounces is out of normal?
How many nounces and with what proximity your criteria will show that they are our of normal?
I have provided my answer on this. We are still waiting yours. Your answer must contain a number and a % proximity. For me n=3 events and a geometric mean of prob of the order of 1% starts to trigger my interest, and light a red flag if
this occurs combined with other unusual coincidences.
Well... I know from past experience that encountering events with probability under 1:2^90, without my expectation being fixed by the data in advance, when I expected a random outcome triggered in me fairly strong confidence that something structured was happening and spent time searching for an answer; but I still did not exclude the possibility that it could be a coincidence.

This is all irrelevant because you're ignoring the model complexity and that is an absolutely critical term which cannot be discounted: I would not be surprised by a complex model I just fit against the data that I'm testing it on. It will always match. If I were to be surprised by this I would be making an error in judgement. I have made similar errors in judgement in the past but I would be unlikely to do so now unless I was tired or ill.

Your comment here of "1% starts to trigger my interest, and light a red flag" makes me laugh out loud. There are 144 blocks in a day (and thus 144 overlapping three block windows).  If you really have your attention caught by 1% events then you would be constantly exhausted by them occurring almost every day, often multiple times.  I am imagining a movie conspiracy theorist with a bunch of sticky notes on a wall and string run between them.  "ITS ALL CONNECTED", ... sorry.

Please don't waste the forums time with observations at the once a day level; none of us have the patience for it.  If you really want to work yourself up over some criteria that will happen constantly by chance, in private-- thats your own decision, but please don't inflict it on the rest of us.

You are wrong. I have retracted and erased all comments (if I have overlooked any, please let me know), in particular those that you quote (where did you get the quote?). Obviously I cannot erase people quoting me. You should ask them.
I think you must have overlooked them, I quoted-- they should be easy to find. One is in the very first message. Please note the forum logs edits.

extreme aggressivity at me for mentioning the possibility that algorthms boosting the performance of mining may exist
I've participated and contributed to many minining optimizations discussions-- at least back when they were frequently interesting; I have no objection to that.

I have made crystal clear what my complaint was at every instant and moment:  You pointed to some random, uninteresting blocks, alleged on a flimsy basis that they were evidence for a secret mining optimization, known to you but which you wouldn't discuss.  I'm glad you're retracting your statements now.  But this smelled like a scam, it's nothing personal.

You have been manipulative from the beginning accusing me of threatening bitcoin security.
Secret substantial mining optimizations would be a threat to Bitcoin security (if they were real), the level depending on how significant they were; because if significant enough they could undermine the decentralization of mining which is critical to the system's security assumptions.  I have always thought it was unlikely that there was an actual threat there which you were aware of-- initially on the basis that not so long ago you were asking very uninformed questions about mining, but its not impossible that someone new to the subject might discover something that has evaded the analysis of so many others over the past 6 years. My comment there was if I were to accept your belief then it was an additional reason why you should disclose.

Well, my friend, some people reading us are not that naive as you might think.
I'm really not sure how I should understand that. In the light of the weak hypothesis that you were trying to find a suckerbuyer for your theories...

What is worrisome, really worrisome, is your attitude. People may think that you know about these boosting algorithms and you are just trying to conceal them
from public knowledge
Oh how perfectly diabolical of me to use reverse psychology! You've uncovered my true plan: to conceal the secrets of mining by insisting you reveal them to the public if you're going sulk about claiming to know things! How could you have figured me out! oh no!

using your power position as moderator. In particular, you admitted that you are actively mining, therefore you are incurring in an obvious conflict of interest: I can state, as disclaimer, that I don't mine..
LOL. It almost makes up for all the irritation, so funny;  Actually my comment was "it's the behavior of hardware sitting right next to me"; I was referring to a Bitmain S1 which my foot was propped up on at the time and which hasn't been turned on in months.

But again I should be awed by your incredible sleuthing-- I am actually mining, with downclocked SP20 at 1.27TH/s. With my $0.35/kwh marginal power this costs me somewhat under $200/mo to operate. The P2Pool stats page says that the income is ~0.0107btc/day.  So you've totally caught me in my evil plot to prevent people from competing with me for my $130/month _loss_;  where by I must spin an elaborate information concealing campaign on the forum in order to lose less money, because simply _pressing an off switch_ is far too difficult for my feeble brain to handle. I truly have been educated stupid, and my participating in mining could have nothing to do with my support for the Bitcoin system and my @#$@# development of the @$#@$ Bitcoin software. Not a chance. It's all a conspiracy. You caught me.

(I'm thankful for your confession of non-participation; always good to know when the writer doesn't have direct experience in the subject! Smiley )

But I am not. I trust your good faith. Even though...I don't like to go into maters discussed in private messages, but since you go into it, I could also go into it and remind you that you wrote something that sounds very disturbing...(and to what I don't give a fuck as I explained to you by choosing the precise wording).
Feel free to quote my whole messages if you like; though I expect they'll reflect poorly on you-- not me.

You attribute yourself the privilege to talk in the name of the whole community. On which grounds?
I don't-- I speak to my personal responsibility and the what I feel is my share of the collective responsibility.  But-- if I were to speak for others...

Your position as moderator and developer gives a valuable opinion (more than mine in the eyes of the community, no question about that),
... these might be some pretty good reasons to do so. But, as I said-- I'm not. I even specifically called out in my prior message that I was just speaking as an ordinary community member. Anyone is free to disagree as you have so vigorously done.

we have discovered is that you don't have any serious background on statistics or probabilities.
Among other professional pursuits which required a strong command of probabilities, I spent over a decade working on the design of compression formats; so this is a bit amusing too. While none of my formally peer reviewed publications have been squarely statistically directed, many things I've published professionally or casually have also required fairly significant statistical work-- such as fault tolerance design for large scale communications networks and predictive failure monitoring-- this may be part of why I quickly observed the flawed reasoning like failing to compensate for drawing your parameters from your data, or the impact of multiple comparisons-- none of it is a mystery but its surprising to laymen without a working experience with probability.

There is much that I do not know, thats for sure-- and I am constantly learning new things... and while I'm also sure that there are many things I could learn from you, on the particular subject of working with this kind of data, it seems that most of that would come in the form of observing your errors. I hope you could share this learning with me, but I fear your credentials have blinded you to recognizing the possibility that you're actually far off the mark this time--  you're resorting to increasingly tortured adhomenem, and at this point I can only laugh at it.

Ah, I missed this earlier (it was burred under an untrimmed quote of my graphs):
You cannot deny that there is an advantage in using the timestamp field partly as nounce for mining.
I most certainly can! I did above, in my comments related to mid-state, which apply just as well to recomputing a new merkle root. Some amount of mining gear is able to do ntime rolling, I don't believe many (or any) use it anymore; and I think its actually incompatible with most stratum pools, but I'd have to check to be sure.  It isn't a useful advantage because the savings it provides is so enormously removed from the scale of mining that it doesn't matter. Any improvement prior to the nonce increment is effectively reduced several billion fold-- it's like saving 90% of a drop of water relative to the ocean, 90% is a lot of the drop, but nothing of the ocean.  Ntime rolling was historically interesting because prior to getblocktemplate and stratum, a remote miner required network traffic every time the nonce space was exhausted and this could produce high load on pools; the ability for remote miners to increment an extranonce themselves in both of the newer remote miner protocols largely made ntime rolling obsolete.

I would like to discuss only technical facts and statistics. After all this is a subforum for "Technical discussions".
Thats what the subforum is for; I'm glad you've now joined its purpose. The complaint all along was that your posts were not conducive to that but instead to something else.  Now that thats cleared up, I'm not sure what else is there to say--  in the post I'm responding to here you seem to be saying that 1% events with unspecified other coincidences are deserving your attention.  With moderator hat on-- I'm going to ask you to not create threads in this subforum for 1%/block level events without a good, clearly stated, technical analysis that gives a rational basis to believe they're not a once a day pure chance false alarm.  ... Your first abrasive message to the thread was the second post with "Last, don't insult our intelligence."-- many people have read and responded patiently. My passive patience ran out at about your dozenth post in the thread. It happens some times, I'm sure all of us are warn out from the argument.

Wow. What an ego?! It's even bigger than mine.  Smiley
gmaxwell, have you ever in your life confessed when you're wrong? Well, just asking...
lontivero

Activity: 164
Merit: 126

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:19:52 PM

You accuse me of divagating......................

I think you have spent too much time on this nonproductive thread.

This thread is not more interesting and doesn't provide any new information nor learning issues. It is clear for me that Valiron won't share any secret algorithm. It is also very clear he didn't have a question but a theory instead. Also, the arguments are changing continuously. I think this is not productive at all. It's enough for me (and probably for others too).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:33:21 PM

Thank you gmaxwell. As always bringing the facts. Tip sent!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:06:22 PM

The time between blocks is random, 10 minutes is the *average.* Theoretically, we could be very unlucky and not find a block for a year.  Grin

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
JeromeL

Activity: 554
Merit: 11

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:42:39 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 11:19:42 PM by JeromeL

Lol. At least this thread proves that gmaxwell is not satoshi.

"Sorry if you don't believe me, I don't have time to convince you".

He knew how to get rid of trolls.

valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:37:05 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 07:25:25 AM by valiron

Statistics of nounces since 2013
===================

Min.   1st Qu.    Median      Mean   3rd Qu.      Max.
8.130e+03 1.079e+09 2.147e+09 2.144e+09 3.208e+09 4.295e+09

Distribution of the 140411 nounces appears uniformly distributed (except slighty off at the very end of the range)

Histogram of nounces:

Nounce of block 354641 is within 0.048% of the total range from 2^31.

There are 159 occurences of nounces  within an interval of length 2x0.048=0.096% centered at 2^31 which count for 0.11% of the total of 140411.

Nounce of block 354642 is within 0.20% of the total range from 2^31.

There are 577 occurences of nounces within an interval of length 2x0.20=0.4% centered at 2^31 which count for 0.41% of the total of 140411.

There are 14194 nonces within an interval of length 10% from 2^31 whcih count for 10% of the total of 140411.

Nounces appear to be uniformly distributed, in particular around 2^31.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 01:49:04 AM

For the love of god, make this thread stop. At the very least, stop calling them nounces. I penned numerous responses to this thread and deleted them every time when I reminded myself of how this thread progresses...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:57:53 AM

For the love of god, make this thread stop. At the very least, stop calling them nounces. I penned numerous responses to this thread and deleted them every time when I reminded myself of how this thread progresses...
Why stopping? It is fun and educational read about how to become a crackpot. It isn't very interesting technically or mathematically, but it is quite educational from the psychological point of view. The cryptocoin community will soon probably need an equivalent of the well-know "crackpot index" from the physics community.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:24:18 AM

Whatever, but nonces appear uniformly distributed contradicting the arbitrary claims of some people that pretend to be knowledgeable.

Anyone is free to interpret the data and the facts as he wish. From my part I will only provide data and no comments.

(this is a subforum on "Technical Discussion")
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:30:07 AM

Whatever, but nonces appear uniformly distributed contradicting the arbitrary claims of some people that pretend to be knowledgeable.

Anyone is free to interpret the data and the facts as he wish. From my part I will only provide data and no comments.

("Technical Discussion" vs. "trolling")

With all these data, how do you arrive the question in your topic, i.e. "WTF is this? Someone found a trick for fast mining?"

valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:35:14 AM

With all these data, how do you arrive the question in your topic, i.e. "WTF is this? Someone found a trick for fast mining?"

As said; "Anyone is free to interpret the data and the facts as he wish."

Some knowledgeable people argued using the non-uniformity of the distribution of nonces. Ask them why this was necessary.

Have a good day Sir.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 09:00:00 AM

HAH.  You seem to forget even your own posts so quickly "(except slighty off at the very end of the range)".  And I provided specific, concrete examples of the very software and hardware that produces those effects.

I also countered your points _assuming_ uniformity, only noting that the distribution was known to be non-uniform and pointing out why; to point out that this assumption was known to be approximate. You might note that I never attempted to characterize the actual non-uniformity, and all the examples I gave were based on uniform numbers.

I note, several more days have passed and no more blocks have again matched your criteria--- I was sad to see that you declined to further discuss the "optimization" you discussed after I pointed out that midstate handling is universally used in all mining systems and has for the life of the system.

provide data and no comments.
Funny, I guess contradicting yourself about uniformity and insulting the knowledge of others must not be comments. Smiley

Bringing me to why I actually came here to post:

Why stopping? It is fun and educational read about how to become a crackpot. It isn't very interesting technically or mathematically, but it is quite educational from the psychological point of view. The cryptocoin community will soon probably need an equivalent of the well-know "crackpot index" from the physics community.

Actually this was already done a long time ago;
https://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/crackpot.html

valiron (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:22:33 PM

HAH.  You seem to forget even your own posts so quickly "(except slighty off at the very end of the range)".  And I provided specific, concrete examples of the very software and hardware that produces those effects.

I also countered your points _assuming_ uniformity, only noting that the distribution was known to be non-uniform and pointing out why; to point out that this assumption was known to be approximate. You might note that I never attempted to characterize the actual non-uniformity, and all the examples I gave were based on uniform numbers.

I note, several more days have passed and no more blocks have again matched your criteria--- I was sad to see that you declined to further discuss the "optimization" you discussed after I pointed out that midstate handling is universally used in all mining systems and has for the life of the system.

provide data and no comments.
Funny, I guess contradicting yourself about uniformity and insulting the knowledge of others must not be comments. Smiley

Bringing me to why I actually came here to post:

Actually this was already done a long time ago;
https://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/crackpot.html

Dear Mr Maxwell,

Let's try to not make it personal and focus on Technical Discussion for the benefit of the Technical Discussion. I will do my part.

The non-uniformity of the nonce distribution at the end of the range is expected because many miners increase the nonce from 0 to 2^32-1 stopping when they find a match, thus it is expected that the end of the range is less frequent. This is what we already pointed out from the beginning  jl2012 and myself:

Nonce are not uniformly distributed because miners always start scanning from 0. Therefore, small nonce is more likely to be found on the blockchain.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985846.0

Let's look closer at nounces:

We assume that nounces are uniformly distributed (not exactly true since if we start increasingly with nounce 0 they follow a Poisson law, but taking into account that nounce cycles many times before finding the solution it is well approximated by the uniform distribution).

But this non-uniformity at the end of the range on which you focussed is irrelevant for the question discussed.
What is relevant for the discussion is to know if the nonce distribution is uniform in the small range where the nonces of these blocks do cluster, which is not at the end near 2^32, but at the middle range around 2^31.
This is the reason why I carried further analysis in the neighborhood of this middle point at 2^31

Nounce of block 354641 is within 0.048% of the total range from 2^31.

There are 159 occurences of nounces  within an interval of length 2x0.048=0.096% centered at 2^31 which count for 0.11% of the total of 140411.

Nounce of block 354642 is within 0.20% of the total range from 2^31.

There are 577 occurences of nounces within an interval of length 2x0.20=0.4% centered at 2^31 which count for 0.41% of the total of 140411.

There are 14194 nonces within an interval of length 10% from 2^31 whcih count for 10% of the total of 140411.

Nounces appear to be uniformly distributed, in particular around 2^31.

I hope this clarifies things.

jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:33:52 PM

I hope this clarifies things.

I hope everyone don't go off-topic and focus on the question "Someone found a trick for fast mining?"

I can't see any clues for supporting this hypothese with your latest data

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 06:11:09 PM

valiron,

Nobody's perfect. Everyone is wrong sometimes, even gmaxwell, and even you. But consider for a moment this bar graph:

Either:
  • You are wrong, and everyone else is right
  • You are right, and everyone else is wrong
  • Someone has launched a Sybil attack against you

It takes an enlightened individual to conclude that they are likely in err despite that they may not realize why. If 10 people I respect tell me I am wrong, I have to accept that conclusion even if I do not understand why.

Of course, I would seek to understand why I am wrong, but it is not the onus of these other 10 people to be my teacher. (The fact that gmaxwell has voluntarily chosen to try to teach you, and has shown so much patience in the process, certainly says something about his character.)

I mean no disrespect. I only hope that you can be this type of enlightened individual.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: